Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey!
    i've just finished year ten, and am starting to contemplate my a-level subject choices. i have no idea what i'll do in the future, career-wise at least, but am guessing i'll go down the creative route - i've always been most interested in english, history, and art.

on the other hand, i would probably be looking to go to a good university, probably to study english or history, and i know the whole 'soft subjects' thing is an issue - therefore, i'm hoping to choose

engish lit
    fine art
    history (medieval)
    french

as my option subjects - on the other hand (oh dear, this is getting to be a lot of hands ) i'm not really too hot at french, so would be hoping to drop that after AS level BUT i've been told you have to do it for two years - is this true?

if it is two years only, i'd need another subject to go for instead of french - possibly classical civilisation, religious studies, or philosophy... which do you think would be most suitable?

all help would be much appreciated, sorry this post is a bit confusing, and also incredibly looooooong XD

ReputationRep:
    Your choices look fine. I've no clue who told you that you have to do French for two years. You can drop any subject after an AS in one year if you want to [provided your school/college don't mind]. Personally, I'd go for philosophy/religious studies if I weren't doing French, but it's your choice.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    no you can drop french after one year if you want to,

my only point would be do normal history at a-level not a limited time period as i don't think after gcse you can know your favourite period, and doing a spread will give you a more rounded education.

also i didn't realise you could do a level medieval history (so sorry if i am missing something)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2^1/2)

my only point would be do normal history at a-level not a limited time period as i don't think after gcse you can know your favourite period, and doing a spread will give you a more rounded education.

also i didn't realise you could do a level medieval history (so sorry if i am missing something)
    this. If you can do just general history, I'd say go for that. But check out what universities want.

ReputationRep:
    why would you want to do a specific era in History? Didn't realise that was possible.

I don't really reccommend languages unless you have a passion for them tbh. They are hard work and without motivation it's a bloody nightmare. Doing subjects you love is so much better.

ReputationRep:
    Unless your school explicitly says you can't drop French then you can drop it at AS (although I see no reason for your school to demand you do AS and A2 French). Ask them about it.

(Original post by 2^1/2)

As far as I know there's History A-level and Ancient History A-level. Maybe the OP's 6th form/college does the normal A-Level History course but both the modules are from medieval periods, as for example I have heard of people doing both their sides of the history course on tudor-related topics.

ReputationRep:
    ah phew - i'll probably go for french then, i don't really trust the person who said you've gotta do french for two years anyway, so it's all good!
    and yeah, our school offers either modern history (nazi germany, ku klux klan, cold war etc) or medieval (wars of the roses, louis fourteenth etc) so that's what i was thinking
    thanks anyway everyone, i think i'll be doing some more research now

ReputationRep:
    I'm not hot at french either, but it's a bit of a laugh.

Languages are decent to take, well respected and rather enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OiaB)
    why would you want to do a specific era in History? Didn't realise that was possible.
    Yes, it's certainly possible. In fact, my school only offers 16th century history and 19th century history separately as the two A level history options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Yes, it's certainly possible. In fact, my school only offers 16th century history and 19th century history separately as the two A level history options.
    Well you learn something new every day, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OiaB)
    I don't really reccommend languages unless you have a passion for them tbh. They are hard work and without motivation it's a bloody nightmare. Doing subjects you love is so much better.
    Absolutely right. I chose Spanish just because I'd found it pretty easy at GCSE. I hated it the entire year and can't wait to drop it in September :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.