The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
sandro
They don't have a distinct "black culture". They adopted the post-war working ethic (which was largely generated by the welfare-state), and nowadays everyone watches mtv anyway and
white people want to be tupac

I dispute the assertion that there is no distinct black culture; the idea is intellectually problematic for a start. A recent study found that academic underachievement has little to do with cultural assimilation. Ethnic retention (immigrant families and people of colour embracing their own ethnic values and practices) is actually an indicator of educational achievement. Blacks, however, are the only ethnic group which continually struggle to improve themselves.

If they do not have their own culture then their problem is genetic.
Reply 221
evantej
I dispute the assertion that there is no distinct black culture; the idea is intellectually problematic for a start. A recent study found that academic underachievement has little to do with cultural assimilation. Ethnic retention (immigrant families and people of colour embracing their own ethnic values and practices) is actually an indicator of educational achievement. Blacks, however, are the only ethnic group which continually struggle to improve themselves.

A Carribean-British immigrant culture has developed over the years (and there are also lots of different African immigrant cultures). But if you want to find the inspiration for their under-achievement, then why look further than our native proletarian (post-welfare state) culture? To me it seems that they just adopted the local attitude. The problem is then precisely the opposite to what you claim - i.e. that they were all too well assimilated into our traditional class system.
It annoys me when people leave their buggies in the door way and fart in the underground.
Im the opposite.

I grew up in Brent in North West London, i was cast in Indian plays and was in African plays at school since i was six.

Only about 30% of my class were white.

Looking back, I loved it. At the time i thought the whole world was undivided and full of this type of multi-culturalism. (too bad its not:frown: )

I didnt hear about racism until i left London for Ireland, where most people at the time had never seen a black man or woman in person.

I think living in a 99.9999% white area really made me lose my knowledge about different cultures, as there was alot of ignorance in rural Ireland about other cultures.
At first this bothered me, but now i've become accustomed to it.

You could say i myself have become ignorant here.(Those people in Films like This is England still make me sick)

As far as your problem goes, that is London, its renowned for being a mixed city (much like new york)

You may find yourself more comfortable in rural england or in a smaller city up north. Or, just make some black friends! (they are the same as white people, trust me!)

I do agree with you about the little sh1ts in hoodies (dangerous b4st4rds), but you have no reason to feel uncomfortable when your the only white on the bus, the other people on the bus don't care that your white! (Im sure theyve seen a few around the city:smile:

London's a great city. (#1 imho)
Enjoy it and see its diversity as an advantage, not a drawback.
Reply 224
Croydon really awful area, just because I am working there I can't move far from there, but looking to move to Sutton or somewhere that side, it's much better, Worst Croydon area is - West Croydon
LawBore
You know those tourists? When you go on holiday, that's you.

Stupid British people.
I'm black and it's so true. Was in NW10 earlier tonight. That place is scary. Driving past seeing kids my age with hoods with shifty eyes, watching. Not cool.
Reply 227
Anonymous
Please keep anonymous.

Living in London is really turning me into a racist. I'm white, and I live in a predominantly black area, and I often feel unsafe. I feel nervous when I travel anywhere as I'm often the only white person, and even my white friends have started saying how they feel uncomfortable on the bus being the only white person.

I also get annoyed when everyone around me is speaking a different language, or with a really strong accent. I feel like I'm being stopped from going into places because being white and English means I don't belong. It angers me when I find someone working somewhere who speaks little English, when so many young people are jobless yet again. I find it extremely unnerving, and feel that these people should make more of an effort to take on the English language and traditions when they move here.

I get fed up with the tourists in London and how expensive everything in London is because of them. I get annoyed when there's always someone who pushes in front of you because they don't understand the concept of queueing. I get anxious when I walk past a group of people in hoodies (regardless of race or gender) because they've brought over an American 'gangsta' attitude, and this is particularly prominent in many parts of south and east London.

What happened to the polite England, where 'sorry' was the most said word? Where are peoples manners? What should we do with people who say 'England is crap, X is so much better!'? Should they have the right to stay here?

This isn't a question of race, so much, but I think people should make more of an effort to adopt the English ways when they move here. I respect that people want to carry on their own culture, but going out of your way to promote it is causing societal segregation.

Am I in the wrong for feeling like this? I feel that if the situation were reversed, and I were abroad and emphasising my English ways I would be heavily frowned upon, and don't understand why it's seen as alright to carry on this way.

that is your biased opinion, just coz someone is black doesnt mean they are after you....its more to do with the financial condition of people (doesnt mean everyone living in a council house is going to murder you).white gangs exist and are as dangerous as black ones.

[COLOR="Green"]People cant help it if they have an accent can they? as for speaking english most do try, learning a new language is no cakewalk, it takes time more so if they are older, if they get hired for jobs its hardly their fault its the system's fault..so why blame them? and supermarkets are private anyways so there you cant blame brown either.Tradition and culture are not static, in the 19th century people went to church every sunday, women sat at men's feet..that doesnt happen now does it?
nobody likes change, but they do happen and you have to change with it.

you sure??

everyone likes to moan.

this is just my point of view btw
stainluss
Im the opposite.

I grew up in Brent in North West London, i was cast in Indian plays and was in African plays at school since i was six.

Only about 30% of my class were white.

Looking back, I loved it. At the time i thought the whole world was undivided and full of this type of multi-culturalism. (too bad its not:frown: )

I didnt hear about racism until i left London for Ireland, where most people at the time had never seen a black man or woman in person.

I think living in a 99.9999% white area really made me lose my knowledge about different cultures, as there was alot of ignorance in rural Ireland about other cultures.
At first this bothered me, but now i've become accustomed to it.

You could say i myself have become ignorant here.(Those people in Films like This is England still make me sick)

As far as your problem goes, that is London, its renowned for being a mixed city (much like new york)

You may find yourself more comfortable in rural england or in a smaller city up north. Or, just make some black friends! (they are the same as white people, trust me!)

I do agree with you about the little sh1ts in hoodies (dangerous b4st4rds), but you have no reason to feel uncomfortable when your the only white on the bus, the other people on the bus don't care that your white! (Im sure theyve seen a few around the city:smile:

London's a great city. (#1 imho)
Enjoy it and see its diversity as an advantage, not a drawback.

This is probably the most patronizing post I have ever read.

You manage to offend northerners, rural people, hoodies, white people on buses and the Irish
evantej

Oh really!?

This is news to me. I go to eton college and in the scholars house, there are a shedload of black kids. And there are a lot at university too, studying good degrees like medicine, engineering and economics. So you're theory is unfounded. It's upbringing thats the reason.
specialk_698
ELTHAM?? clearly you don't know London...

you must be joking. eltham is a pinnacle of multiculturalism

the eltham we all see on the tourist board

now where the immigrants live

eltham is also famous for...
the murder of steven lawrence
having a huge BNP support
the murder of jimmy mizen (the boy killed in gregs bakery)
adsmitty2109

eltham is also famous for...
the murder of steven lawrence
having a huge BNP support
the murder of jimmy mizen (the boy killed in gregs bakery)

:eek: But I thought London was so multicultural and undivided? :o:
I live in Barking and Dagenham... I donno if BNP still rules us but yeah, I know my mom voted against them. Hahahahahaha
Reply 233
I would consider myself completely against racism but it does irritate me when people have jobs in the UK and cannot speak English and do not respect our customs etc.

For example a school in my area which has had a christmas play every year since when my nan was a child can no longer have a christmas play as it does not cover all religious beliefs. Yet when we go to places such as Saudi and Dub. we have to abide by their culture and religious rules and be respectful. I live in a primarily christian area where infants are now not taught the christmas story and this does not seem fair.

I am all for a multi-cultural society but lets not lose our own identities!

Political correctness has gone too far - ba ba black sheep has now been changed to rainbow sheep for fear of being racist ! have you ever seen a multi coloured sheep?! since when was stating there is a black sheep racist! what will be next 3 ---- mice? its a fact that people are black and people are white why hide from it ? embrace it and love the things that make us different!

my piece :smile: when in Rome.. and all that ...
Reply 234
London is nice to visit but I couldn't imagine living there. It might as well not be England, no one has any manners there and it's starting to get more and more dump like.
i think multiculturalism is any idea that london tries to portray outwards but is actually a load of bull.

someone said earlier about multiculturalism giving us pizza and curry and that being a great thing. its definately true in my eyes. however walking down a london high street where you have a kebab house, a pizzeria, a coffee house etc doesnt reflect what london is like in the slightest.

people will eat other cultures food on the high streets but they won't go into eachothers residential areas. In my part of SE london alone bexley is almost exclusively white, thamesmead is black christian and woolwich is black muslim. abbey wood is pakistani and belvedere is indian. in belvedere there is a clear divide down the middle of hindus and sikhs. london is not this utopia of multiculturalism that you see if you live in zones 1-2. this segregation isnt just exclusive to SE london either. East London is the same with Dagenham(white)/Hackney(black)/Stratford(asian) or West London with Feltham/Hounslow/Hayes.

theres many cultures but no integration.

p.s. all this stuff about NL being better than SL its all myth going back to when rich white guys lived in islington and Highbury and the proles lived in Southwark, Brixton etc. the south may have brixton but the north still has tottenham, chingford and lots of other jolly nice leafy places with zero crime
kissx
I would consider myself completely against racism but it does irritate me when people have jobs in the UK and cannot speak English and do not respect our customs etc.

For example a school in my area which has had a christmas play every year since when my nan was a child can no longer have a christmas play as it does not cover all religious beliefs. Yet when we go to places such as Saudi and Dub. we have to abide by their culture and religious rules and be respectful. I live in a primarily christian area where infants are now not taught the christmas story and this does not seem fair.

I am all for a multi-cultural society but lets not lose our own identities!

Political correctness has gone too far - ba ba black sheep has now been changed to rainbow sheep for fear of being racist ! have you ever seen a multi coloured sheep?! since when was stating there is a black sheep racist! what will be next 3 ---- mice? its a fact that people are black and people are white why hide from it ? embrace it and love the things that make us different!

my piece :smile: when in Rome.. and all that ...

i think its because the rhyme is about a black sheep having wool for people. it has its roots in slavery or something
Reply 237
oops excuse my ignorance.. shoulda probs checked that before - surely replacing it with rainbow sheep doesnt change the meaning mind ?
North of England for the win. And by north, I exclude most of Yorkshire and Burnley and Blackburn. And Manchester. Merseyside, North Lancashire and Tyneside for the win...eugh cant believe I said that...this country is the pits.

**** multiculturalism.
Ha this reminds me of when I went to Manchester for a football match. For the first time in my life I felt outnumbered by black people, it was a weird experience. There are hardly any where I live.

Latest

Trending

Trending