Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What are the lecture rooms and laboratories like? I've heard because the buildings are so old, everything is really dated and just very dreary. Is this true? I have yet to visit UCL on an open day, will I get an opportunity to see them in their normal state...or is this hidden from prospective students?
    Also, is the main white building ever used by students for lectures?
    If anybody knows how the physics department is in particular, it'd be very helpful. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Dunno if you've seen this but to give you an idea:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/admission/acces...cture-theatre/

ReputationRep:
    Most lecture theatres have been refurbished, so there's no need to worry. There is one lecture theatre which is truly 'old world' in the Wilkins Building (the 'main white building'), called the Gustav Tuck Lecture Theatre. It has the atmosphere of a Harry Potter classroom (a good thing!). There are some buildings which could do with updating, but many (although they look old on the outside in some cases) have been completely refurbished inside.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the teaching labs are ok, probably the oldest equipment wise are organic chemistry and histology, out of the ones I've had practicals in. Still, they are ok and there is in most cases enough equipment not to have to queue for it. Lecture theaters and seminar rooms are mostly refurbished, the main library is old school, but really lovely and the science library is being refurbished this summer.
    (Original post by Genius12)
    old world' in the Wilkins Building (the 'main white building'), called the Gustav Tuck Lecture Theatre
    It reminds me of court trials in old films, still it's 'old world' enough to actually be used for filming, they were doing two days of shooting for some move there less than two weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pure_joy)
    Most of the teaching labs are ok, probably the oldest equipment wise are organic chemistry.
    Not any longer, organic chemistry lab has had a complete refurbishment and is now incredibly modern!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.