Turn on thread page Beta

Help! Living in London is making me a racist! watch

ReputationRep:
    grow a backbone mate ...(anonymous)

and if ppl who cant speak english are working its because there hardworking ...:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Ayesha*)
    You are just as likely to get robbed by a white boy in a pink lyle and scott jumper as you are a black boy in a ecko hoody. Grow up and open your eyes.
    Factually untrue. Black people have a crime rate (especially violent crime) which is disproportionate to their percentage size of the population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anonymous.

Living in London is really turning me into a racist. I'm white, and I live in a predominantly black area, and I often feel unsafe. I feel nervous when I travel anywhere as I'm often the only white person, and even my white friends have started saying how they feel uncomfortable on the bus being the only white person.

I also get annoyed when everyone around me is speaking a different language, or with a really strong accent. I feel like I'm being stopped from going into places because being white and English means I don't belong. It angers me when I find someone working somewhere who speaks little English, when so many young people are jobless yet again. I find it extremely unnerving, and feel that these people should make more of an effort to take on the English language and traditions when they move here.

I get fed up with the tourists in London and how expensive everything in London is because of them. I get annoyed when there's always someone who pushes in front of you because they don't understand the concept of queueing. I get anxious when I walk past a group of people in hoodies (regardless of race or gender) because they've brought over an American 'gangsta' attitude, and this is particularly prominent in many parts of south and east London.

What happened to the polite England, where 'sorry' was the most said word? Where are peoples manners? What should we do with people who say 'England is crap, X is so much better!'? Should they have the right to stay here?

This isn't a question of race, so much, but I think people should make more of an effort to adopt the English ways when they move here. I respect that people want to carry on their own culture, but going out of your way to promote it is causing societal segregation.

Am I in the wrong for feeling like this? I feel that if the situation were reversed, and I were abroad and emphasising my English ways I would be heavily frowned upon, and don't understand why it's seen as alright to carry on this way.
    Agreed although I am not a white person living in a black area. I agree. Londoner tend to be rude as well and look down on anything and everything.

ReputationRep:
    Do not venture east, stay in either the inner city boroughs like Westminster, Kensington, Chelsea. Or, very far out into places like Bromley. Avoid Croydon and the East End like your life depends on it! Do not go east or too south. You just need to find a nice area that's all, do not dismiss the whole of the city because one area is full of it.
    mate where did you get Kensington & Chelsea from? over 100 languages are spoke in this borough, if your going by his statement then stick to the middle/south of the borough and ur be fine...

don't go to the north the borough (one of the 10% most deprived parts of the uk) or worlds end a state in chelsea... Otherwise all ur see is kids in hoodies and a huge populaion of ethnic minority (includes white people, ethnic doesnt mean black) living on social housing with one kid with number two (that figure is avaliable on the council website, its not a made up satement) on the way because it provides more in benefits than one but you get less with three...:woo:

Anyway mate, you have to understand that what gives London its appeal is it diverse multiculture and without these said tourists London would be a pretty poor place as we make millions from tourists not even buying an oyster card...

The problem isnt a mix of culture as that has many benefits but the way cultures are mixed together which unfortuently is controlled by where avaliable housing is which usually means you get dense pockets of the same culture mixed together developing its own community here segregating itself from our culture. Like Southall, Hounslow, Kilburn and so on, the original diea was to mix cultures together so you learn from each other but obviously it hasnt worked out that way

Personally i love and hate London all at the same time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Ayesha*)
    Well Statistically, you will see more black people, more asian people..different cultures depending on where you go. and this is the 21st century for gods sake, black people are rarely classed as immigrants because back in the 60's when my grandparents came over from Jamaica, they had children, who then had children who are now having children. so therefore they are british citizens. if you believe you will walk in london in 2009 and see prodimently white people then you will need to check your "statistics".

tbh this whole post makes me sick. and for future ref just because u hear someone speaking a different language on the streets doesnt mean they dont know how to speak english. Your ignorance amazes me. You are just as likely to get robbed by a white boy in a pink lyle and scott jumper as you are a black boy in a ecko hoody. Grow up and open your eyes.
    Your post specified "England" and not "London". Overall, in England, there are more white people than black people.

About the bit in bold, I was under the impression that black people had a higher crime rate (or at least a higher crime rate accounting for their population).

ReputationRep:
    :love: london.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Your post specified "England" and not "London". Overall, in England, there are more white people than black people.

About the bit in bold, I was under the impression that black people had a higher crime rate (or at least a higher crime rate accounting for their population).
    In terms of England, there is a clear white majority ..even in London, there is a white majority?..

With black crime..its just reported more...a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    In terms of England, there is a clear white majority ..even in London, there is a white majority?..

what are you trying to say here in regards to black crime being reported more and more often? Hmmm?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because there is more of it in certain areas? Black crime rates are disproportionate to their percentage size of the population.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well tbh you aren't really racist. Well that is if you don't have anything to hide but seriously I guess in places like Peckham and Brixton there are more black people there than in a Harlem prison but seriously we all feel like that from time to time. I mean I'm black and could you imagine someone like me moving to somewhere like Cornwall or Tunbridge Wells?! Good lord I would look more out of place then non-praying mantis! :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Do not venture east, stay in either the inner city boroughs like Westminster, Kensington, Chelsea. Or, very far out into places like Bromley. Avoid Croydon and the East End like your life depends on it! Do not go east or too south. You just need to find a nice area that's all, do not dismiss the whole of the city because one area is full of it.
    I second that. I live in the East End and I'm one of very few white people, it's mainly asian where I live and they are very racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    what are you trying to say here in regards to black crime being reported more and more often? Hmmm?
    Huh' i'm not trying to say anything?..just making a point. Why?

ReputationRep:
    Huh' i'm not trying to say anything?..just making a point. Why?
    What kind of point were you trying to make here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Yeah well tbh you aren't really racist. Well that is if you don't have anything to hide but seriously I guess in places like Peckham and Brixton there are more black people there than in a Harlem prison but seriously we all feel like that from time to time. I mean I'm black and could you imagine someone like me moving to somewhere like Cornwall or Tunbridge Wells?! Good lord I would look more out of place then non-praying mantis! :facepalm:
    You'd be surprised how those white people act. When my rents first moved to the suburbs. We were like one of the only black families in town. At private school, I was one of 3 black kids out of 200 (thats primary school btw). Was interesting, cause most didn't treat us any different.

ReputationRep:
    Well do you have any evidence?

I also don't really know what you mean. You think there are people who think it's perfectly OK for immigrants to live in ghettos and not speak English? I certainly don't think that's acceptable, but I am also aware that not all immigrants are like that.

I never said anything of the sort, i was merely comparing those Britons who move to a foreign country and flat out refuse to learn the language to the immigrants who come here refusing to learn the language, they have the same mentality and are both as bad as each other to be honest. Thankfully they are in the minority, but still manage to create huge stereotypes, for the majority who genuinely want to contribute.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of point were you trying to make here?
    That black crime seems to be reported more, it was a response to someone saying that black crime is higher than other ethnic groups in relation to their population.

ReputationRep:
    That black crime seems to be reported more, it was a response to someone saying that black crime is higher than other ethnic groups in relation to their population.
    oh ok, what was you were intentions behind it? You being racist about this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roses_and_Ribbons)
    Our country is a failed social multi-cultural experiment thanks to our wonderful labour government, who for some crazy reason unknown to myself or anyone really, decided to let every immigrant that wants to, into our used to be wonderful country.
    And not only have they ruined our country and over populated it...they have introduced "politcal correctness' - simply way of making sure us Brits don't complain, don't moan, or refuse to fund their little experiment. The second someone comments there are more Polish people in an area than English they get labelled racist and polish people get more benifits.
    IS IT REALLY UNREASONABLE TO EXPECT PEOPLE TO SPEAK ENGLISH, TO PRACTICE ENGLISH CUSTOMS AND TO BE BLOODY ENGLISH IN ENGLAND?!
    Of course it's not!
    I HATE walking down the street and getting dirty looks when Polish people or Muslims barge into to me in the street or dislike what I'm wearing.
    YOU ARE IN MY COUNTRY, They have to respect British culture, they have to respect British customs, and respect my language. We didn't ask you to come here, so if you don't like it GO HOME.and as for the gun/knife crime, its predominantly part of black culture- in the 1960/70's immigrants (aren't they wonderful?!) from jamaica brought over the gang and gun culture along with their drug barons hence why alot of this type of crime is in black culture. that's a fact, i'm not racist just informing you of some history.

i'm quite simply going to end this rant by saying in 10/20 years the british white people will become an ethnic minority. and that will be a sad day. But for all you guys loving the 'diversity' keep dreaming.
    ahem even muslims can be british, what about the second generation people???THIS IS THEIR HOME. you claim they give you dirty looks for what you wear, brits are not much better you too give people dirty looks for wearing hijabs.and btw the only reason the immigrants were given visas was because of the scarcity of trained people in the UK, it is a different argument, that they have more kids but you cant really put a birth cap on them now can you?

yeah i am sure some of them are...

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure gang culture is more prevalent with black people? Therefore the OP would have some slight justification for the red writing. I could be wrong though.
    i never said it wasnt, the point i was trying to make is that not every black man is in a gang, and just coz someone is white they are harmless.

ReputationRep:
    oh ok, what was you were intentions behind it? You being racist about this...
    Mhm?..I dont see how thats being racist?...but my intention was to answer the point the person was saying about black crime being higher than other ethnic groups in relation to their size?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.