Turn on thread page Beta

HELP I have an inability to concentrate in winter (??) watch

ReputationRep:
    I put the question marks in cause I am not really sure, Ive only just kinda realised the pattern.

2 years ago I left the first college I started at becuase I just didnt do any work, I tried but I just couldnt think and I got frustrated like when I went to work I new I had to or else they would boot me, but when i tried I just couldnt and thought forget it, I gonna have to quit.

Then I went to a new college were they didnt really care much about homework etc I remember last year I couldnt think either, but I kinda forgot cause I did well on my June exams but totally messed up my Jan exams, I thought it was just becuase I was being lazy.

But now again, I am getting the same thing so many instances were I just cant think, sometimes I think its cause I am tired, othertimes I think its just cause I cant be assed but then when I try I just cant. Like my pure 2 coursework, thank god they gave examples of the excel spreadsheet codes or else I would have got no marks, I spent an hour just staring at it. My maths exam last july I got an E, in June I got an A. I just think maybe I am thick...

In chemistry yesterday for example, teacher asked me something really simple, I was listening only not taking any of it in but even if I didnt have a clue what he was going on about anyone could have answered the question, trivially simple. Sometimes though, its not too bad I can actually think, bah maybe I am just talkin BS.

But my mind isnt clear, sometimes I just sit and stare like a zombie braindead like my brain thinking channels are just blocked, or demolished I just cant be assed doing anything in winter, and totally cannot concentrate at ALL :-/

Anyone else get this, brain and body shutdown in winter lol?

ReputationRep:
    There is a type of depression that is related to winter, something to do with not enough light!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its called S.A.D which stands for seasonal something disorder, you can get treatment for it, putting light boxes in your house and things like that is meant to help. It's to do with the amount of natural sunlight you're exposed to which is obviously less in winter than in summer/ and the rest of the year. I did learn about it in Psychology but I've forgotten it (from a few weeks ago some memory I have lol). Not sure if it affects your concentration or not though, you'd have to research it more/ see your G.P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewJameson)
    But my mind isnt clear, sometimes I just sit and stare like a zombie braindead like my brain thinking channels are just blocked, or demolished I just cant be assed doing anything in winter, and totally cannot concentrate at ALL :-/
    I get this in the other three seasons too.

ReputationRep:
    I get it all the time. Best thing to do is to hibernate.

ReputationRep:
    i can only concentrate in winter!! ..................... i'm a bit wierd!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    Hello, Winter is the best time to learn/study/revise. Its cold so you want to stay in. Its nice and cold and not sweaty, so you can sit in one place for a long time. Exam rooms are much cooler as well. I do well in the winter then in the summer generally.

regards

ReputationRep:
    hmmm thanks for your replys, Ive looked into this and it would seem that there is a possibility... but even so prob mild.

I thought that everyone felt like that in winter, more depressed, more cant be assed syndrome, I just do anything that stops me from thinking about the big picture, about work, if I try to think organised I almost get a panicing feeling, but I remember summer everything was so clear I was miles more active and had loads more energy. But isnt that what its like for everyone??? Nobody can be bothered with anything in winter cause its cold dark and horrible.

ReputationRep:
    I can relate to some of the stuff you're saying, but I've always found when work really HAS to be done, I've been able to push through it and get the work done.

I can't say I understand what you're experiencing. Is it only with school work you have this problem? Or does this apply to watching T.V., getting up in the morning, eating, playing sport and other things as well? If it's general then it might be a real underlying problem. If it's very specific then it may just be conditioning.

ReputationRep:
    I am a long term sufferer of Seasonally Affective Disorder (S.A.D.) and its no joke. I could type for hours
    on the subject. It has been the cause
    of the biggest change in my life.

It started when I was 10, a pattern emerged that I would do less in the winter and more in the summer,
    in school, at home, with friends, everything.

It became a problem when exams started, SATs in yr9 and the GCSE years. English is my weakest field,
    hence why I'm doing A2 Maths, Phys and Chem. SATs english was the first sign of a serious problem, I got
    level 6-7 on everything, except english, level 4.

At GCSE it was the same, maths and sci Bs english D (I have retaked 4 times and hope to pass this
    summer, no seriously I do)

Lack of effort in my weaker subjects was all down to not working in the winter and being snowed under
    with a backlog during the summer, if I had known there was a disorder, and more to the point, treatment,
    I would have done so much better.

After GCSE I started Sixth Form, by November it was alarmingly obvious that I could not go on.
    Getting behind at AS is hard to recover from. By January I had quit and I was on fluoxetine (Prozac.)
    A local college was running a govt. funded course on IT support (50% practical work.) I jumped at it,
    this being May now, and got a place. During this one day a week course I worked in a few temporary
    jobs, whilst hunting for full time IT Support work. By August I had my dream job of an IT assistant.

After 12 months working there, I felt I could go no higher in the ladder and would not be able to earn
    enough to support myself, rent, bills, car etc. on my own. I took the big leap back into eduaction,
    feeling that was where God wanted me.

With the aid of a light box, a sunrise alarm clock and knowing about my condition, I can keep going. My advice, see your G.P. they are very good to talk to.

It's not easy, but its a lot easier than it was. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    suppose I could see the doctor, prob would think i am talking crap nah but maybe I could buy one of these light things, but then I'd think I was weird and that could make me worse lol. Finding it hard to view this from a decent perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Just simply explain the symtoms you are suffering from. You must not see your doctor as being someone who only deals with the physical. And your doctor cirtainly would not thing you are talking crap. It is not weird to have a light box. There is a website for the UK association http://www.sada.org.uk/index.htm and that explains in much more detail about it. Speak to somebody about it, GP or whoever, and remember that your doc is legally bound not tell anyone about anything you say. I don't think it can do any harm.

ReputationRep:
    i find it harder to concentrate in the summer, in lessons the heat makes me sleepy, and at home i just want to go out and experience the summer months while they are here. Winter is good because the cold keeps my brain more active and the dark days makes me stay in, this causes my moody "winter blues" but i do more work

ReputationRep:
    is there a disorder where you can work at night and in the early hours of the morning
    but not in the daytime
    i think im nocturnal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munkeh)
    I was on Amoxycillin (Prozac.)
    Amoxycillin is an antibiotic, not antidepressant.

But it's terrible what you suffer from, have you always been like that even when you were young? Or did it just develop?

Jo xx

ReputationRep:
    whoops, I was on that at another time. I meant to say fluoxetine, I've only ever had two prescription drugs and I get them mixed up

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose I only noticed it from about being 10 years old. But my mum says she has noticed it nearly all my life.

It really does get easier when you know what it is and why is happens, it's to do with ceratonin levels in the brain and although everybody's level goes down in winter some people's levels drop dramatically. There are an even smaller number of people who are completely the opposite, feeling good in winter and really bad in summer.

I don't think I'd be doing as well as I am without God's help, but it's not been easy and I still struggle most weeks.

It's nice to know people take it seriously Jo, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I have clinical depression now and that made me less able to do most things, especially at school. Thankfully it started just after my GCSE's. Though now I've just taken my first A/S level module which I messed up royally.

Now I've been on antidepressants a while it seems to have gotten better, but there are still times when I just look at the paper, or the teacher blankly.

Keep going with it, and seek help. Like the guys have said, it's better to go and see if there is anything to be done, before your education suffers.

Did you know? More people are on antidepressants in the UK than voted for pop idol.

Sarah
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    hey thats really wierd! i can only concentrate in winter too! like in the summer when we have our end of year exams i'm usually too distracted by something to even realise whats going on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_solitude)
    hey thats really wierd! i can only concentrate in winter too! like in the summer when we have our end of year exams i'm usually too distracted by something to even realise whats going on!
    Yep, same here. Something weird going on...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.