Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much exercise should I really be doing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have stayed at this weight for a while, so I guess that I'm eating a good amount for me, but I've just started riding my bike to work. This is because of a lack of cash (so don't start recommending me doing weights or going to the gym because I really cannot afford it!).

Anyway it's a 30 minute ride, a few ups and downs and a bit of a rough terrainy bit. I'm seriously unfit so I decided to leave my bike and nab a lift, get bus in tomorrow and 30 minutes home. After I get a bit fitter I will try and do the whole hour.

Anyway I work (on my feet, quite tiring!) anywhere between 3 and 5 days a week. Is this enough, or should I try and ride my bike on my days off too? How long for? Would you suggest 1 hour, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 30 minutes alternating days? Should I try and scav enough money to go swimming as well?

ReputationRep:
    Swimming is decent but I believe that long distance cycling tends to burn fat/increase muscle power a lot more effectively.

Cycling 1 hour+ regularly should get you fairly fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    Swimming is decent but I believe that long distance cycling tends to burn fat/increase muscle power a lot more effectively.

Is 4-5 miles long distance? Does it have to be 1 hour in one go or is 30 minutes twice a day (with what I feel is constant exercise in between...) good enough?

Is 3-5 times a week regularly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Is 4-5 miles long distance? Does it have to be 1 hour in one go or is 30 minutes twice a day (with what I feel is constant exercise in between...) good enough?

Is 3-5 times a week regularly?
    4-5 miles isn't bad, but it depends on the terrain and whether you're going uphill/downhill or flat out.

If you want to build up your stamina I would either gradually increase the distance you cycle over a period of time or start cycling more frequently for the same distance.

3-5 times a week is enough for 4-5 miles, but you may feel after a while that doing that amount is no longer physically challenging. It all depends on your goals really and how fit you want to be.

ReputationRep:

Long distance cycling won't build muscle effectively at all - no endurance sports do. Power is developed through resistance training and exercise done in short, intense bursts (eg. 10x200m sprints, not a 5k run).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Long distance cycling won't build muscle effectively at all - no endurance sports do. Power is developed through resistance training and exercise done in short, intense bursts (eg. 10x200m sprints, not a 5k run).
    I kinda meant in comparison to swimming, but I get your point.

ReputationRep:
    4-5 miles isn't bad, but it depends on the terrain and whether you're going uphill/downhill or flat out.

If you want to build up your stamina I would either gradually increase the distance you cycle over a period of time or start cycling more frequently for the same distance.

3-5 times a week is enough for 4-5 miles, but you may feel after a while that doing that amount is no longer physically challenging. It all depends on your goals really and how fit you want to be.
    I don't really want/need to become incredibly fit, but I will obviously have to see how I feel in a few weeks and try and adjust my route if I feel I can be doing more?
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I'm not really up for building muscle though, I just want to burn a bit of fat and perhaps be able to eat a bit more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.