Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corallie13)
    Well if thats the case why do people on tsr scoff when people say they do degrees such as leisure and tourism or journalism
    People don't like change or anything new, because if it's new it must be inherently easier or so the logic supposedly goes.

Personally I think each to their own, it matters not what people are doing so long as they enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    I think BSc's are "real"... BA's are stupid.

IMO!
    Yeah...like all of those Oxford degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donnahh)
    Eugh, who needs a degree in Art? If you can draw, you can draw... :rolleyes:
    The arts (English, Philosophy, Classics, History...).

Who needs a degree in maths, if you can add up you can add up? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    People don't like change or anything new, because if it's new it must be inherently easier or so the logic supposedly goes.

Personally I think each to their own, it matters not what people are doing so long as they enjoy it.
    well said methinks:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    The arts (English, Philosophy, Classics, History...).

Who needs a degree in maths, if you can add up you can add up? :p:
    I said Art, not The Arts ahaa.

And math = money. Want it? Don't get an art "degree", plus, art is more of a hobby thing.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Yeah...like all of those Oxford degrees.
    BSc degrees are more likely to get you a job!

What can u do with humanities, media, english which is directly related to ur degree?

ReputationRep:
    I just got warned for saying that "yo momma constitutes a real degree" earlier on. I therefore wanted to apologize hereby, and say that it wasn't true. Yo momma most certainly doesn't constitute a real degree and there's absolutely no hi-5 to her.

Mods would appreciate that. :yep:

ReputationRep:

And math = money. Want it? Don't get an art "degree", plus, art is more of a hobby thing.:rolleyes:
    People do fine art degrees to develop their artistic skills.

ReputationRep:
    Drama and Art don't really hold the same level of importance to more academic subjects IMO. In fact

ReputationRep:
    Question.

Cambridge goes and makes a Media Studies degree but calls it 'Political Communication' BA. Is that real or fake?

ReputationRep:

What can u do with humanities, media, english which is directly related to ur degree?
    Erm, English teacher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corallie13)
    People do fine art degrees to develop their artistic skills.
    I understand that, and respect that, but, realistically speaking, what kind of job can you get with that? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heir-Head)
    Drama and Art don't really hold the same level of importance to more academic subjects IMO. In fact
    I can see why you say that, but surely we all cant be economists, scientists, bankers.

ReputationRep:

Teaching? Writer?

ReputationRep:

Yes, but the person you quoted said arts. Same goes for art.

Maths doesn't always equal money. Art can be a passion, just like maths is a passion to some. Why is it any less deserving of degree status?

It can lead to professions/jobs of its own (art therapist, curator, illustrator, graphic designer). Even if it doesn't, if someone has the talent, passion and desire to develop their skills and knowledge of art and the history of art then why deny them the chance of studying that at a higher level?

ReputationRep:

Well I was pointing out that many Oxford degrees are BA, including the sciences.

Firstly, degrees arn't just tickets to jobs. Secondly many ''graduate jobs'' don't require specific degrees, just a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heir-Head)
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nora-FNE)
    I agree to a certain extent as I am doing a Bsc and then hopefully Msc.

However with media etc I think it depends what you want to do with it. I've got a friend who did a media degree and is now a camera operator for the BBC. If you're doing a degree for the hell of it then fair enough.

Fake Degree for me is: American Studies I mean seriously!! WTF!
    just wondering what you think of hispanic studies/ latin american studies?

ReputationRep:
    Drama and Theatre Studies
    Waste Management
    Golf Development
    Horse Psychology
    David Beckham Studies

^__^

ReputationRep:
    I understand that, and respect that, but, realistically speaking, what kind of job can you get with that? :confused:
    I think there are alot of people who do degrees because they have a talent and enjoy the subject, not just to get a specific job.

However, to answer your question, people with art degrees would fit nicely in the creative industries perhaps working as illustrators for magazines, in advertising or in maybe teaching.

Those are just a few ideas , im sure there's any more.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.