Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there anywhere online (or even in a store?) where I can get slightly cheaper MAC brushes? I don't wanna buy on eBay cos they may well be fake...and don't wanna risk that.
    I know obviously you get what you pay for, but wondered if there were any reputable sellers that you know of?? Even if it was a few quid cheaper that would help!

Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    ask somebody you know who's in the beauty/make up industry and uses MAC make up because my mum has a membership and gets 40% discount =)

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you're very wise not buying from Ebay - it's abound with fake MAC.

Some good places for cheap MAC brushes:

1) Buy from a Cosmetics Company Outlet Store. This is a discount cosmetics store that's actually owned by Estee Lauder (MAC's parent company) so all the MAC products sold there are genuine. There are a few dotted around the place, the only one I've been to here though is in Bicester Village (about 25 mins bus ride from Oxford).

2) A reputable online seller. Try All Cosmetics Wholesale (US-based, but will ship here) - (link). There are a few UK-based ones that I have heard are reputable but haven't tried myself, but it might be worth checking them out:
    Cocktail Cosmetics
    Love Makeup

3) Buy from the US using a mail forwarding service. I used to do this more often when the exchange rate was better, haven't done it in ages though as it's not as worth it as it used to be. Basically you buy online from a company that will take a non-US credit card (e.g. Nordstroms) and they ship your MAC to a company that will then forward on your parcel. It saves paying the exorbitant shipping fees that some companies charge, if they even ship outside the US at all. Usually not worthwhile unless you're buying a lot.

Regarding getting someone to use their MAC Pro discount as the previous poster suggested, that's one way to go, but a bit dishonest if you ask me, and they can have their Pro card revoked if they are found to be buying for others.

Also, if you're after cheap good quality brushes, I highly recommend ELF's Studio brushes (link) which just launched yesterday. I actually won some in advance of the launch and they really are very good quality (and the price is unbelievable - 3.50 per brush!!!). I've ordered the entire set for myself even though I already have a set of MAC brushes. There's a ton of reviews on Youtube if you're interested, mostly very positive.

Hope that helps :-)

ReputationRep:
    Wow thank you star_violet will look into what you've posted.

Also, slightly off topic, does anyone know which brush is better for liquid foundation, the 187 or the 190? because I have heard lots of good things about the 187...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    Wow thank you star_violet will look into what you've posted.

Also, slightly off topic, does anyone know which brush is better for liquid foundation, the 187 or the 190? because I have heard lots of good things about the 187...
    Hey, sorry, I only just saw your post...

They're both good, but different..

The 190 is your more "traditional" foundation brush. It has firm, synthetic bristles. It's a good brush, but the downsides are:
    1) For what you pay, it's really not any better than the foundation brushes you get from many other lines (I have the ELF Studio one for instance, and its good. I wouldn't compare it to the cheapie ones you get from Boots though, they're mostly not that good).
    2) The bristles are very firm so it can be a bit streaky.

Regarding the 187, I really like this brush as it's very versatile. Basically, since it has 2 lengths of fibres (white and black), it allows a very sheer application of almost any product (powder or liquid). If you use it with liquid foundation you get a lovely smooth almost "airbrushed" finish by buffing it in a circular motion. You can also use it with blushes that are very pigmented, as it allows you to apply just the barest hint of colour. I actually have 2 so I can use one for powder, 1 for liquid if I want.
    Downsides are: it's very expensive. There are cheaper versions (also known as Skunk brushes, Stippling brushes, or Duo Fibre brushes) but so far I haven't come across one that rivals the MAC version. If you want to look into it, Boots sell a version by Ruby & Millie, plus there's tons of online stores that sell knock-offs of varying quality (e.g. Coastal Scents).

Having said this.. I have and use both the 190 and 187. It's really up to you how much you want to spend and what you want out of it, as to which is better. Sorry that's not much of an answer, but I hope it helps all the same

ReputationRep:
    The only slightly cheaper place I would recommend is also the Cosmetics Company Outlet. There's one at Bicester Shopping Village.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_violet)
    Hey, sorry, I only just saw your post...

They're both good, but different..

The 190 is your more "traditional" foundation brush. It has firm, synthetic bristles. It's a good brush, but the downsides are:
    1) For what you pay, it's really not any better than the foundation brushes you get from many other lines (I have the ELF Studio one for instance, and its good. I wouldn't compare it to the cheapie ones you get from Boots though, they're mostly not that good).
    2) The bristles are very firm so it can be a bit streaky.

Regarding the 187, I really like this brush as it's very versatile. Basically, since it has 2 lengths of fibres (white and black), it allows a very sheer application of almost any product (powder or liquid). If you use it with liquid foundation you get a lovely smooth almost "airbrushed" finish by buffing it in a circular motion. You can also use it with blushes that are very pigmented, as it allows you to apply just the barest hint of colour. I actually have 2 so I can use one for powder, 1 for liquid if I want.
    Downsides are: it's very expensive. There are cheaper versions (also known as Skunk brushes, Stippling brushes, or Duo Fibre brushes) but so far I haven't come across one that rivals the MAC version. If you want to look into it, Boots sell a version by Ruby & Millie, plus there's tons of online stores that sell knock-offs of varying quality (e.g. Coastal Scents).

Having said this.. I have and use both the 190 and 187. It's really up to you how much you want to spend and what you want out of it, as to which is better. Sorry that's not much of an answer, but I hope it helps all the same
    I went and bought the 187 I love it for my liquid foundation, and considering how much I like it, I'm not too bothered I paid full price! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    I went and bought the 187 I love it for my liquid foundation, and considering how much I like it, I'm not too bothered I paid full price! Thank you!
    Great! I'm glad you like it! Enjoy

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.