Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Mhm?..I dont see how thats being racist?...but my intention was to answer the point the person was saying about black crime being higher than other ethnic groups in relation to their size?
    I am not bothering with this, i am going to call you racist from now on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    You're going to call me racist, but not tell me why?
    Okay, whatever suits you..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shriya)
    ahem even muslims can be british, what about the second generation people???THIS IS THEIR HOME. you claim they give you dirty looks for what you wear, brits are not much better you too give people dirty looks for wearing hijabs.and btw the only reason the immigrants were given visas was because of the scarcity of trained people in the UK, it is a different argument, that they have more kids but you cant really put a birth cap on them now can you?

yeah i am sure some of them are...
    Sorry, but this REALLY annoyed me.

You say all of that, and you have an Indian flag. You're supposedly 'British'. How does that work? Why should you choose whether you're British or not, and yet claim that you are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    Sorry, but this REALLY annoyed me.

You say all of that, and you have an Indian flag. You're supposedly 'British'. How does that work? Why should you choose whether you're British or not, and yet claim that you are?
    i am sorry i am not british, i came here only 2 years back and still retain my indian passport, as i plan to go back.If i ever took british passport i would change my flag.

I was talking in general.....not about myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shriya)
    i am sorry i am not british, i came here only 2 years back and still retain my indian passport, as i plan to go back.If i ever took british passport i would change my flag.

I was talking in general.....not about myself.
    do you pay your tax?

ReputationRep:
    do you pay your tax?
    my dad does, why??

ReputationRep:
    god threas like this are annoying. sorry OP but they are. every single forum seems to have at least one person afraid of other races. im not saying your wrong to post that would be idiotic...

race religion birthplace and all other factors such as those make a person who they are. how can you expect someone to change who they are just so other people feel comfortable around them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniella1990)
    race religion birthplace and all other factors such as those make a person who they are. how can you expect someone to change who they are just so other people feel comfortable around them?
    Comfort within society is quite an important element. Are you suggesting all members of a multicultural society should give up hope of feeling secure and comfortable again?

More proof the multicultural experiment defies common sense and social normality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniella1990)
    god threas like this are annoying. sorry OP but they are. every single forum seems to have at least one person afraid of other races. im not saying your wrong to post that would be idiotic...

What are you trying to say? People don't NEED to change race, religion, or birthplace to make others feel comfortable.

ReputationRep:

I'm sorry, but you really are being a bit thick here...the post never said every single black person to ever live in Britian is in a gang and causes crime ect. The argument was that it is MORE PREVALANT, which means, out every group in the uk, black people are involved in the most cases of this gang warfare culture. and look at crime figures...you'll see its not racist its the FACT.

people really need to learn what racism actually means....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    I fail to see the relation between privately educated middle-class black males, and your brothers on a council estate in east London. It would appear you completely misunderstood my point; advocating some ignorant form of class conciousness as a result. I did not suggest that black males were not academically capable but that there is something culturally engrained, which means they are on average the worst performers: the only ethnic group which fails to perform.

Irrespective of your start in life everyone who has the potential can go to university now but for some reason the majority of black males do not have the ability or aspiration to reach this level. That is a cultural issue. It has nothing to do with their upbringing or environment, which are minor factors.
    What is culture?

Also, how is it that when someone points to themselves as evidence that Black people aren't 'engrained' with an attitude that makes them do badly, they don't count. If it's a Black thing with upbringing and environment as minor factors, you shouldn't have dismissed nocontrol's post, as even privately educated Black boys should be struggling.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with you, reluctantly. i was in whitechapel the other day when there was a market on, and i actually felt like i was on holiday somewhere. the women were sneering at me and giving me dirty looks (i was wearing jeans and a tshirt!) and the men were just staring like they'd never seen a white person before! i'm not a racist person at all - but i felt very uncomfortable and found it so strange!

ReputationRep:
    I view land as a piece of earth on which no one has the right to own or culturize.
    Although i benefit from the land myself.

ReputationRep:
    But the British do too! They go abroad and make oiks of themselves, they seem to forget theat they are not only representing themselves but a whole nation! They drink excessiviley, act outside of the general ambience of the place and in all are loud, truant and rude.

It's just the case of being hypocritical, for every person who fits your mould there will be one who breaks it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Windsprite)
    for every person who fits your mould there will be one who breaks it.
    Such a throw away liberal remark is not supported by statistics, I am sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anonymous.

Living in London is really turning me into a racist. I'm white, and I live in a predominantly black area, and I often feel unsafe. I feel nervous when I travel anywhere as I'm often the only white person, and even my white friends have started saying how they feel uncomfortable on the bus being the only white person.

I also get annoyed when everyone around me is speaking a different language, or with a really strong accent. I feel like I'm being stopped from going into places because being white and English means I don't belong. It angers me when I find someone working somewhere who speaks little English, when so many young people are jobless yet again. I find it extremely unnerving, and feel that these people should make more of an effort to take on the English language and traditions when they move here.

I get fed up with the tourists in London and how expensive everything in London is because of them. I get annoyed when there's always someone who pushes in front of you because they don't understand the concept of queueing. I get anxious when I walk past a group of people in hoodies (regardless of race or gender) because they've brought over an American 'gangsta' attitude, and this is particularly prominent in many parts of south and east London.

What happened to the polite England, where 'sorry' was the most said word? Where are peoples manners? What should we do with people who say 'England is crap, X is so much better!'? Should they have the right to stay here?

This isn't a question of race, so much, but I think people should make more of an effort to adopt the English ways when they move here. I respect that people want to carry on their own culture, but going out of your way to promote it is causing societal segregation.

Am I in the wrong for feeling like this? I feel that if the situation were reversed, and I were abroad and emphasising my English ways I would be heavily frowned upon, and don't understand why it's seen as alright to carry on this way.

Surely it is not London not making you racist but yourself? You are the connecting factor as there are plenty of people who live in london who are not.

Stop worrying about being the only white person in a group of black people. You have apparently survived this ordeal so far.

You get fed up of tourists? People who pay good money to come to our capital city because they want to see one of the best cities in the world? And that pisses you off? That makes me proud to be honest. Also with the amount of money tourism brings, it all contributes to our economy.

You find it annoying when people who speak little english and young english people aren't? Why is it annoying that someone is working and not the person who isn't? Even though we are in a recesssion there are so many opportunites for people in this country, and this should not be frowned upon.

Polite england is probably is a misconception, there were pricks 100 years ago, pricks 50 years ago, and pricks now. I'm afraid you have the rose tinted glasses on. Truth is there are always pricks.

You say you respect people who want to carry on their old culture but that they shouldn't go on about it? How dare they "go on" about their lives, they should keep quiet and just keep the british people speaking about pints, football, and tits.

I have been travelling abroad and always keep my britishness. I am proud to be british, and while I try and say my pleases and thankyous in the countrys language, and try not to eat with my left hand for example, there is no question that I am british and i don't see why that would offend anyone.

Theres been research into racism and self esteem issues. Most racist people I know have very little self esteem and so become threatened by other cultures impacting on ours. Culture is an ever changing thing, and should be embraced, of course we should embrace our history and culture, but that doesn't mean to fear another. In essence, why the hell does it matter?

Also you point out people who say "england is crap, so-so better" and question whether they have the right to stay here. Well, of course they have the right, but should they really? If you don't like somewhere then **** off. And that applies to possibly racist people in london too. Theres a big world, and when you go elsewhere, you may appeciate how bloody fantastic england is, with its own and with all the other cultures that are within it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Windsprite)
    But the British do too! They go abroad and make oiks of themselves, they seem to forget theat they are not only representing themselves but a whole nation! They drink excessiviley, act outside of the general ambience of the place and in all are loud, truant and rude.

It's just the case of being hypocritical, for every person who fits your mould there will be one who breaks it.
    I wish people would stop referring to British doing this. It is wrong when they do it as well, but that is not the issue of the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roses_and_Ribbons)
    I'm sorry, but you really are being a bit thick here...the post never said every single black person to ever live in Britian is in a gang and causes crime ect. The argument was that it is MORE PREVALANT, which means, out every group in the uk, black people are involved in the most cases of this gang warfare culture. and look at crime figures...you'll see its not racist its the FACT.

people really need to learn what racism actually means....
    Stop being racist...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anonymous.

Living in London is really turning me into a racist. I'm white, and I live in a predominantly black area, and I often feel unsafe. I feel nervous when I travel anywhere as I'm often the only white person, and even my white friends have started saying how they feel uncomfortable on the bus being the only white person.

I also get annoyed when everyone around me is speaking a different language, or with a really strong accent. I feel like I'm being stopped from going into places because being white and English means I don't belong. It angers me when I find someone working somewhere who speaks little English, when so many young people are jobless yet again. I find it extremely unnerving, and feel that these people should make more of an effort to take on the English language and traditions when they move here.

I get fed up with the tourists in London and how expensive everything in London is because of them. I get annoyed when there's always someone who pushes in front of you because they don't understand the concept of queueing. I get anxious when I walk past a group of people in hoodies (regardless of race or gender) because they've brought over an American 'gangsta' attitude, and this is particularly prominent in many parts of south and east London.

What happened to the polite England, where 'sorry' was the most said word? Where are peoples manners? What should we do with people who say 'England is crap, X is so much better!'? Should they have the right to stay here?

This isn't a question of race, so much, but I think people should make more of an effort to adopt the English ways when they move here. I respect that people want to carry on their own culture, but going out of your way to promote it is causing societal segregation.

Am I in the wrong for feeling like this? I feel that if the situation were reversed, and I were abroad and emphasising my English ways I would be heavily frowned upon, and don't understand why it's seen as alright to carry on this way.
    i agree that sometimes the communication barrier can sometimes be a problem, and that people should make an effort to 'adopt the english ways when they move here', but to be honest a place doesn't make you racist, it's your beliefs that do. and the tourist thing is ridiculous, it's the capital, of course there's gonna be tourists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    I can genuinely say that although I'm not "white", I sympathise with what you've written and I don't think it is making you a racist at all

I used to live in a predominately white area, but live in NW London now and I avoid being out at night times. Why? It's just not safe. At all. London can be great and diverse, but anywhere outside zone 1-2 is a ******* mess after 9 pm. It's an issue and well done for speaking your mind and bringing it up.
    Where in NW london do you live? It is relatively safe :confused:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.