Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello for all those intrested click here for the freshers fortnight events guide http://subu.org.uk/files/minisites/4...ofspreads5.pdf it looks pretty sweet. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Wow pretty jam packed! I'm looking forward to it however it's become a bit daunting how soon it all is!

ReputationRep:
    yeah looks pretty good! Thats just the uni stuff as well I'm sure there will be loads of other nights at other bars and clubs those two weeks. Haha It couldn't be sooner for me.

ReputationRep:
    looks great!..one thing tho..when it says welcome meeting and town tours and stuff it hasnt got a single mention of hurn house..whats the deal?

ReputationRep:
    One more thing on the post above aswell, that welcome meeting and stuff on the 19th of September, is that for ALL students, not just international students?

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling its just for international student but don't quote me on that.

ReputationRep:
    It's colour coded isn't it? Some of it is just for the international students but not all I don't think?

ReputationRep:
    Well it is colour coded but i just didnt think the international students and british students would arrive the same time, i always thought international students were a few days before just to settle in to a completely new environment.

Theres nothing else in the days following about a welcome so im assuming us british students do have to be there by the 18th or 19th

ReputationRep:
    example!
    freshers fortnight looks incredible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisNameNowTaken)
    Well it is colour coded but i just didnt think the international students and british students would arrive the same time, i always thought international students were a few days before just to settle in to a completely new environment.

Theres nothing else in the days following about a welcome so im assuming us british students do have to be there by the 18th or 19th
    I thought that we were supposed to arrive the weekend of 19th and 20th onwards. My Parents are taking me up on Sunday 20th, is this too late then? Its just my dad had to take a day off work especially...

And is anyone planning on buying a black band?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer_Lovin)
    I thought that we were supposed to arrive the weekend of 19th and 20th onwards. My Parents are taking me up on Sunday 20th, is this too late then? Its just my dad had to take a day off work especially...

as i said, im just assuming, i dont know for sure...but if you check out the PDF in the OP it mentions something about a welcome on the 19th September (first day of that freshers pack) and the time isnt highlighted for international students so my best guess would be that welcome is for UK students, in which case we have to atleast be there on the 19th

ReputationRep:
    shoot, I'm at a festival on the 19th,
    so I can't be there til the 20th, do you think that will be a problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tash...)
    shoot, I'm at a festival on the 19th,
    so I can't be there til the 20th, do you think that will be a problem?
    i don't think it'd be a problem, i hope not since i am considering going on the 21st... (as my mate is coming over from Hong Kong and haven't seen him for a few years).

i think freshers is more to get people relaxed and eased in to university life, for a lot of people this'll be the first time they've lived away from home, add that to the stress of being in a new atmosphere where you know nobody else... it's a lot to take on board especially if you have to have lectures as well. So i think freshers is more about alowing you time to adjust, and i doubt it's compulsary.

ReputationRep:
    nah i dont think it matters if u come a bit later. obviously its better if you do go but for the first 2 weeks you'll hardly remember anyone's name and spend eveyr second of the day either drunk or bewildered about leaving home and out in the big bad world

it's all good tho. ur gona love bournemouth. ive just graduated from my undergrad and coming back for my masters in producing film and television! havent been told when to officially come though so we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    ok, I want to go to freshers, I'm just at festival the first day..which I'm getting vip for, don't really want to waste that!

the 19th and 20th appear to have the same layouts on days, so is it not possible there are two inductory days?

ReputationRep:
    ok, I want to go to freshers, I'm just at festival the first day..which I'm getting vip for, don't really want to waste that!

the 19th and 20th appear to have the same layouts on days, so is it not possible there are two inductory days?
    Hmm yeh they are pretty similar apart from on the 19th it has an 'arrivals welcome' in the evening.
    I'm wondering how important these welcome meetings are? Do we get our timetables or something? Or is it just general information?
    Anyway i'm sure there will be many others arrving 20th onwards aswell

What festival you going to btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer_Lovin)

Yeah thats exactly the same for me. I thought it was the 20th too. Thats what it said on the Bournemouth website anyway. I will probs get the free band which ever colour that is. Don't want to commit myself to just the student union for freshers week as I'm sure there will be loads of other freshers nights in different bars and clubs around bournemouth for those two weeks.

ReputationRep:
    So we have to be there between the 18th and 20th? Are those the dates we're moving in then? I've not heard anything about move in dates yet

Edit: I just found this on the accommodation part of the Bournemouth website: "For most programmes, the start of term is 1 October, however you can arrive from 21 September if you are staying in University managed accommodation."

I'm staying in Cranborne house so does that mean I can't arrive until the 21st?

Ahhh I'm so confused!

ReputationRep:
    i'm confused now too!

but if there are welcome days before the 21st and you can't move in til the 21st that wouldn't make sense!

I may get a black band is it worth it?

I'm going to Southsea Fest, it's in Portsmouth.

ReputationRep:
    i'm confused now too!

but if there are welcome days before the 21st and you can't move in til the 21st that wouldn't make sense!

I may get a black band is it worth it?

I'm going to Southsea Fest, it's in Portsmouth.
    Yeh its seems Bournemouth aren't very clear on this sort of thing. Oh well i am just gonna arrive on the 20th and see what happens!

Well the black band is £20 and most of the events are around £3 with just the red band (which is free) so unless you go to most or all of the events listed it doesn't seem worth it... apart from the fact that the black banders' get priority entry lol

Oh thats cool, i'm going to Reading Festival at the end of this month, can't wait

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.