Turn on thread page Beta

Help! Living in London is making me a racist! watch

Announcements

I live in Zone 53... Yorkshire. You'd think living near Leeds would have lessened the impact for me but London is so foreign it scares me too. I was in Waitrose on Gloucester Road, Kensington & NONE of the staff were English. It's like that in most shops. I think it's really weird. & it really irks me when people shout in foreign languages on public transport.

I'm half Greek, by the way. I can proudly say that my Greek half has fully assimilated to English life. I feel it's an obligation to be as British as a Barbour Wax Jacket & a Sunday Roast. & I love it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorafdfs)
    It's not so much race as class. It's always povo areas that are rough like council estates, hence the South and East are best avoided. It's because they're bitter that anyone else might be better off than them.
    perhaps youre unable to accept that people who arnet as well of as you, are BETTER than you.

id rather live in an area with a bit of its own culture and a sense of itself, with people who dont judge based solely on money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geminibubblegum)
    I know!!!this is probably ocmpletley hypocritical of me but I odn't go out aorund the area I live that much anymore, because the poeple annoy me so much. I get male attention I would never get elsewhere in the city, I feel unsafe and I always have about a hundred aunties pushing infront of me and hijabis giving me dirty looks because I'm wearing a skirt.

GRRRRRRRRR

/rant.

lol Hijabis omg im on the floor. I am not white but do see where your coming from. But its the same for everyone not just you. How do you think a non-white person feels in a predominantly white area? I have a feeling they may feel more scared than white ppl are of non-whites. But that's just me..

I live near torquay and the big groups of foreign tourists really annoy me but i wouldn't say it's racist! I spose it reflects the kind of people who come on holiday to torbay wherever they are from! CHAVS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I live in Zone 53... Yorkshire. You'd think living near Leeds would have lessened the impact for me but London is so foreign it scares me too. I was in Waitrose on Gloucester Road, Kensington & NONE of the staff were English. It's like that in most shops. I think it's really weird. & it really irks me when people shout in foreign languages on public transport.

I'm half Greek, by the way. I can proudly say that my Greek half has fully assimilated to English life. I feel it's an obligation to be as British as a Barbour Wax Jacket & a Sunday Roast. & I love it too.
    It works both ways. Asians going outside London would find it as much a culture shock as whites coming into London for the first time. London is full of asians and the rest of england is full of white people :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappySadHappy)
    lol Hijabis omg im on the floor. I am not white but do see where your coming from. But its the same for everyone not just you. How do you think a non-white person feels in a predominantly white area? I have a feeling they may feel more scared than white ppl are of non-whites. But that's just me..
    exactly.

and if dirty looks is all you have to worry about.....well just put it in a bit of perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jataylorlfc)
    i dont think the world is becoming less friendly.

everyones just more scared of each other, youre proof of that my dear.

crime has actually gone down overall, fear of crime on the other hand consistently increases.

when was the last time u were attacked/know some1 who was attacked, yet how likely does the media make u feel that u will be attacked?
    Im not scared of everyone else, just certain genders within certain age gaps ^_^
    Actually i live in a london suburb and even though i have escaped being mugged so far (although this is also alot due to my sense and fear of being mugged meaning im really careful and much more sensible than most) but every guy i know has been mugged atleast twice and ive seen numerous gangs come over and attack a whole group of me and my friends i also know someone threatened with a gun and numerous people threatened with knives and someone who was hit over the head with a brick? In my local newspaper there are violent attacks muggings and/or stabbings every week and its not even like i live in brixton? so i dont really see how you could say there is little risk of danger?
    its not like i live my life in fear, i just appreciate there is a risk?

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you watch American History X.

Though it may increase your racial hatred, it makes you realise that all this fear or hatred of other races is really pointless. Black thugs are no different to white thugs. You can't imagine all white people are nice and caring, because their not. Man the **** up and realise the world isn't so sweet and sunshine anymore, it's big and ugly. You can either continue to moan about it, or just ignore this and live your life. I know which option I'd choose..

ReputationRep:
    And this is why I'm glad I have concealed carry in my country

(Original post by MadMatt)
    It works both ways. Asians going outside London would find it as much a culture shock as whites coming into London for the first time. London is full of asians and the rest of england is full of white people :rolleyes:
    Oh dear me, poor asians, having a cultural shock of seeing white people, what shall we do to help them

Erm surely this is the UK, so they have to assimilate to our culture and our people :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boxingfan91)
    I suggest you watch American History X.

Though it may increase your racial hatred, it makes you realise that all this fear or hatred of other races is really pointless. Black thugs are no different to white thugs. You can't imagine all white people are nice and caring, because their not. Man the **** up and realise the world isn't so sweet and sunshine anymore, it's big and ugly. You can either continue to moan about it, or just ignore this and live your life. I know which option I'd choose..

Great movie, thugs true are thugs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappySadHappy)
    How do you think a non-white person feels in a predominantly white area? I have a feeling they may feel more scared than white ppl are of non-whites. But that's just me..
    Perfectly content, because most all white areas are middle class containing people who wouldn't even dream of being racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    Perfectly content, because most all white areas are middle class containing people who wouldn't even dream of being racist.
    Because it's not fashionable....for now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jataylorlfc)
    perhaps youre unable to accept that people who arnet as well of as you, are BETTER than you.

id rather live in an area with a bit of its own culture and a sense of itself, with people who dont judge based solely on money.
    That doesn't make sense. So people who aren't as well off as me (I AM working-class) commit crime.... because they're better than me? Okay lol. I didn't realise sink estates were the only places with culture and a sense of themselves.

Oh, chavs, the pinnacle of refinement!

ReputationRep:
    Err...are you being serious? There are slums all over the country, not just in East London you know. Manchester, B.ham, Glasgow ...most of the north :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Erm surely this is the UK, so they have to assimilate to our culture and our people :rolleyes:
    That doesn't deny them the right to have culture shock when travelling outside London!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMatt)
    Err...are you being serious? There are slums all over the country, not just in East London you know. Manchester, B.ham, Glasgow ...most of the north :rolleyes:
    Most of these slums are not white, and the ones that are,or used to be, are being infiltrated. Most all white areas in the UK are middle class ones.

ReputationRep:
    i love london so much...
    but, i do understand your frustration and on my bad days, i can agree with them... you're saying what alot of people are afraid to say.

i love the multi culturalism, but sometimes i whine about expats in UK not bothering to learn English etc etc..

but then i remember my time growing up in the middle east as a British expat, and the vast majority of the white english people i knew could never be bothered to learn anything about arabs or islam or the language.
    we're all the same.

ReputationRep:
    Please keep anonymous.

It angers me when I find someone working somewhere who speaks little English, when so many young people are jobless yet again.
    Did you mean 'when so many young English people?! I find that statement offensive, and don't appreciate the implications of it either.

ReputationRep:
    Most of these slums are not white, and the ones that are,or used to be, are being infiltrated. Most all white areas in the UK are middle class ones.
    You're ignorant if not deluded. There are as many white ghettos in the UK as there are foreign ghettos.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.