The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dont mean to sound rude... but doing an art degree to me is pretty pointless...you will waste over 10,000 in student fees then inbetween £10k - £20k on living expenses if u live away from home... this 30k you will never get back from doing an art degree...so my advice is....if you love art...stay in ur room with a canvas and go crazy :smile: x
Reply 41
Hamnewcastle
I dont mean to sound rude... but doing an art degree to me is pretty pointless...you will waste over 10,000 in student fees then inbetween £10k - £20k on living expenses if u live away from home... this 30k you will never get back from doing an art degree...so my advice is....if you love art...stay in ur room with a canvas and go crazy :smile: x

i plan to get a job in graphic design or advertising in london which are very well paid, then maybe set up my own advertising agency, also own a few shops, expand my business empire....
i'm aiming high!
but my graphic design degree will hopefully get me that job in london, the first step!
i think i can pay it back!
if i fail i will be a hippy and they can write off my loan when im old and poor!
Reply 42
Not everyone is good at/enjoys science/maths etc, but should they not be allowed to study what they love to a higher level because of that?
Saying that, I personally wouldn't spend money on degrees like "performing arts" but I don't have anything against them.

Depends what you mean by "arts", but I hope to study languages and that's classed as an "arts" degree, yet language graduates are the 2nd least unemployed, after medicine and vetinary science graduates.
So they can't be a complete waste of time?
Hamnewcastle

Another one blinded by fortune.
I want to be a graphic designer, i want to learn the skills and critical thinking to become a graphic designer. Im not doing it for the money, im doing it because i love it, and dont want to be doing anything else.

Im loving this debate *subs*
:woo:
Art has a great impact on society, but it's a touch business, very competitive and less guaranteed as a career point of view

nonetheless, i have used my GCSE's on the arts and (if i get in) a-levels because i would prefer doing something i enjoy, if it kicks me in the arse in the future so be it :p: squatting for me!
Simplicity
I used to do art but now I do mathematics. Let me just say that maths is so much more beautiful and meaningful than art will ever be. Richard Feynman has a point about art only looks at the flower from an aesthetic point of view. However, if your a scientist you can look at colours and think about spectrum of light or maybe flower reproduces. For example, you would know that flowers use ultraviolet light.

I don't know since the dawn of so called social sciences I don't see the point of art. Art seems so shallow now.

You find maths boring because you have no vision. See if you wanted to play a musical instrument but was only given the scales and you couldn't hear any music then you could wrongly accuse music of being boring. See the language of nature is maths. Although, yeah maths gets interested the higher up you go for example if you study some linear algebra and group theory it gets really interesting. Plus, in uni stuff you will cover stuff like objects in higher dimensions. So yeah, you get to think about stuff like infinity or QM.

Well I certainly wouldn't say linear algebra and group theory are that riveting! It's all about knot theory and topology, which admittedly do use groups I suppose! Also variational calculus is pretty fun.
Reply 46
I really don't see the point of Art/Drama degrees. Most actors and or/artists (in the traditional sense) don't have degree's in those specific fields, IMO Drama/Art is one of those vocational subjects where you're either good at it or you're not, and doing a degree won't make a difference and a lot of it you can learn from classes, saving yourself from masses of debt at the same time. I probably look at this from a very blinded view though, as I tend to think that all Art degree's are just playing with finger painting and producing pieces of crap like sharks in a blue box and a messy bedroom, that seems to be deemed 'modern art' now.

*Prepares for barrage of abuse*
Well some degrees are a bit of a waste of money frankly. I think this whole idea of 50% of people going to university is just crazy! People should be getting apprenticeships rather than degrees in David Beckham studies. You've got to laugh at all the people who turn up in local newspapers with 2.2's in doss subjects. It seems like a waste of 3 years, but of course they went there to party I suppose so it doesn't really matter what they study.
Reply 48
jenny28
I got fed up with everyone making out as if Art's degrees are worth nothing! Would it be better to spend money on doing a degree that we don't enjoy!! The fact is that a lot of jobs such as Graphic Designers and especially things like Architecture you need a degree for, so we want to go to university and get a degree. If you enjoy Law and so you want to go to Cambridge to do Law to be a lawyer then why shouldn't we enjoy an Art's subject and go to a university that offers a lot of good art's courses to get a good job that we will enjoy! What also annoys me is when people say to me, oh you got an A* at GCSE Maths and are predicted A at A Level so why don't you do a Maths degree. Maybe because i would find that boring?! Anyway this isn't to offend people doing my example of Law at Cambridge if that's what they want to do I'm just fed up with being looked down upon! Rant over :p:

Why would anyone want to do an arts degree?
It isn't worth the time...
Reply 49
Simplicity
I used to do art but now I do mathematics. Let me just say that maths is so much more beautiful and meaningful than art will ever be. Richard Feynman has a point about art only looks at the flower from an aesthetic point of view. However, if your a scientist you can look at colours and think about spectrum of light or maybe flower reproduces. For example, you would know that flowers use ultraviolet light.

I don't know since the dawn of so called social sciences I don't see the point of art. Art seems so shallow now.

You find maths boring because you have no vision. See if you wanted to play a musical instrument but was only given the scales and you couldn't hear any music then you could wrongly accuse music of being boring. See the language of nature is maths. Although, yeah maths gets interested the higher up you go for example if you study some linear algebra and group theory it gets really interesting. Plus, in uni stuff you will cover stuff like objects in higher dimensions. So yeah, you get to think about stuff like infinity or QM.

i don't really find maths that boring really, not now, i just don't think i could stand doing just maths and not being able to go to my art lessons afterwards!
I really didnt mean to sound rude or anything this is just my view on things i understand that some ppl might be annoyed by it..obviously the OP wanted views etc else they wouldnt have posted a thread lol!

I don't mean languages i mena things such as performing arts etc....because you dont even need a degree to go into the jobs you can get with those degrees. I mean i could become an actor if i was good at it, had the right training, interested! i dont need a degree in PA to get the job...where as academic subjects such as medicine etc you cant get the job without the degree so you may aswell put ur time, effort, money into doing something that can get you a good job...and do ur acting or whatever on the side and if it does all go down the pot...you have a good degree to fall back on.

x
Simplicity

I am glad that you find mathematics so deeply interesting. No, really, I am. But honestly, 'you find maths boring because you have no vision'? Do you understand how insulting (and incorrect) that is? There are plenty of subjects that are loved by those who study them as much as you love maths, and have vision of equal worth.

I am not brilliant at mathematics. I am not poor - I took my GCSE early - but not brilliant either. But I like to think I have vision on several topics, such as the nature of historical study, various philosophical matters, etc. The difference between me and you here is that I don't pretend my interests have a monopoly on this.
Ars Ludicra
Well, I'm Grammar and I'd like my apostrophes back. :rolleyes:

LMAO
hell...screw that...you dont even have to be good...has anyone seen eastenders lmao?
jenny28
i don't really find maths that boring really, not now, i just don't think i could stand doing just maths and not being able to go to my art lessons afterwards!

You can take options. Some Bsc maths courses are extremely flexible.
Ben77mc
Why would anyone want to do an arts degree?
It isn't worth the time...

I think it's worth the time. And considering the profession I want to go into requires a graduate degree, so does that profession.

Also, I think you do actually know the reasons that people want to do arts degrees.

Hamnewcastle
I really didnt mean to sound rude or anything this is just my view on things i understand that some ppl might be annoyed by it..obviously the OP wanted views etc else they wouldnt have posted a thread lol!

I don't mean languages i mena things such as performing arts etc....because you dont even need a degree to go into the jobs you can get with those degrees. I mean i could become an actor if i was good at it, had the right training, interested! i dont need a degree in PA to get the job...where as academic subjects such as medicine etc you cant get the job without the degree so you may aswell put ur time, effort, money into doing something that can get you a good job...and do ur acting or whatever on the side and if it does all go down the pot...you have a good degree to fall back on.

x

As you correctly state, many people enter jobs without a relevant degree. What you ignore, however, is that some people may value the degree for itself. Practice in a subject can be very different from the theory, and you may enjoy either or both. For instance, the practice of law is very different from the study of it. It might be the right thing to do to study law if you love the theory, even if you can get right into the practical stuff (ILEX).
Reply 56
English + Chemistry at Keele :inlove: a bit of both :biggrin:
Reply 57
x.Crystal.x
I do :biggrin:
Why on earth would someone do something that they dont enjoy? Are people that blinded by money?
My tutor was Art Director at Penguin, but he didnt enjoy it, so he came to teach us lot, for more than half his pay.

I have the potential to earn loads in my industry, but it doesnt bother me, im just happy to be doing something i love <3

enjoying your degree != enjoying your job
Simplicity

What pretentious bull crap.

What you are saying is Maths is more important TO YOU.
Reply 59
madima
enjoying your degree != enjoying your job

yay! i tell people that so often! at gcse options then at a level options and now uni options! people think they should take a subject that they don't enjoy, how do they expect to end up with a career they enjoy?!

Latest

Trending

Trending