Turn on thread page Beta

Help! Living in London is making me a racist! watch

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP makes some very valid points and no I am not an immigrant, I respect culture and different ways of live but I also believe if you choose to live in Britain you should respect the British culture. I was very tempted to complain to the manager in a shop yesterday as I was being served the assistant and security guard just started up a conversation in a foreign language. I thought it was disgusting, I wasn't chatting on my mobile or being rude to her, so why did she feel the need to have a private conversation in a foreign language when she was at work.

I always feel abit embarassed when I am abroad and speaking english, but if I need to ask a question or buy something I always attempt to ask in the correct language. It's a shame some people who move here don't feel the same way or even attempt intregration. I personally feel if you don't like it in Britain move elsewhere don't complain and want the country to change to a different culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    No, I live in London city. Duh :sad:
    I am worried, because I know I'll have more by tomorrow. I just can't resist making babies with those warning points and increasing its numbers :rolleyes:

Ya habibi, calm down .. If you're gonna dis me, do it good and make it realistic, OK? You can't out-dance me. I've got Colombian blood = Shakira hips. Eh. Yeah. Believe it. :ninja:
    You're hips don't lie :awesome: Giggty Giggty Gooo

And dis?? You've got a warped sense of dis, i just said i would out dance you using the carlton dance.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...ce/carlton.gif

Ohh yehh :cool:

ReputationRep:
    In defence of Croydon, it's not all bad. South Croydon is a lovely area, sanderstead + selsdon are quite nice as well.

Just starts going downhill once you go into central Croydon (which is infected with Chavs) and on into West Croydon. As a white guy i wouldn't go into West Croydon without a bit of backup, either i'll probably get 'shanked'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMatt)
    One another note, you seriously don't want to venture into places like Walthamstow.
    my grandad has mates up there. he used to take me all the way to walthamstow just so he could get cut price food. I think he reckons he the paki version of delboy. aww i love him

(Original post by HappySadHappy)
    lol Hijabis omg im on the floor. I am not white but do see where your coming from. But its the same for everyone not just you. How do you think a non-white person feels in a predominantly white area? I have a feeling they may feel more scared than white ppl are of non-whites. But that's just me..
    I'm not white. yes, it's that bad, even i notice now

(Original post by Snookercraze)
    Where is this?
    and the place in question is.. drumroll please.........

the London Borough of Hounslow.

pfft.

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone getting so arsey about the OP's post?? It's not very nice not being able to buy stuff from your corner shop because you don't know polish and have no idea what you're buying, its not nice to be abused at work because you don't understand punjabi, greater london isn't a nice place to live anymore and it doesn't make me a racist to admit it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMatt)
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

For all its faults, London is still the best city in the world. Without the multi-cultural aspect of the city, we would be no where near as prosperous so we have to deal with it.

One another note, you seriously don't want to venture into places like Walthamstow.
    I live in Walthamstow :ninja:

It's not that bad compared to other area's of East London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yourfaceisfunny)
    I went to a birtday party of my mate, there were plenty of people i didnt know, but i didnt really mind. i was having a lovely conversation with a girl i didnt know, who was asian by the way, and then another asian girl joined us. after a while, the other one said something like: 'he dates her because she's white, and all the white girls are easy.' i was like, hey, im white, then she says: 'and look how you look, and then look at us, you should cover your knees, that skirt is too short.' i was like what, does being white makes you easy? why the hell shall i cover my knees if im on a party, just because their religion says so? england is multicultural, but how can an immigrant throw his beliefs and views on local person (i am not british, but the girl thought i am)? why there are billboars with captions in forgein languages? why the hell shop assistants do not speak english if we live in ******* england? i do not have anything against migration, i am an immigrant myslef, but can we please learn local language and traditions before going to another country? people coming here should gradually become more 'english'.
    I've never seen a billboard with another language on it! :eek: Where is this you're talking about?

(Original post by *Sparkle*)
    Why is everyone getting so arsey about the OP's post?? It's not very nice not being able to buy stuff from your corner shop because you don't know polish and have no idea what you're buying, its not nice to be abused at work because you don't understand punjabi, greater london isn't a nice place to live anymore and it doesn't make me a racist to admit it.
    Because they disagree with his/her opinion. Obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Theres absolutely NO sense of community in London.

As a Londoner, I've travelled around the country quite a bit. I notice that in other regional towns (mainly because they're regional) the people feel more as if they're part of a community. They feel as if its THEIR city.

Native Londoners don't even feel as if London belongs to them. Rich Londoners think London belongs to working-class. Working class Londoners feel as if London belongs to the rich Londoners. Natives feel as if London belongs to Somalian refugees and Polish immigrants, and Somalian refugees and Polish immigrants feel as if London belongs to the natives.

Thus its cold for everyone. You never quite know where you stand with the place

How many non english words are in the english vocabulary? Its PART of British culture to constantly have other cultures being intergrated into it. It concerns me that people forget this so easily...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you are really being racist. You just have concerns based on your experiences.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely agree OP.
    I am by no means racist but it doesn't feel like Britain/ British people actually have their own identity any more, and it's a shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How many non english words are in the english vocabulary? Its PART of British culture to constantly have other cultures being intergrated into it. It concerns me that people forget this so easily...
    key word being integrated though...

ReputationRep:

What happened to the polite England, where 'sorry' was the most said word? Where are peoples manners? What should we do with people who say 'England is crap, X is so much better!'? Should they have the right to stay here?

It's a fairy tale, it never existed....sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    Theres absolutely NO sense of community in London.

As a Londoner, I've travelled around the country quite a bit. I notice that in other regional towns (mainly because they're regional) the people feel more as if they're part of a community. They feel as if its THEIR city.

Native Londoners don't even feel as if London belongs to them. Rich Londoners think London belongs to working-class. Working class Londoners feel as if London belongs to the rich Londoners. Natives feel as if London belongs to Somalian refugees and Polish immigrants, and Somalian refugees and Polish immigrants feel as if London belongs to the natives.

Thus its cold for everyone. You never quite know where you stand with the place
    Which Londoners do you represent? Use the search function to see the threads there have been on 'Who loves London' or telling people to post here if you 'heart London' (that might be Facebook actually..). Most of the Londoners I know love London and are proud to be Londoners. Haven't you heard the phrase 'I'm not from Britain/England, I'm from London!'? And I guess you've never been on a coach full of Arsenal fans travelling to an away match singing 'Maybe it's Because I'm a Londoner...'? My room at Uni (in Nottingham) has a poster of London at night in it.

London is MY city, my home. It really irritates me that you've attempted to speak for so many different groups of people when you can't possibly know what they all think. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malleablegrace)
    I definitely agree OP.
    I am by no means racist but it doesn't feel like Britain/ British people actually have their own identity any more, and it's a shame.
    In what way? Which aspects of our identity have we lost? What would you identify as British from 20, heck 30 years ago that isn't here now? Just wondering...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Apt description of Multi-Cultural Britain.

That said, I love London. The whole diversity of the city helps make it amazing in my opinion.
    It's not a description of multi-cultural Britain. It's a description of London and a few other cities such as Leicester. The vast majority of people in this country are white and it is wrong to assume that just because there are large numbers of non-whites in one area, the same applies everywhere else. It doesn't.

I haven't seen a non-white person in months, while I've been away from university, because there are very, very few in this area.

ReputationRep:
    If you think living in London is making you a racist, I would love to know what you would think of living in Leicester!
    So, you're fed up of being in a predominantly non-white area, well you can find somewhere more your scene by a mere tube stop or two can't you? And there is so much going on to see and do around London that you should not really have time to dwell on such things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Which Londoners do you represent? Use the search function to see the threads there have been on 'Who loves London' or telling people to post here if you 'heart London' (that might be Facebook actually..). Most of the Londoners I know love London and are proud to be Londoners. Haven't you heard the phrase 'I'm not from Britain/England, I'm from London!'? And I guess you've never been on a coach full of Arsenal fans travelling to an away match singing 'Maybe it's Because I'm a Londoner...'? My room at Uni (in Nottingham) has a poster of London at night in it.

London is MY city, my home. It really irritates me that you've attempted to speak for so many different groups of people when you can't possibly know what they all think. :hmmm:
    But I love London! I can only speak from my own experience, so you can't try to speak for me!

ReputationRep:
    Mate you are a weirdo.

If you go to any capital city things will always be expensive because of tourists, don't shop there. simple as. there is plenty of other places.
    As to being uncomfortable because you are the only white guy..please stfu because imagine being the only black person on the bus with a bunch of white people! There is a rare occurence of a white person getting beaten up by blacks because they are white, no one is dumb enough to do that in england
    There have been so many racial crimes on blacks and other races by whites.
    I have felt threatened by white people.

As people have said before if you don't like london then get out, but don't bother going to any other city. Go to some lame village man.
    exactly...

It's true... I'm half white and live in a town in the outskirts of Birmingham. The chavs carrying knives and shooting drugs scare me ********...

My mum is the white half and she acts more indian than my british asian dad! She makes me go to the mandir to purify me or something 'cause I think she's caught on to the fact that I may not believe in god. And yes in those areas... I get that over the top male attention that I don't normally get and aunties and women wearing hajibs giving me evils at my skirt... but it's harmless... I don't feel scared... more annoyed...

I feel scared as a "british" looking person in a white town... same goes either way... If you get a group of scary looking people regardless of race, you'll feel scared.

I'm going to UCL next year... I won't have anything to do with all you people who hate coloured people. You're disgusting... and what's more I can't believe that there are so many of you who hold these nasty thoughts in your minds, I never knew about it until I came on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malleablegrace)
    I definitely agree OP.
    Believe me, as an immigrant, that the British still have a very unique identity.

It's a shame that people don't travel more and spend some time living abroad - people are just really not that different all over the world; it's just in groups that they sometimes do strange things. I love multiculturalism because people uniting in groups with a single identity scares me and often leads to violence, war and misery. Also, sometimes I think it is quite ridiculous what is expected from foreigners. Learning a new language is not easy (how many languages do most of you speak fluently?) and letting go of cultural traditions and values is sometimes even more difficult (surely you would not suddenly start beating your girl if you were forced to move to Afghanistan?). Most immigrants I know are doing their very best and are behaving extremely well, all things considered.

That does not mean I do not sympathise with the OP. Adapting to changes can be very difficult, and make you feel lonely and unsafe. Please do not blame it on race, though.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.