Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A degree is a degree, none are more "real" than others. It is just narrow minded people that look through a very limited viewpoint who think their degree is worth something more or makes them superior to others and have a better chance of getting a job solely based on the degree they have chosen.

Of course some degrees may be seen as more academic and so on but if a degree is relevant to the line of work you choose to go into or is something that you enjoy and want to study further then that is also a "real" degree.

It annoys me to see so many people bashing media. I agree that it does seem easy but how can this not be a real degree if it prepares its stupids for one of the single most important industry in this country!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Well I was pointing out that many Oxford degrees are BA, including the sciences.

Firstly, degrees arn't just tickets to jobs. Secondly many ''graduate jobs'' don't require specific degrees, just a degree.
    Oh, i didnt no that! Im glad im not going oxford.

I wana be a research scientist, for zoology. So i hope the phd that one day im going to get will be for a degree specific job...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Teaching? Writer?
    Fun shizzle :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    Fun shizzle :yawn:
    So the criteria for deciding what is and isn't a "real" degree is how "fun" the directly related career options are? my, how scientific and logical!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    So the criteria for deciding what is and isn't a "real" degree is how "fun" the directly related career options are? my, how scientific and logical!
    Its amazing how some people can twist what other people have said so that it makes them look smart.
    edit: and i would want a fun job and hence a job that i would enjoy, yes.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

I wana be a research scientist, for zoology. So i hope the phd that one day im going to get will be for a degree specific job...!
    I see...well, good luck with that :top:

ReputationRep:
    Anything that will not assist you in the pursuit to become an investment banker.

Anything that will not assist you in the pursuit to become a lawyer.

Anything that will not assist you in the pursuit to become an engineer.

Oh wait, do we mean outside of TSR? In that case it's a qualification awarded by a college or university to signify your completion of a course of study.

ReputationRep:
    Its amazing how some people can twist what other people have said so that it makes them look smart.
    edit: and i would want a fun job and hence a job that i would enjoy, yes.
    and it's amazingly annoying how some people make inane and irrelevant replies to topics!

as far as I'm concerned, being a writer would be a really fun and rewarding job. Being a research scientist would be incredibly dull for me on a day-to-day basis. How 'fun' certain jobs can be is such an objective thing, what's it got to do with what degree is 'real' or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackeroo)
    just wondering what you think of hispanic studies/ latin american studies?
    I think they are acceptable. Studying a different culture then fair play. Different ways of life, different languages, different politics, different economic status (to us that is). You can get a job in languages or in govornment.

I feel that the American culture is too similar to our own and we readily understand out own. What job are you gonna get that is related to an American studies degree? Apart from a job in America. Our society is Americanised as it is .....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Most would say a degree in a traditional subject, whether that be an arts, science, humanities, or social science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    and it's amazingly annoying how some people make inane and irrelevant replies to topics!

as far as I'm concerned, being a writer would be a really fun and rewarding job. Being a research scientist would be incredibly dull for me on a day-to-day basis. How 'fun' certain jobs can be is such an objective thing, what's it got to do with what degree is 'real' or not?
    Where did i ever directly say that what makes a degree "real" is whether u can get a fun job off it!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Well I was pointing out that many Oxford degrees are BA, including the sciences.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.