Turn on thread page Beta

How much exercise should I really be doing? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have stayed at this weight for a while, so I guess that I'm eating a good amount for me, but I've just started riding my bike to work. This is because of a lack of cash (so don't start recommending me doing weights or going to the gym because I really cannot afford it!).

Anyway it's a 30 minute ride, a few ups and downs and a bit of a rough terrainy bit. I'm seriously unfit so I decided to leave my bike and nab a lift, get bus in tomorrow and 30 minutes home. After I get a bit fitter I will try and do the whole hour.

Anyway I work (on my feet, quite tiring!) anywhere between 3 and 5 days a week. Is this enough, or should I try and ride my bike on my days off too? How long for? Would you suggest 1 hour, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 30 minutes alternating days? Should I try and scav enough money to go swimming as well?

ReputationRep:
    Swimming is decent but I believe that long distance cycling tends to burn fat/increase muscle power a lot more effectively.

Cycling 1 hour+ regularly should get you fairly fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    Swimming is decent but I believe that long distance cycling tends to burn fat/increase muscle power a lot more effectively.

Is 4-5 miles long distance? Does it have to be 1 hour in one go or is 30 minutes twice a day (with what I feel is constant exercise in between...) good enough?

Is 3-5 times a week regularly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Is 4-5 miles long distance? Does it have to be 1 hour in one go or is 30 minutes twice a day (with what I feel is constant exercise in between...) good enough?

Is 3-5 times a week regularly?
    4-5 miles isn't bad, but it depends on the terrain and whether you're going uphill/downhill or flat out.

If you want to build up your stamina I would either gradually increase the distance you cycle over a period of time or start cycling more frequently for the same distance.

3-5 times a week is enough for 4-5 miles, but you may feel after a while that doing that amount is no longer physically challenging. It all depends on your goals really and how fit you want to be.

ReputationRep:

Long distance cycling won't build muscle effectively at all - no endurance sports do. Power is developed through resistance training and exercise done in short, intense bursts (eg. 10x200m sprints, not a 5k run).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Long distance cycling won't build muscle effectively at all - no endurance sports do. Power is developed through resistance training and exercise done in short, intense bursts (eg. 10x200m sprints, not a 5k run).
    I kinda meant in comparison to swimming, but I get your point.

ReputationRep:
    4-5 miles isn't bad, but it depends on the terrain and whether you're going uphill/downhill or flat out.

If you want to build up your stamina I would either gradually increase the distance you cycle over a period of time or start cycling more frequently for the same distance.

3-5 times a week is enough for 4-5 miles, but you may feel after a while that doing that amount is no longer physically challenging. It all depends on your goals really and how fit you want to be.
    I don't really want/need to become incredibly fit, but I will obviously have to see how I feel in a few weeks and try and adjust my route if I feel I can be doing more?
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I'm not really up for building muscle though, I just want to burn a bit of fat and perhaps be able to eat a bit more.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.