Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    You manage to offend northerners, rural people, hoodies, white people on buses and the Irish
    1.I am simply saying smaller towns and rural areas are less diverse than one of the most multicultural cities on earth... AM I WRONG?

2.I was not referring to all hoodies, just the dangerous ones (there are a lot of kids with knives in London)How can you tell which ones have a knife you until your on the floor bleeding?:confused:

3.I have no idea how i offend white people on buses. I was referring to the OP talking about feeling weird on the bus for being white. I used the bus quite a bit. I never had a car. And guess what... IM WHITE:eek: and i didnt take offence to my comment..

4.I LIVE IN IRELAND. I AM HALF IRISH. Ask anyone over here how multi cultural it is outside of Dublin. Better yet look at the statistics. Im stating a fact. Live here and then tell me I'm wrong. Im being honest not condescending. Im simply stating what i have experienced in my life.

In your last post you offend British people. I took it as a joke until i saw how touchy you were about my post. I guess you were being serious.

I grew up in in a council block to a single mother (and better for it ) I am not a condescending person. If i seem that way im sorry: I was just saying what i have experienced first hand in life and genuinely trying to help the OP.

ReputationRep:
    i think you're right. you should respect the culture of whatever country you are in. however, you should always remember that people from other countries and cultures aren't all the same. so maybe one guy from america is a gangster. we're not all gangsters. so don't worry about the jerks that push past you and don't speak english.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    Most of these slums are not white, and the ones that are,or used to be, are being infiltrated. Most all white areas in the UK are middle class ones.

er, bit much to call East London a 'slum'.
    okay it's not always the safest or prettiest of places but its not that bad. this isn't victorian london!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anonymous.

Living in London is really turning me into a racist. I'm white, and I live in a predominantly black area, and I often feel unsafe. I feel nervous when I travel anywhere as I'm often the only white person, and even my white friends have started saying how they feel uncomfortable on the bus being the only white person.

I also get annoyed when everyone around me is speaking a different language, or with a really strong accent. I feel like I'm being stopped from going into places because being white and English means I don't belong. It angers me when I find someone working somewhere who speaks little English, when so many young people are jobless yet again. I find it extremely unnerving, and feel that these people should make more of an effort to take on the English language and traditions when they move here.

I get fed up with the tourists in London and how expensive everything in London is because of them. I get annoyed when there's always someone who pushes in front of you because they don't understand the concept of queueing. I get anxious when I walk past a group of people in hoodies (regardless of race or gender) because they've brought over an American 'gangsta' attitude, and this is particularly prominent in many parts of south and east London.

What happened to the polite England, where 'sorry' was the most said word? Where are peoples manners? What should we do with people who say 'England is crap, X is so much better!'? Should they have the right to stay here?

This isn't a question of race, so much, but I think people should make more of an effort to adopt the English ways when they move here. I respect that people want to carry on their own culture, but going out of your way to promote it is causing societal segregation.

Am I in the wrong for feeling like this? I feel that if the situation were reversed, and I were abroad and emphasising my English ways I would be heavily frowned upon, and don't understand why it's seen as alright to carry on this way.

image if you was chinese. you would be a minority everywhere except china. thats my life!
    where did you live before you came here?
    i have lived in Hackney (East London) all my life and have lived in Norfolk and Sheffield previously. I would agree London is not as friendly as Sheffield, which is predominately a student town.

Its not even that rough in London, try going to Brazil or Naples!

ReputationRep:
    Is there something wrong with me?! Am I just deluded?!

These threads on TSR never cease to amaze me. The OP lives in Croydon?! Where in Croydon is like that, do tell? I have lived here all my life and I honestly have no freakin' clue what they are talking about. Even West Croydon is more a mix of various Asian and black cultures than just one making you feel like an alien.

I have never bee... wait, I was about to say 'I have never been the only white person on a bus', but actually I came to an interesting realisation while typing it. I have been the only one, numerous times! I just didn't even realise until right now, I disagreed with the OP which made me feel like I hadn't experienced it - when actually, I just haven't ever felt threatened/intimidated/annoyed/anything negative because of it. Living in Croydon and going to a local school has had the opposite effect on me... I don't even notice race, I just see people.
    I was thinking this 'all ethnic staff in shops' thing sounded wrong too... but then I realised that I have been in shops with all ethnic staff, it just didn't have any effect on me - it's like going into a shop run by an old lady. So? Do you leave thinking 'gosh, all these old people everywhere'? No, I don't even notice or think about it - no more than I would if they were all men or all overweight! This is all really hard to explain, but basically this thread is completely bizarre to me. I don't understand or share any of the sentiments expressed. I think I am freakishly un-racist..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    Oh really!?

This is news to me. I go to eton college and in the scholars house, there are a shedload of black kids. And there are a lot at university too, studying good degrees like medicine, engineering and economics. So you're theory is unfounded. It's upbringing thats the reason.
    I fail to see the relation between privately educated middle-class black males, and your brothers on a council estate in east London. It would appear you completely misunderstood my point; advocating some ignorant form of class conciousness as a result. I did not suggest that black males were not academically capable but that there is something culturally engrained, which means they are on average the worst performers: the only ethnic group which fails to perform.

Irrespective of your start in life everyone who has the potential can go to university now but for some reason the majority of black males do not have the ability or aspiration to reach this level. That is a cultural issue. It has nothing to do with their upbringing or environment, which are minor factors.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with OP. I think it's quite sad. For example I went to a music festival and we were banned from having the national flag because it might generate "racial tension". You know there's a massive problem when you can't even fly your own flag in your own country!

ReputationRep:
    Living in London is not making you racist, your minds own infallibility to tolerance [even though it may have to be high] is what is making you racist.

That said, not being able to wave the national flag because of potential 'racial tension' is terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    I can genuinely say that although I'm not "white", I sympathise with what you've written and I don't think it is making you a racist at all

I used to live in a predominately white area, but live in NW London now and I avoid being out at night times. Why? It's just not safe. At all. London can be great and diverse, but anywhere outside zone 1-2 is a ******* mess after 9 pm. It's an issue and well done for speaking your mind and bringing it up.
    Are you the one who lives in Grahame Park?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shriya)
    that is your biased opinion, just coz someone is black doesnt mean they are after you....its more to do with the financial condition of people (doesnt mean everyone living in a council house is going to murder you).white gangs exist and are as dangerous as black ones.

[COLOR="Green"]People cant help it if they have an accent can they? as for speaking english most do try, learning a new language is no cakewalk, it takes time more so if they are older, if they get hired for jobs its hardly their fault its the system's fault..so why blame them? and supermarkets are private anyways so there you cant blame brown either.Tradition and culture are not static, in the 19th century people went to church every sunday, women sat at men's feet..that doesnt happen now does it?[/COLOR]
    nobody likes change, but they do happen and you have to change with it.

you sure??

everyone likes to moan.

this is just my point of view btw
    I'm pretty sure gang culture is more prevalent with black people? Therefore the OP would have some slight justification for the red writing. I could be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    Not all of south London is bad. Clapham, Kennington and Eltham are decent areas. And Croydon is in Surrey! That's millionaire land. Though Croydon has its fair share of crime.

EDIT: To consider Cultivated's post, some of the above mentioned areas are in zones one and two.
    croydon's not in surrey fool. its in greater london it justv has a surrey postcode. thats why its called the london borough of croydon

ReputationRep:
    its pretty ironic how english people complain about foreigners not speaking english when we are probably one of the most notorious nationalities for not bothering to learn other languages when we go on holiday to other places.

ReputationRep:
    Our country is a failed social multi-cultural experiment thanks to our wonderful labour government, who for some crazy reason unknown to myself or anyone really, decided to let every immigrant that wants to, into our used to be wonderful country.
    And not only have they ruined our country and over populated it...they have introduced "politcal correctness' - simply way of making sure us Brits don't complain, don't moan, or refuse to fund their little experiment. The second someone comments there are more Polish people in an area than English they get labelled racist and polish people get more benifits.
    IS IT REALLY UNREASONABLE TO EXPECT PEOPLE TO SPEAK ENGLISH, TO PRACTICE ENGLISH CUSTOMS AND TO BE BLOODY ENGLISH IN ENGLAND?!
    Of course it's not!
    I HATE walking down the street and getting dirty looks when Polish people or Muslims barge into to me in the street or dislike what I'm wearing.
    YOU ARE IN MY COUNTRY, They have to respect British culture, they have to respect British customs, and respect my language. We didn't ask you to come here, so if you don't like it GO HOME.
    and as for the gun/knife crime, its predominantly part of black culture- in the 1960/70's immigrants (aren't they wonderful?!) from jamaica brought over the gang and gun culture along with their drug barons hence why alot of this type of crime is in black culture. that's a fact, i'm not racist just informing you of some history.

i'm quite simply going to end this rant by saying in 10/20 years the british white people will become an ethnic minority. and that will be a sad day. But for all you guys loving the 'diversity' keep dreaming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Are you the one who lives in Grahame Park?
    Ahah, Don't take the piss. Even I stay out of Grahame Park

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    its pretty ironic how english people complain about foreigners not speaking english when we are probably one of the most notorious nationalities for not bothering to learn other languages when we go on holiday to other places.
    yes but when we go on holiday we're not planning to stay there for years...or get a job...or try to intergrate into the country......

ReputationRep:
    I don't expect people having a holiday here to learn English.

I do expect people who immigrate to here to learn English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roses_and_Ribbons)
    yes but when we go on holiday we're not planning to stay there for years...or get a job...or try to intergrate into the country......
    ok what about all the British people who move to Spain. Do you really feel they are all fluent Spanish speakers. And all this stuff about walkin down Croydon and most people not speaking English is ********. I pass through Croydon everyday on my way home from school and i can guesss that 90% of people are fluent english speakers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    I don't expect people having a holiday here to learn English.

I do expect people who immigrate to here to learn English.
    yes but it takes time to become fluent in another language. The ones who do not speak a lick of english are in reality few and far between and is just wishful thinking by a bunch of xenophobic fools

ReputationRep:
    ok what about all the British people who move to Spain. Do you really feel they are all fluent Spanish speakers. And all this stuff about walkin down Croydon and most people not speaking English is ********. I pass through Croydon everyday on my way home from school and i can guesss that 90% of people are fluent english speakers
    That's irrelevant. Of course they should learn Spanish, but that isn't the issue the thread is about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Ayesha*)
    Are you sayin that because we are in Enlgnad we should expect to see more white people than black?
    I don't know if that's what he was saying as I haven't read his post, but statistically, yes, I'd expect to see more white people.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.