Turn on thread page Beta

Help! Living in London is making me a racist! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yourfaceisfunny)
    there used to one in polish in ealing broadway, like the massive one saying: 'tedy do domu'. i am polish myself, but hey, we live in england, dont we?
    Ealing is possibly the best example of multiculturalism, since the different people actually live amongst each other as opposed to sticking to their own...

ReputationRep:
    East London is like Asia now. I'm not racist tbh, I fancy a lot of Asian women. but it's when they are not integrated and speaking different languages and the population is transient. That's when it feels kind of funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roses_and_Ribbons)
    tell that to Damilola Taylor's parents, who's son got stabbed...he was only 10 years old. or Shaquille Smith's parents, who's son was subjected to a brutal stabbing and died aged 14. or even Kodjo Yenga who was 16 when he was chased through london by a gangs with dogs, knives and baseball bats before being stabbed to death.

NONE of them were in a gang.....and are the general public. so i dont honestly think you have a leg to stand on.
    As I said, 'generally'. It is completely tragic and nothing can justify it, but not common. The majority of attacks (stabbings, shootings and beatings, which don't nessecarily result in murder) are not unprovoked or on non-gang members.
    How many people come across each other in London every single day? Hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands? How many end up violently attacked for no reason?
    It doesn't detract from the devestation each individual case causes, but it also does not mean you should fear black youths in hoodies. It is like fearing every man in a long coat is a peadophile. You could easily say 'tell that to the parents of X, Y and Z'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    What is culture?

Also, how is it that when someone points to themselves as evidence that Black people aren't 'engrained' with an attitude that makes them do badly, they don't count. If it's a Black thing with upbringing and environment as minor factors, you shouldn't have dismissed nocontrol's post, as even privately educated Black boys should be struggling.
    Again, there is a failure to read properly. I said that on average young black males are the worst academic performers; they are also on average the only ethnic minority to struggle.

sandro's assertion is the most sensible - that the problem is economic and social, and effects the entire population in the same way. But I suggested that there has to be some other reason why black males are the only ethnic group to struggle; why they are consistently at the bottom. The reason I discounted nocontrol's background is because almost everyone will excel in private education, and because I did not suggest that black males were incapable of excelling in education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    In defence of Croydon, it's not all bad. South Croydon is a lovely area, sanderstead + selsdon are quite nice as well.

Just starts going downhill once you go into central Croydon (which is infected with Chavs) and on into West Croydon. As a white guy i wouldn't go into West Croydon without a bit of backup, either i'll probably get 'shanked'.

Exactly, i live in south croydon and there is absolutley nothing wrong with the place. Places like south croy, selsdon, coulsdon, purley and most of east croydon are lovely. The majority of schools near me are private.

People that dont live in croydon like to assume croydon is rubbish but its people from surrounding areas e.g. thornten heath, west croydon and new addington that are rubbish IMO

and people have to realise that alot of people that dont live in croydon come down to it because of the shopping centre. Although nothing bad has never happened when i was in the centre. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss-sasha)
    Exactly, i live in south croydon and there is absolutley nothing wrong with the place. Places like south croy, selsdon, coulsdon, purley and most of east croydon are lovely. The majority of schools near me are private.

People that dont live in croydon like to assume croydon is rubbish but its people from surrounding areas e.g. thornten heath, west croydon and new addington that are rubbish IMO

and people have to realise that alot of people that dont live in croydon come down to it because of the shopping centre. Although nothing bad has never happened when i was in the centre. :yes:

OMG, how racist are you?

By the way is Croydon a mini Birmingham...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    OMG, how racist are you?

By the way is Croydon a mini Birmingham...
    I don't understand why you keep calling people racist? They didn't say anything about race. :confused:

I have never been to Birmingham (although I went to Bournville on Saturday ), but I can't imagine Croydon is much like it really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limon Fanta)
    I hate London, I live in NW where it's pretty much an Asian ghetto and I'd never set foot anywhere NEAR the local schools (I take a 20 minute bus to sixth form in Hertfordshire) and the buses and trains often leave me feeling intimidated.

And the crazy thing is... Im half Indian and half English! I can honestly say I can't leave here fast enough, and can't wait to go uni away from home.
    Whoa-20mins to hertfordshire!

I think people love the buzz when they visit but by all accounts it's a pain in the arse to live there. Can't imagine growing up there tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    Whoa-20mins to hertfordshire!

I think people love the buzz when they visit but by all accounts it's a pain in the arse to live there. Can't imagine growing up there tbh.
    Hertfordshire or London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbits)
    I don't understand why you keep calling people racist? They didn't say anything about race. :confused:

I have never been to Birmingham (although I went to Bournville on Saturday ), but I can't imagine Croydon is much like it really.

racist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anonymous.

Living in London is really turning me into a racist. I'm white, and I live in a predominantly black area, and I often feel unsafe. I feel nervous when I travel anywhere as I'm often the only white person, and even my white friends have started saying how they feel uncomfortable on the bus being the only white person.

I also get annoyed when everyone around me is speaking a different language, or with a really strong accent. I feel like I'm being stopped from going into places because being white and English means I don't belong. It angers me when I find someone working somewhere who speaks little English, when so many young people are jobless yet again. I find it extremely unnerving, and feel that these people should make more of an effort to take on the English language and traditions when they move here.

I get fed up with the tourists in London and how expensive everything in London is because of them. I get annoyed when there's always someone who pushes in front of you because they don't understand the concept of queueing. I get anxious when I walk past a group of people in hoodies (regardless of race or gender) because they've brought over an American 'gangsta' attitude, and this is particularly prominent in many parts of south and east London.

What happened to the polite England, where 'sorry' was the most said word? Where are peoples manners? What should we do with people who say 'England is crap, X is so much better!'? Should they have the right to stay here?

This isn't a question of race, so much, but I think people should make more of an effort to adopt the English ways when they move here. I respect that people want to carry on their own culture, but going out of your way to promote it is causing societal segregation.

Am I in the wrong for feeling like this? I feel that if the situation were reversed, and I were abroad and emphasising my English ways I would be heavily frowned upon, and don't understand why it's seen as alright to carry on this way.
    Well, correct me If Im wrong but u seem to be sayin "London is Crap" so do u have a right to stay there?

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you get some big stones and a big rope,tie them around your neck and jump into the Thames,especially if your Nick Griffin fails to become the PM after the next general election.Your obvious shame in keeping yourself anon while sending the OP fails to make up for the fact that you belong to the stone age,or at least the 17th century.You reckon immigrants are to be blamed for your obvious anxiety dissorder!

Black people and other non-whites are responsible for your inability to get a job,the earlier you get it into your empty swollen skull,the better it'll be for you that you are gonna die in the slums if you fail to improve yourself and get a decent education.I wonder if your ancestors got any visa or permit before coming to plunder West Africa and indeed the whole of Africa especially starting from the 18th century.My reply to you has no end,u bloody rascist p*g.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMinds)
    Surely it is not London not making you racist but yourself? You are the connecting factor as there are plenty of people who live in london who are not.

Stop worrying about being the only white person in a group of black people. You have apparently survived this ordeal so far.

You get fed up of tourists? People who pay good money to come to our capital city because they want to see one of the best cities in the world? And that pisses you off? That makes me proud to be honest. Also with the amount of money tourism brings, it all contributes to our economy.

You find it annoying when people who speak little english and young english people aren't? Why is it annoying that someone is working and not the person who isn't? Even though we are in a recesssion there are so many opportunites for people in this country, and this should not be frowned upon.

Polite england is probably is a misconception, there were pricks 100 years ago, pricks 50 years ago, and pricks now. I'm afraid you have the rose tinted glasses on. Truth is there are always pricks.

You say you respect people who want to carry on their old culture but that they shouldn't go on about it? How dare they "go on" about their lives, they should keep quiet and just keep the british people speaking about pints, football, and tits.

I have been travelling abroad and always keep my britishness. I am proud to be british, and while I try and say my pleases and thankyous in the countrys language, and try not to eat with my left hand for example, there is no question that I am british and i don't see why that would offend anyone.

Theres been research into racism and self esteem issues. Most racist people I know have very little self esteem and so become threatened by other cultures impacting on ours. Culture is an ever changing thing, and should be embraced, of course we should embrace our history and culture, but that doesn't mean to fear another. In essence, why the hell does it matter?

Also you point out people who say "england is crap, so-so better" and question whether they have the right to stay here. Well, of course they have the right, but should they really? If you don't like somewhere then **** off. And that applies to possibly racist people in london too. Theres a big world, and when you go elsewhere, you may appeciate how bloody fantastic england is, with its own and with all the other cultures that are within it.
    If anyone questions me about eating with my left hand, i'll tell them to f off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    sandro's assertion is the most sensible - that the problem is economic and social, and effects the entire population in the same way. But I suggested that there has to be some other reason why black males are the only ethnic group to struggle; why they are consistently at the bottom. The reason I discounted nocontrol's background is because almost everyone will excel in private education, and because I did not suggest that black males were incapable of excelling in education.
    "Why are they the only group to struggle ?"
    Maybe the cause is not a surplus of carribean culture, but an absence of it. Perhaps the hindu immigrants over-achieved exactly insofar as they failed to assimilate to the native british culture. I suspect the west indians were too open to british culture - having been shipped over there by us in the first place. So when they came to london, they turned cockney over-night.
    Perhaps assimilation is inversely related to achievement.
    Although, the counter-example to my theory would be the lower success of muslim pakistani immigrants, who integrate no more than the hindus.

(Original post by yourfaceisfunny)
    there used to one in polish in ealing broadway, like the massive one saying: 'tedy do domu'. i am polish myself, but hey, we live in england, dont we?
    Why is hearing people speaking, or seeing billboards written, in a different language supposed to be a bad thing? I think it's romantic, it makes you feel like you're on holiday. If everyone spoke english all the time now that would be boring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandro)
    "Why are they the only group to struggle ?"
    Maybe the cause is not a surplus of carribean culture, but an absence of it. Perhaps the hindu immigrants over-achieved exactly insofar as they failed to assimilate to the native british culture. I suspect the west indians were too open to british culture - having been shipped over there by us in the first place. So when they came to london, they turned cockney over-night.
    Perhaps assimilation is inversely related to achievement.
    Although, the counter-example to my theory would be the lower success of muslim pakistani immigrants, who integrate no more than the hindus.

Why is hearing people speaking, or seeing billboards written, in a different language supposed to be a bad thing? I think it's romantic, it makes you feel like you're on holiday. If everyone spoke english all the time now that would be boring
    English is the language here. If you live here, you should be able to speak it. Having said that, of course there is nothing wrong with a billboard in a different language lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardine92)
    Hertfordshire or London?
    London..it's be weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    English is the language here. If you live here, you should be able to speak it. Having said that, of course there is nothing wrong with a billboard in a different language lol.
    And when you're on the train, it's much nicer having other people speaking in a foreign language you can't understand, than english. It means you can read a book without being distracted, getting caught up in someone else's conversation
    It gives everyone a lot more privacy

ReputationRep:
    Come to think of it, more generally, where are the best towns to live?
    Norwich, Cambridge, Bristol I'd say. I can't vouch for the North West but it doesn't sound good crime/chav wise according to what people say. Brighton's OK but not my cup o' tea really. Rurally we have some great places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Sat in the cafe by the cracker factory
    You were practicing a magic trick
    And my thoughts got rude, as you talked and chewed
    On the last of your pick and mix

Said your mistaken if your thinking that I haven't been caught cold before
    As you bit into your strawberry lace
    And then a flip in your attention in the form of a gobstopper
    Is all you have left and it was going to waste

Your past-times, consisted of the strange
    And twisted and deranged
    And I love that little game you had called
    Crying lightning

And how you like to aggravate the ice-cream man on rainy afternoons

The next time that I caught my own reflection
    It was on it's way to meet you
    Thinking of excuses to postpone
    You never look like yourself from the side
    But your profile did not hide
    The fact you knew I was approaching your throne

With folded arms you occupy the bench like toothache
    Saw them, puff your chest out like you never lost a war
    And though I try so not to suffer the indignity of a reaction
    There was no cracks to grasp or gaps to claw

And your past-times, consisted of the strange
    And twisted and deranged
    And I hate that little game you had called
    Crying lightning
    And how you like to aggravate the icky man on rainy afternoons

Uninviting
    But not half as impossible as everyone assumes
    You are crying lightning

And twisted and deranged
    Crying lightning
    Crying lightning
    Crying lightning
    Crying lightning

And twisted and deranged
    Crying Lightening
    My facebook status. :love:

Can't believe this thread is still going. Again, if you hate where you live, leave by all means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    My facebook status. :love:

Can't believe this thread is still going. Again, if you hate where you live, leave by all means.

ahaha, agreed. There is a better place than London, it is called Manchester. I think we should have a billboard in central London stating the this...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.