Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After reading some of the brief policy notes, I have to say I agree with what they are putting forward. After reading the BNP's policy on their website, I came to realise how cunning and ridiculous that party is and that Nick Griffins 'new' media persona is a typical façade to gain numbers.

What do people think of UKIP?

(However I am against this - UKIP* - We will support our armed forces with more spending on equipment, military homes and medical care. We will save our threatened warships and add 25,000 more troops.)

ReputationRep:
    They aren't perfect but seem to be a Brit's only option. It's a shame tey don't get votes at general elections where they might be able to make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Well meaning honest people at the bottom.
    Decent if slightly delusional people in the middle.
    Crooks and traitors at the top.

A slighter better option than lib/lab/con, but still weaker than BNP in my eyes.

I like UKIP ... but less than I did quite recently.

It's good that a party in the mainstream is so economically liberal. I would feel secure under a UKIP government when it comes to economics.

But I think their stance on immigration is too tough, a five year freeze on it? What about good skilled immigrants, why can't they come over? I know UKIP have black members and are not racist or anything - I don't think there is malice to their tough stance on immigration. But I do think it's wrong nonetheless and wouldn't better society.

And I just feel like there are too many daily mail readers who vote for them, rather than libertarians. For that reason they could never implement the social aspects of liberalism. I see them as a party that would take a tougher stance on drugs before reclassifying them favourably - they certainly would not decriminalise or legalise them outright. Not very libertarian for a party that uses that word to describe itself.

There are the right reasons and the wrong reasons to be a libertarian - because economic liberalism in the wrong hands happens to be a conveniantly profitable stance for those who are already quite wealthy. These people are not libertarians, they are just using that philosophy for self-interest. For me the real test is social policy, and do they have the balls to be consistently libertarian. UKIP fail that test ...

(Original post by Don_Scott)
    They aren't perfect but seem to be a Brit's only option. It's a shame tey don't get votes at general elections where they might be able to make a difference.
    12% of the vote in Norwich North. Ok they wont win an MP at the next GE, but maybe the one after that. Especially if the tories don't deliver, and people still haven't forgiven labour either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    Well meaning honest people at the bottom.
    Decent if slightly delusional people in the middle.
    Crooks and traitors at the top.

A slighter better option than lib/lab/con, but still weaker than BNP in my eyes.
    The BNP is backward and scary. I hope they never come to great power, or we are doomed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pro-EU and their flagship policy is their being anti-EU. I don't like them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    The BNP is backward and scary. I hope they never come to great power, or we are doomed.
    Care to elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    I don't like UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    i think they are harshly grouped with the BNP when really they is actually nothing wrong with them.

ReputationRep:
    As opposed to the arrogant, power hungry, ideologically crazed megalomaniacs we have in ruling over us right now - UKIP have genuine grass-roots convictions and care about the well-being of this country as a nation and want to preserve what is left of it.

ReputationRep:
    They are a bunch of crooks. How can a party that wants the UK to leave Europe have 12 MEPs all taking European money so they can leave use it to Europe? Basically, if they suceed in their objective, they will make themselves redundant. People who vote for them must have a serious mental deficient.

ReputationRep:
    They are a very right wing, one policy party. What else are they going to do once they take us out of Europe? Of course I understand they have other policies, but are they ones people are actually voting for?

I think they are basically a pressure group in the form of a political party ... maybe they should stay that way ...

(Original post by Maker)
    They are a bunch of crooks. How can a party that wants the UK to leave Europe have 12 MEPs all taking European money so they can leave use it to Europe? Basically, if they suceed in their objective, they will make themselves redundant. People who vote for them must have a serious mental deficient.
    There is a lot more to UKIP than leaving Europe, so even if they won power and left the EU, they would not be redundant - they have plans of what to do next.

(Original post by George5210)
    They are a very right wing, one policy party. What else are they going to do once they take us out of Europe? Of course I understand they have other policies, but are they ones people are actually voting for?

I think they are basically a pressure group in the form of a political party ... maybe they should stay that way ...
    They actually have some quite radically economic liberalism in their policies, you should go onto their website and actually read up on them and then come back and comment on whether you agree/disagree with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I forgot about that! They are indeed and we thought that our current government were bad! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    Care to elaborate?
    Most definitely.

(Original post by BNP)
    [SIZE=""]*Restoring capital punishment.

*End the liberal fixation with the “rights” of criminals and replace it with concern for the rights of victims - and the right of innocent people not to become victims

*The abolition of fees and the restoration of full grants to university students studying proper subjects (as opposed to fake “social sciences”)

*Investigate the feasibility of cutting-edge, intrinsically-safe, fast-breeder nuclear stations;

*Restore national service for our young with the option of civil or military service.

*Abolish “anti-discrimination” laws which prevent people from making a free choice

*Abolish the “Human Rights Act” which has been imposed on this country through the European Union, and which is nothing but an excuse to prevent British laws stopping the scroungers of the world parasiting off this nation;

*Abolish all restrictions on traditional free speech; common law provisions against incitement to violence are the only proper limits in a free society.
    [/SIZE]
    All of the above speaks for itself, and also going on the legacy of the party in years gone by, who would insight homosexuals (or 'aids monkeys') to change their ways, and keep themselves behind closed doors. And the obvious hatred of a culturally diverse nation. A spokesman for the BNP also called Aids a 'friendly disease', in killing 'blacks and homosexuals'.

I also question the source of funds for a never ending prison system, boosting endless numbers of beds and staff in hospitals and the copious amounts of benefits they aim to give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    You do realise that the UK pays money into the EU, enough to support the pay of all of our MEP's they arent taking anything from the EU that isnt due to Britain.
    Anti EU people shouldnt have a voice?

(Original post by 1721)
    i think they are harshly grouped with the BNP when really they is actually nothing wrong with them.
    Indeed, they are nothing like the BNP, their only simmilarity is the fact that they dont like the EU really.

ReputationRep:
    Don't like them, they wanted to get rid of the NHS and replace it with an insurance scheme, they took this policy off their website before the EU elections as they realised they could bag some former Labour voters, I think they'll put their healthcare plans back up before June 2010 but they'll dress it up in a cunning guise.

Don't like Farage either, he doesn't seem to have much respect for anyone other than himself.

Funny how when it comes to freedom of choice (anti discrimination laws) and also freedom of speech the BNP appear very liberal.

I wonder if that is a genuine aspect of their ideology, consistent with other beliefs of theirs, or whether it is a self-serving mockery of the concept of liberty. :rolleyes:

They would also tax their poor populace to absolute hell by supporting the nationalisation of pretty much everything, including industries - even after they start losing money, I don't exactly trust the BNP to keep up to date with it all and make smart decisions on when to admit that they've been wrong. So taxpayers money will just keeo pouring in to failing industries - plus the national servises like transport and NHS, plus welfare, plus huge state pensions.

How to fund this? Stop giving foreign aid? Pennies ... you need to get more money than that. The only way to do it is to tax everybody insane amounts, especially the richest in society - who are also the most mobile, they'll all leave the country and go to countries with low tax rates.

And I haven't even mentioned their disgraceful immigration policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Taking their salaries and allowances doesn't make them crooks. I voted UKIP and I support them in their aims, and I have no mental deficiencies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.