ReputationRep:
    Mwhahahaa! :hubba:

:happy2:

ReputationRep:
    I know. This thread is ruined for all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    I know. This thread is ruined for all.
    Well, that's entirely a matter of opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    Well, that's entirely a matter of opinion.
    Oohh I'm intrigued

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onion Terror)
    Thanks, whoever gave me pos rep.

No so many thanks to whoever gave me neg rep 'for using fail as a noun'. :rolleyes: They said '(I neg rep people who use this word as a noun)'. Surely using 'neg rep' as a verb is just as vulgar, if not more so?
    Awesome

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:
    :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    You're just being nasty now lol
    This thread is such a spin out. Seriously. I'm so confused lol

ReputationRep:
    Same, this page is just w/e...

I think we should just abandon now lol
    -Abandons-

It was fun while it lasted :wink2:

(Original post by Ataloss)
    I didn't mean that as a criticism or to cause offence. I just thought this phrase "not only does it make my life significantly and unnecessarily more complicated, it is merely to accommodate these people not being themselves" suggests that you felt the actions of other people who simply happen to also be gay reflects upon you as an individual. This definitely shoulden't be the case and I am not convinced it is.
    Offence? No way. If someone finds flaws in my argument I am pleased - I get to reexamine my reasoning and perhaps I'll have to change my opinion. My apologies if I seem harsh, I merely love to argue and do it quite rigorously. No offence taken at all.

That being said - I do not think that you have managed to find any flaws. If you make a statement like that, do it with the knowledge that you are going to have to defend your reasoning.

These actions do not reflect on me as an individual. They reflect on the predominant expectation of how a significant part of society expects me to behave. The phrase says people who behave not according to their own personality but according to social expectations make my life significantly and unnecessarily more complicated, and only because they leave behind their identities and start twisting themselves into a cringeworthy stereotype.

They make my life more difficult because they reinforce the view that gay people necessarily have more in common than their sexual preference. It should not be the case, but jesus christ, the times that it has filtered through somewhere and I have been approached by some bimbo - whose name I don't even know - proposing to go shopping/watch a dumb chick-flick/take her to a gay bar are numerous. I am quick to point out that I have a penis and therefore have no interest in any of those things, but this sort of attitude manifests itself in more subtle way which prove more difficult to deal with.

I am naturally unaware of your personal experiences, but to say that stupidly stereotypical behaviour does not affect my life is sadly not true.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

I'm new to this site but seeing as I spend a fair amount of time reading I thought I'd sign up so I could join in

I met my girlfriend more than a decade ago, during my placement year (third year of my degree), as we worked in the same place. I had no idea she was gay when I saw her, only that she was gorgeous and I fancied her rotten! Sadly we were both in relationships at that time so nothing happened...until just over two years ago when we got back in touch due to the magic of Facebook Cue falling in love and being together since.

We're both cautiously confident in social situations; but then again many of our friends are gay too. Both of us are out at work and luckily have had no problems. It's taken me a good few years of good and bad relationships to get here, but now things are awesome.

While I'm writing, I wanted to address the giving blood issue. I'm not expressing any opinion, only wanting to say that it's not only gay men that can't give blood - as others have said it's anyone in an 'at-risk' group. As someone who lives with an autoimmune condition, I can't give blood either. So although it may seem harsh, I guess it's to safeguard donors and recipients during the whole process.

Sorry for the essay! Hope some of it was of interest :o:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.