Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anon or delete please

Hope this is in the right section!

OK so I'm almost 22, been "trying" to use tampons for a while now because I'm tired of the pitfalls of sanitary towels. The problems is... I can't seem to get them to work!! I use the applicator ones and push it up as far as I can yet it always leaks and I have to wear a pad too.

When I come to take it out, it's always moved down from where I pushed it in. Am I missing something?? Without being too graphic, can anyone explain the technique to use so that the tampon goes in high enough and will stay there and catch the flow? I've tried various different ways and the same thing happens each time- it slides down as I move around and becomes ineffective

Any help would be appreciated. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Not trying to be rude - but maybe you have a wideset vagina...
    Try using super tampons instead?

ReputationRep:
    Mooncup. Hehee

ReputationRep:
    You're not using a high enough absorbency by the sounds, or you're not changing them often enough. Keep trying, it takes a while to get the hang of it and get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    Are you using the right absorbency for your flow? Give the super ones a try, they may help. As for technique, I would say that when you pull out the applicator, insert the top part to the point where the ridge at the bottom (of the top section.. not the whole thing!) is touching your body, then pop the tampon in. You shouldn't be able to feel it once it's in, if it's in far enough.

ReputationRep:
    yuck

use a tea bag or something my mum swears by them

As mentioned already...

Use a higher absorbancy, in terms of technique; I make sure I hold the applicator at the very end, then push it in until my finger touches my body, then put the tampon in until the applicator cannot go in any further. That ensures that its in high enough. If all else fails, try a mooncup

ReputationRep:
    All i know is there great for nosebleeds

ReputationRep:
    What length are your periods usually? If only 3-5 days then you just have a heavy flow and need to change them more regularly. I have a short period (4 days) and the mooncup has fitted in best with me. It's very easy once you get the hang of it and provides a longer window of opportunity for emptying (as opposed to changing tampons) before a leak could occur.

The one drawback of mooncups is having to take water with you to clean them when using public toilets unless there's a sink in the cubicle. Also, you're rather more in touch with your menstruation than the clinical shove up a tampon and try to forget about it option. But if you get over the 'gross' factor then mooncup is the best. Much cheaper as well.

ReputationRep:
    applicator ones always tend to be really thin and long,

try non app

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieArun)
    Eww at periods, disgusting & vile.
    You knew the topic of this thread from the title so why did you even bother?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by writergirl)
    oh you charmer
    but seriously, they're nasty things..you guys don't know how lucky you have it
    :confused: men do have periods you know, we piss blood out of our COCKENDS LOVE!

we just dont moan i guess....weaker sex and all,right ladies.

now call me a charmer too....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jataylorlfc)
    :confused: men do have periods you know, we piss blood out of our COCKENDS LOVE!

good grief thats just terrible. I expect you're going to claim you also have to give birth now??

and you could charm the birds from the trees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatexW)
    You knew the topic of this thread from the title so why did you even bother?
    Just expressing my thoughts, nothing wrong with that?

(Original post by writergirl)
    oh you charmer
    but seriously, they're nasty things..you guys don't know how lucky you have it
    We go bald super quickly. AND we have to shave DAILY. THAT's where the pain is at :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha I had no idea what a mooncup was until I googled it after reading it on here... and EW.
    It looks like a vagina funnel....
    I would agree with all the people that say use higher absorbency tampons mmhmm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jataylorlfc)

Are you sure you don't have a vagina and have some fat on the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieArun)
    Well i wouldn't mind looking at you having one, 'cause you're hot. But the rest of them = eww.
    Saying you'd like to watch a girl have her period = worst chat up line ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    We go bald super quickly. AND we have to shave DAILY. THAT's where the pain is at :hmmm:
    and the buggery before pe lessons that takes its toll.

boys will be boys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    fair do's, you get that point :yes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.