Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help! Living in London is making me a racist! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petticoatlove)
    Well, correct me If Im wrong but u seem to be sayin "London is Crap" so do u have a right to stay there?
    The OP didn't say once that they didn't like London, did they? There is no mention of their like or dislike for London, therefore I'm correcting you and telling you you're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    What are you trying to say? People don't NEED to change race, religion, or birthplace to make others feel comfortable.

im trying to say that basically if someone, lets say OP, has a problem with other people just because they have a different skin colour then it is OP's problem. if living in london is making him racist then it is his problem not the person who just happens to be a different race or religion

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks work experience in Croydon was more than enough for me. I'll stick to my beloved north London thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    racist
    Did you read my posts here? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    London..it's be weird.
    Kay, well yes it is a pain to live here which is why I'm leaving for uni.

ReputationRep:
    The British went to India and Africa uninvited and pillaged and ravaged their lands. Now they complain when hardworking immigrants from those places come to London to make a living. The fact is that the UK NEEDS immigrants.

BTW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_minority

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbits)
    Did you read my posts here? :curious:
    yeh you were clearly racist...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tony2DaMax)
    The British went to India and Africa uninvited and pillaged and ravaged their lands. Now they complain when hardworking immigrants from those places come to London to make a living. The fact is that the UK NEEDS immigrants.

BTW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_minority
    The British alive today did not do that ravaging. And all immigrants are not hardworking. Stop generalising.

ReputationRep:
    The British alive today did not do that ravaging. And all immigrants are not hardworking. Stop generalising.

Yes but their legacy is unfortunately our responsibility, just as yours will be the responsibility of your children.

Yes all immigrants aren't hardworking but most are. Just like all white britons arent hardworking but thankfully the majority are.

ReputationRep:
    Its the same in ever city, besides think about the people who black and are the ethnic minority. being on a bus full of 'whites' including some chavs isnt comfortable either. I can understand where you are coming from but it all adds to the vibrance of London, what do you expect in the capital city of England?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leticiabessel)
    Yes, as I said, there is still a lot of racism and just discrimination in general in Brazil. Inequality is one of Brazil's biggest problems and there's no doubt that the huge majority of the country's wealth lies on white hands.

Corallie - as I said, I can feel uncomfortable around them if I'm a minority, like the only white person among them. That doesnt apply just to black people, it's people of a different culture in general.
    correct me if i'm wrong, i kinda feel you are contradicting yourself, in your previous post you said you generally feel uneasy around black people, this does not take into consideration whether they are well behaved, well educated and speak fluent English(Black British), again you have made a distinction based on skin colour.

okay it doesn't apply to black people alone, does this feeling of uneasiness also occur when you are a minority among English people i think no, you both are white. why not admit it to yourself that you have issues with black people.

ReputationRep:
    Why should everybody speak to each other in English. Since English is the language people should try to learn english, but not forget that learning a language isnt easy and it takes time... If a person migrates to the UK u cant expect him to learn and speak fluent egnlish overnight. On top of that most if not all immigrants speak some english, whether basic or more developed. So let us not be quick to jusge people's lack of english, when we come to think of it, UK is one of the few countries in the world where even a person who is considered highly educated may only speak one language.

But I do not see anything wrong in people on the street not speaking in English, I try and speak Urdu with my Paki mates, since its about the only practice i get, and i value knowing a 2nd language, I also know arabic fluently and when i meet arab people i try and practice my arabic, i wouldnt say that im any less integrated for doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anonymous.

Living in London is really turning me into a racist. I'm white, and I live in a predominantly black area, and I often feel unsafe. I feel nervous when I travel anywhere as I'm often the only white person, and even my white friends have started saying how they feel uncomfortable on the bus being the only white person.

I also get annoyed when everyone around me is speaking a different language, or with a really strong accent. I feel like I'm being stopped from going into places because being white and English means I don't belong. It angers me when I find someone working somewhere who speaks little English, when so many young people are jobless yet again. I find it extremely unnerving, and feel that these people should make more of an effort to take on the English language and traditions when they move here.

I get fed up with the tourists in London and how expensive everything in London is because of them. I get annoyed when there's always someone who pushes in front of you because they don't understand the concept of queueing. I get anxious when I walk past a group of people in hoodies (regardless of race or gender) because they've brought over an American 'gangsta' attitude, and this is particularly prominent in many parts of south and east London.

What happened to the polite England, where 'sorry' was the most said word? Where are peoples manners? What should we do with people who say 'England is crap, X is so much better!'? Should they have the right to stay here?

This isn't a question of race, so much, but I think people should make more of an effort to adopt the English ways when they move here. I respect that people want to carry on their own culture, but going out of your way to promote it is causing societal segregation.

Am I in the wrong for feeling like this? I feel that if the situation were reversed, and I were abroad and emphasising my English ways I would be heavily frowned upon, and don't understand why it's seen as alright to carry on this way.
    Snap into reality.
    If you went to live in another country, you wouldn't adopt their ways, would you?

Exactly. Now shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerness)
    Snap into reality.
    If you went to live in another country, you wouldn't adopt their ways, would you?

Exactly. Now shut up.
    That's just an argument against multiculturalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerness)
    Snap into reality.

Exactly. Now shut up.
    You shouldn't move to a country unless you can accept their attitudes and learn the language etc.

Indeed, if many people moved here, refusing to accept our way of life, there would be chaos. I fail to see why the OP needs to "snap into reality".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    OMG, how racist are you?

By the way is Croydon a mini Birmingham...

how am i racist? :confused:

and ive never been to birmingham

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the OP. The streets just aren't as friendly as they used to be anymore, and this hasn't really got anything to do with race. It's the loss of culture, and the rise of chavs which is killing London. I say all chavs be beheaded at once, regardless of race.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't move to a country unless you can accept their attitudes and learn the language etc.

Indeed, if many people moved here, refusing to accept our way of life, there would be chaos. I fail to see why the OP needs to "snap into reality".
    Our way of life? Plase elaborate our way of life...

Not nesscerily moving to another counrty but going on holiday. We get annoyed at how we can't understand them, how we can't tolerate the behave, their cultures sometimes.

(Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    That's just an argument against multiculturalism.
    Well TSR is mainly built up upon arguements....

ReputationRep:
    Now you what some ethinic minorites feel like when they live in only white areas. I feel very sorry for you. Instead of making comments maybe you should to educate yourself on different cultures and actually try and make contact with some of these groups instead of hiding under the pillow and making these kind of comments. You have no idea how they feel about you. Just image being forced from your own country because of issue you can not control and ending up in the UK. Not exactly the most welcoming place on earth is it. It is only natural to want to live amongst people who speak and share the same histories. It is also about having support. DON'T MAKE IT A BLACK ISSUE EITHER BECAUSE YOU WILL GET THE SAME FEELING IF IT WAS AN ESTATE IN A PREDOMINATELY WHITE AREA IS INTIMATING WHATEVER YOU COLOUR IS. TRY THAT I HAVE. I am a Londoner and I love it, warts and all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arwen Black)
    Now you what some ethinic minorites feel like when they live in only white areas. I feel very sorry for you. Instead of making comments maybe you should to educate yourself on different cultures and actually try and make contact with some of these groups instead of hiding under the pillow and making these kind of comments. You have no idea how they feel about you. Just image being forced from your own country because of issue you can not control and ending up in the UK. Not exactly the most welcoming place on earth is it. It is only natural to want to live amongst people who speak and share the same histories. It is also about having support. DON'T MAKE IT A BLACK ISSUE EITHER BECAUSE YOU WILL GET THE SAME FEELING IF IT WAS AN ESTATE IN A PREDOMINATELY WHITE AREA IS INTIMATING WHATEVER YOU COLOUR IS. TRY THAT I HAVE. I am a Londoner and I love it, warts and all.
    If you were "forced out", why would you end up in the UK?

I thought asylum seekers had to go to the nearest country (ie, most likely not the UK).

And how isn't the UK welcoming? It has a very liberal immigration policy.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.