The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Zhara
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salters-Advanced-Chemistry-Chemical-Storylines/dp/0435631470

^ In this book I have they refer to activities, ie Activity EL1.1 and I have know idea where they are. There not the same as assignments are they?
I have the chemical ideas book too, no mention of it in there either.

Anyone else working through these books - what other resources are you using and how are you working through the storylines book?

I got past papers from here:
http://www.scribd.com/people/documents/11779415/folder/88644

OK, thats all. Thanks.

havent u finished all your A level exams
Thank God I am done with this ****** course!! :party:
Reply 3
^ not the most helpful of replies.

Asking for the exams that are taking place next January..
Reply 4
Zhara
^ not the most helpful of replies.

Asking for the exams that are taking place next January..

You're right, you haven't got very helpful replies.

The activities referred to come in a different booklet, which your teacher will photocopy for each person - or at least that is how it is done at all schools / colleges.

The OCR chemistry Salters course requires three resources, the Storylines book, Chemical Ideas and the activity booklet which is just in black and white and usually photocopied.

Can I ask why you are studying for exams next January over the summer? If you're going to be in school / college from September to Christmas, this is the time to relax! I certainly did as did most of my friends in the class who came out with full UMS, or very close to. Don't burn yourself out. :no:

Also, working through Storylines won't help much. That book is essential reading for background only, the chemical concepts are what you will be assessed on. :wink:
Reply 5
DJkG.1
You're right, you haven't got very helpful replies.

The activities referred to come in a different booklet, which your teacher will photocopy for each person - or at least that is how it is done at all schools / colleges.

The OCR chemistry Salters course requires three resources, the Storylines book, Chemical Ideas and the activity booklet which is just in black and white and usually photocopied.

Can I ask why you are studying for exams next January over the summer? If you're going to be in school / college from September to Christmas, this is the time to relax! I certainly did as did most of my friends in the class who came out with full UMS, or very close to. Don't burn yourself out. :no:

Also, working through Storylines won't help much. That book is essential reading for background only, the chemical concepts are what you will be assessed on. :wink:

I'm studying now as I want to complete A-Levels by June next year. OK, so theres no way of me getting hold of the activities now? In that case I should just concentrate on the Chemical Ideas book until I start college, where they will provide me with that anyway..

I'm guessing the storylines book is there for background info so when they throw out an unrelevant question it will be easier to answer. Also, the past papers are so limited! I might look at the old spec past papers/ other practice questions online. Thanks for replying.
Reply 6
i (and majority of my class) hardly used my storylines the entire year don't think it had any significant affect on my results
Reply 7
Zhara
I'm studying now as I want to complete A-Levels by June next year. OK, so theres no way of me getting hold of the activities now? In that case I should just concentrate on the Chemical Ideas book until I start college, where they will provide me with that anyway..

I'm guessing the storylines book is there for background info so when they throw out an unrelevant question it will be easier to answer. Also, the past papers are so limited! I might look at the old spec past papers/ other practice questions online. Thanks for replying.

You could get hold of the activities but I think you'd have to buy the activity booklet from the publisher, which is expensive and rather pointless too.

I didn't fully understand... do you have the Ideas book? If so, use that - just read through the AS topics and maybe try the questions at the end. You're 100% right about the Storylines book, it's great contextual knowledge but it comes second to the actual chemical concepts.

Best of luck!
Reply 8
Yeah, the activities will all be in a little paper booklet for each module.

I know storylines doesn't seem that important but it does make a big difference in exams. There are parts of the course that don't come up in ideas but are on the exam paper and are covered in detail in storylines. For example basic oxygen steelmaking in one of the A2 topics. Don't be fooled into not giving storylines enough attention like some people that were in my chem class and learned the hard way having to resit their AS modules again because they hadn't learn half the course content!
Reply 9
Storylines is important, don't think its not! There are questions (sometimes 5 markers) on a storylines concept alone so you should make sure you know the stuff. The activity sheets? They aren't very helpful and most of it is composed of experiments which you won't be able to carry out at home anyway. If I find them, I could photocopy the useful ones for you?
Reply 10
^ Yes, that would be of great benefit. About the experiments, isnt it important that I familiarise myself with them - is that for the 20% practical part?

So, in terms of the Chemical storylines, wouldnt that mean I need to actually learn all of it, much like you have to in Biology?

I have both ideas and storylines. Thanks so much for all the help.
Zhara
^ Yes, that would be of great benefit. About the experiments, isnt it important that I familiarise myself with them - is that for the 20% practical part?

So, in terms of the Chemical storylines, wouldnt that mean I need to actually learn all of it, much like you have to in Biology?

Sure, I'll get them photocopied up and message them to you. The main part is titrations which are very easy... You'll do them several tiems throughout the year. I'll photocopy the sheet my teacher gave us about them to if you want.

Yes, don't get too into it though and get stressed over it but if you know it, its a good grounding for the module. Its supposed to make it more interesting. :rolleyes:

I used the official revision book which goes with the storylines and ideas (a godsend by the way) it deals with the modules in a concise manner. You don't need it but I found it really helpful.
Zhara

Not really, the experiments sheets are generally to demonstrate/test a part of the theory side, of course you get practical experience as well. Chemical ideas has a few pages on key practical techniques which will cover the understanding part of the practical, the rest is practise.

Chemical storylines is the book you follow as you progress through the course, using chemical ideas to understand the actual chemistry. I'd say 90% of content is understanding CI, and 10% storylines...
Reply 13
Thanks for all the help & advice!

HighSkies
Sure, I'll get them photocopied up and message them to you. The main part is titrations which are very easy... You'll do them several tiems throughout the year. I'll photocopy the sheet my teacher gave us about them to if you want.

Yes, don't get too into it though and get stressed over it but if you know it, its a good grounding for the module. Its supposed to make it more interesting. :rolleyes:

I used the official revision book which goes with the storylines and ideas (a godsend by the way) it deals with the modules in a concise manner. You don't need it but I found it really helpful.

^ Thanks soo much for scanning those in for me. :biggrin:
Zhara
Thanks for all the help & advice!

^ Thanks soo much for scanning those in for me. :biggrin:

Nooooo problem, any rep would be appreciated. :p: (It took some time ya know! *shot*)

Latest