Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! Living in London is making me a racist! Watch

ReputationRep:
    East Londons always been rough tbf... before immigration... the krays... frankie fraiser etc.

ReputationRep:
    England is a scared country, south/east london isn't even as dangerous as it's made out to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAAirz)
    East Londons always been rough tbf... before immigration... the krays... frankie fraiser etc.
    East London has always been the least affluent part of London since the dock workers used to live there. It's just carried on being poor with little investment from successive govts, til now it seems (Im referring to the olympics).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    I absolutely love Islington (where I live) and London as a whole, and its diversity is a key factor in it. I also like east and central London a lot. Don't go down to south London much, so don't have an opinion on that part of London.
    :ditto:

I lived near Walthamstow and I liked that it was so diverse. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    This is the UK - don't you know it's racist to get pissed off when nobody speaks ******* English?

ReputationRep:
    thats london for you!
    if you dont like it, go move to devon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    It just happens that the offspring of immigrants grow up in the working-class culture where its 'in' to be unacademic and disrespectful towards others.
    No it isn't. :rolleyes: It's the offspring of the nonacademic and disrespectful that grow up in a culture where it's 'in' to be nonacademic and disrespectful. Whether their parents are immigrants or not has very little to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    Most of these slums are not white, and the ones that are,or used to be, are being infiltrated. Most all white areas in the UK are middle class ones.
    are u joking or just deluded?

(Original post by MadMatt)
    Get the hell out. Asians in particular have a huge work ethic, put strong emphasis on education and outdo their peers in pretty much all subjects....obviously with a bias towards the sciences.
    I'm generalising, I'm not saying everyone's like that. I happen to be one of those 'Asians with a huge work ethic...

with a bias towards the sciences' :redface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floofy)
    Welcome to the club. :ahee:
    i dared to look at your sig. and it made me happy :p:

OP, i agree. but i still love london ridiculous amounts.

ReputationRep:
    serves you right for living in hackney!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    It's not necessarily about race, it's about social class. In fact, racism shouldn't even be a proper ideology because it all boils down to culture. Genetics alone does not determine the type of person you will be, your environment plays a huge role in that. It just happens that the offspring of immigrants grow up in the working-class culture where its 'in' to be unacademic and disrespectful towards others.
    not true, the most successful group educationally in britain today are middle class-female-indians/descendants of british indians.

the least successful are impoverished white and black boys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jataylorlfc)
    i dont think the world is becoming less friendly.

everyones just more scared of each other, youre proof of that my dear.

crime has actually gone down overall, fear of crime on the other hand consistently increases.

when was the last time u were attacked/know some1 who was attacked, yet how likely does the media make u feel that u will be attacked?
    :yes: I've lived in South East London all my life and have never been attacked, nor has anyone I know (actually know, not been told by a friend).
    I am careful, not scared. In the same way I'm careful when crossing roads, but not scared of cars. It's only little children who are desperately scared of something that they have been repeatedly told is dangerous because they can't think for themselves yet.

ReputationRep:
    i can see people getting annoyed with this but personally i agree with most of the things you wrote especially about intergration - it makes me very angry. it alienates people. people who come from here!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-jardin-sur-le-nil)
    i can see people getting annoyed with this but personally i agree with most of the things you wrote especially about intergration - it makes me very angry. it alienates people. people who come from here!!!
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Britain's going downhill big time, yes
    But it's not because of multi-culturalism

Have you seen what the working-class white culture is like in this country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do not venture east, stay in either the inner city boroughs like Westminster, Kensington, Chelsea. Or, very far out into places like Bromley. Avoid Croydon and the East End like your life depends on it! Do not go east or too south. You just need to find a nice area that's all, do not dismiss the whole of the city because one area is full of it.
    What's wrong with SE , that's where I live. SE E S isn't as bad as made out to be .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-jardin-sur-le-nil)
    Why don't you start by choosing an english username if you're so desperate to showcase your Britishness then.

ReputationRep:
    I understand how you feel. This may sound incredibly hypocritical coming from an immigrant, but I feel almost exactly the same way you do.

Just a little background info - I'm 16, moved from São Paulo, Brazil to Plymouth UK 3 years ago. This part of the country has few immigrants compared to London, and though their numbers are increasing rapidly, it makes me feel inexperienced and uncomfortable whenever I go to London, which is about every 3 months.

I believe that when people move to a different country, they should keep the foundations of their own culture, but at the same time adjust themselves to the new culture. Which is why it annoys me a lot when people of a certain country keep to their own little community and try to mix as little as possible with the "natives", that is, the English. What is even the point of moving, if you're going to live exactly as you did before? So this means that I try my best to "fit in" in England, as immature as it may sound from a "teenage" angle. I get embarrassed if I go out with my mum and she starts talking too loudly in Portuguese - I usually prefer to whisper or speak English, because I feel rude. I already had "inside knowledge" on the British and international culture in general even before I came here, so it's not like it was a big discovery that you should say sorry, thank you and please in almost every sentence (ok, that's a joke).

The point is, even though I'm an immigrant myself, I often feel uncomfortable when I go to London and am surrounded by so many other people from so many other countries, speaking so many other languages. I don't feel like they should be kicked out of the country or anything - it's involuntary.

I hate it when people think they're BETTER than everyone else just because they're foreign and act superior. I also hate it when it's the opposite (ie the British being racist, though fortunately I haven't met that many of them... not many who are openly racist, at least). Also, who DOESN'T feel annoyed when, I don't know, you're trying to get information or something, and nobody there can explain it right because nobody speaks English properly??

I think we can all be a little bit racist inside even if we don't show it, and it's involuntary, as I said before. My feeling uncomfortable is involuntary, but sometimes I worry, too, that I'm becoming a real racist. I don't really think so, one of my best friends is Polish, but I can't help but feel uneasy if I'm around lots of black people, for example. I don't think it has to do with black people, though - just being a minority, feeling intimidated.

There really isn't anything we can do about it, just accept that Britain is a multicultural country. (Ok, stating the obvious, but still). I just try my best to ignore negative feelings (while taking care of myself).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leticiabessel)
    I understand how you feel. This may sound incredibly hypocritical coming from an immigrant, but I feel almost exactly the same way you do.

Just a little background info - I'm 16, moved from São Paulo, Brazil to Plymouth UK 3 years ago. This part of the country has few immigrants compared to London, and though their numbers are increasing rapidly, it makes me feel inexperienced and uncomfortable whenever I go to London, which is about every 3 months.

I believe that when people move to a different country, they should keep the foundations of their own culture, but at the same time adjust themselves to the new culture. Which is why it annoys me a lot when people of a certain country keep to their own little community and try to mix as little as possible with the "natives", that is, the English. What is even the point of moving, if you're going to live exactly as you did before? So this means that I try my best to "fit in" in England, as immature as it may sound from a "teenage" angle. I get embarrassed if I go out with my mum and she starts talking too loudly in Portuguese - I usually prefer to whisper or speak English, because I feel rude. I already had "inside knowledge" on the British and international culture in general even before I came here, so it's not like it was a big discovery that you should say sorry, thank you and please in almost every sentence (ok, that's a joke).

The point is, even though I'm an immigrant myself, I often feel uncomfortable when I go to London and am surrounded by so many other people from so many other countries, speaking so many other languages. I don't feel like they should be kicked out of the country or anything - it's involuntary.

I hate it when people think they're BETTER than everyone else just because they're foreign and act superior. I also hate it when it's the opposite (ie the British being racist, though fortunately I haven't met that many of them... not many who are openly racist, at least). I think we can all be a little bit racist inside even if we don't show it, and it's involuntary, as I said before. My feeling uncomfortable is involuntary, but sometimes I worry, too, that I'm becoming a real racist. I don't really think so, one of my best friends is Polish, but I can't help but feel uneasy if I'm around lots of black people, for example. I don't think it has to do with black people, though - just being a minority, feeling intimidated.

There really isn't anything we can do about it, just accept that Britain is a multicultural country. (Ok, stating the obvious, but still). I just try my best to ignore negative feelings (while taking care of myself).
    Correct me if im wrong arent there tons of black people in Brazil?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.