Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thread for people who don't like snobby people who put down Art's degree's!!! watch

(Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    :jiggy:

This whole debate is pathetic really unless you're going to take individual subjects into account. I'm pretty sure all bachelors degree awarded by Oxbridge are BAs. The people here who think science degrees will always be more financially rewarding are totally naive and immature. Earning a three figure salary takes a lot more than receiving a degree. That's just one of many stepping stones into the top-end of the working world.
    That doesn't mean the degree per se is a BA. Sciences at Oxbridge are only called BAs for the sake of tradition; nothing more, nothing less. However the content for the sciences at Oxbridge *are* BSc (etc) material.

E.g. BA Maths at Cambridge is a BA in title, but BSc in content.

ReputationRep:
    People who say that are just jealous because they took boring degrees Ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catoutofthebag)
    All you science and maths people, I would love for you to experience what the world would be like without any art, film, literature etc. Yes, you might be able to invent a television for example, and all the filming equipment to make a TV show, but oh my gosh look at that, no scripts, no sets, no costumes. All you can do with this marvellous invention is broadcast news ... How much fun.
    You see, this is the reason why many students of the sciences hate artists. You assume that we are incapable of nothing other than science or maths. There are hundreds of scientists in the televisual arts writing scripts, making sets, etc. Edward Elgar was a chemist as well as a composer.
    However, the most annoying thing is the complete supposition that all science creates is technology that is devoid of soul and that art is somehow required to create beauty in that technology. Science is just as much a human endeavour as composing music of painting pictures and scientists are just as human as musicians and artists. Science can be fun too.

Personally I see it as a great privilege that my education allows me to see the humanity and beauty in science as well as the arts. I think it is a great shame that so many people close their minds to science at such an early age.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Navras)
    It's usually snobby people that have the money to afford doing an Arts degree. I need to do something that leads onto a high-earning career. You ******s can do your english literature and fine art because Daddy's bank is gunna bail you out when you realise nobody is gunna employ you.

If you're doing an Arts degree, from a mediocre uni, and you're family is poor. You're ****** imo.

And I have a neg-shield, so don't even bother.
    You whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?! :eek:

I'm here on a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge bursary :yes: No Daddy's bank for me :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    You whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?! :eek:

I'm here on a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge bursary :yes: No Daddy's bank for me :nah:
    Me too, wonderful isn't it?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.