Turn on thread page Beta

People that've been in (or are in) a gay relationship watch

(Original post by Ataloss)
    I almost agree with you but I personally feel there a few flaws in your argument.

Your argument, almost subconsciously, conforms to this ideology of a "gay community". This theory that has come to pass somehow that by being gay you will invariably hold something more in common with other gay people than simply being attracted to those of the same sex. I find this a flawed concept - there are many gay people I have nothing in common with at all.

I agree with you in that I find it upsetting that some people live to be gay and believe that in itself that means they are outcast from making a useful contribution to society. I agree being gay is not in itself a defining characteristic. Clearly this isn't the case and is still a blight from which a small number of gay people suffer.

As for iffeminate gays - it isn't for me but as long as they are happy and not harming anybody - who cares?
    It must be very subconcious, for I do not see it at all. It does, as far as I can see, argue against the existence of a 'gay community' and a 'homosexual identity'. I understand your argument - however I do not see how it applies to what I have said. I fundamentally agree with you. I do not believe that there ought to be a 'gay community'. I do not believe there is anything more than homosexuality that homosexuals have in common. But it would be unrealistic to say there isn't an expectation from society as to what a homosexual should be. It would be unrealistic to say there isn't a very large group of people who have taken this image, cast aside what they are and taken this idea as a 'new personality.' It would be unrealistic to say that these people have not tried to create this 'community', and that many think it is a subculture worth preserving.

I, as you, fundamentally disagree with this notion. But there is a group of people who, whether rightly or (in my view) wrongly, have tried to conform to this common idea of what a homosexual is and what he does. I reject this, but I do acknowledge the existence of this sentiment.

In other words, how do I acknowledge this theory of 'more than just sexuality' as commonality amongst homosexuals? I offer it as explanation as to why these people abandon their identities, not as a truth. They misguidedly believe in this concept, as does a large part of the wider society. I do not.

Can we also please stop referring to overtly feminine homosexuals as iffeminate? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onion Terror)
    :o:

Anyway yeah I don't want to be too harsh on Gaydar and offend everyone who uses it (I obviously used to use it myself) but I swear I hate it... you're best off going to a gay club or something and meeting somewhere there.

Some of the pictures on Gaydar... they are wrong. So wrong.

I've seen dead people naked old people. :dong:

Spoiler:
    Show
    :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    Let's not tell him about the LGBT Chat initiation. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Man, it's shocking. On that site it's customary to greet yourself by message with a picture of your crotch. When you get greeted by 50 year olds it makes you want to barf. 'Hey, here's what my crotch looks like! How are you, btw?'.
    (Robbo has attached some private photos.)

Yer I'm not too bad. Nice crotch

haha so wrong. It's funny though when you find someone you know on there who you didin't even know was gay. And when they have crotch photos it is even worse. :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Haha... well if it's a fit lad then I quite like it blatantly.
    Save picture to > My Documents

ReputationRep:
    Too true. :yes:
    Are you from Japan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nugax)
    It must be very subconcious, for I do not see it at all. It does, as far as I can see, argue against the existence of a 'gay community' and a 'homosexual identity'.
    I didn't mean that as a criticism or to cause offence. I just thought this phrase "not only does it make my life significantly and unnecessarily more complicated, it is merely to accommodate these people not being themselves" suggests that you felt the actions of other people who simply happen to also be gay reflects upon you as an individual. This definitely shoulden't be the case and I am not convinced it is.

ReputationRep:
    Nahh lol.. Cheshire. Just like Japan so I got the flag up there. I think I'll change it actually.
    I thought not. For a moment I thought you were one of those really camp japanese anime kids. :o:

And then i realised you said you were straight acting (I do hate using this term), so I was thinking that goes against every stereotype humanly possible.

Cheshire though...

heh! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oi what's bad about Cheshire!

Oh and no I'm definitely not an otaku. I hate anime, but I do love Japan. And no I'm not camp. :cool:
    I heard this evil cat lives there.

http://images0.funadvice.com/photo/i...hire_cat_1.jpg

I'm sure it is a lovely place.

ReputationRep:
    gay people freak me out, once a gay guy touched my leg i beat the crap outta him gays shouldnt exist

ReputationRep:
    Gavin Henson's a prick. Sweden's where its at.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly we're never going to agree on anything here...
    Alexander Skarsgard > Gavin Henson.
    This is my reasoning for why Sweden, and Scandinavia in general is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly we're never going to agree on anything here...
    If only he had a different face, i'd jump that.

http://blogs.sundaymercury.net/offsi...aka%20tart.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I went on gaydar - I was a bit shocked when I saw the stuff they ask you (**** size, etc etc etc)! Most of the people around my area seem to be in it for the sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Usar)
    I went on gaydar - I was a bit shocked when I saw the stuff they ask you (**** size, etc etc etc)! Most of the people around my area seem to be in it for the sex.
    Didn't you know that your **** is practically a fashion accessory in the gay world...

I'm not gay (am a girl) but i have a gay manager. Him and his bf are gorgeous guys!! They defo get my blessing if they ever going to get married!

Just out of curiousity, do u guys think Gok wan's love-able or hate-able? I can see some annoying gays and acceptable gays. I remember seeing a chinese guy walking like a super moble (one hand in pocket + a massive hand bad on the other arm + green trousers, massive sun glasses + cat walking) in a shopping mall. He DID get a lot of attention...

Anon cus i want to keep my manager's privacy.

ReputationRep:
    Gok Wan = Satan
    This, I hate Gok Wan with a passion.

ReputationRep:
    This is true.
    It's lucky I'm blessed.

ReputationRep:
    Are you now? :drool:
    Secret

ReputationRep:
    Dude...
    Raises hopes and dashes them expertly, sir.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.