Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thread for people who don't like snobby people who put down Art's degree's!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny28)
    I got fed up with everyone making out as if Art's degrees are worth nothing! Would it be better to spend money on doing a degree that we don't enjoy!! The fact is that a lot of jobs such as Graphic Designers and especially things like Architecture you need a degree for, so we want to go to university and get a degree. If you enjoy Law and so you want to go to Cambridge to do Law to be a lawyer then why shouldn't we enjoy an Art's subject and go to a university that offers a lot of good art's courses to get a good job that we will enjoy! What also annoys me is when people say to me, oh you got an A* at GCSE Maths and are predicted A at A Level so why don't you do a Maths degree. Maybe because i would find that boring?! Anyway this isn't to offend people doing my example of Law at Cambridge if that's what they want to do I'm just fed up with being looked down upon! Rant over
    Shut up. Your boring me.

ReputationRep:
    I supoose International Relations with Politics isnt really arts....more humanities? Well anyways I'm asian and I'm gonna be doing that subject uni and everyone just looks at me like waaaa!? After they go around the circle with asian boy after asian girl says....medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, medicine....medicine....medicine .....(me)international relations with politics...... And then the parents of those kids give my parents the whole "sorry that your daughter has chosen a waste course for uni" look....IT DRIVES ME INSANE. Its like hello there are other careers other than medicine or pharmacy...or just medicine. Not that have any disrespect for that career path but its just not for me I'm good at writing and public speaking not learning about diseases and chemicals. Its like people think I'm dumb because I want to pursue somthing other than the typical asian medicine route....GAH!

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to do rodent studies this september combined with food studies

jk, i got u there didnt i

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    i'm going to do rodent studies this september combined with food studies

jk, i got u there didnt i
    you sure did , i almost went on to ucas course search do find out where i could do this incredible combination! yum! :p:

p.s. i like pretty stuff tooo!

ReputationRep:
    To whoever negged me; no problem

And well done for having the balls not to leave your name!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meenapixi)
    I supoose International Relations with Politics isnt really arts....more humanities? Well anyways I'm asian and I'm gonna be doing that subject uni and everyone just looks at me like waaaa!? After they go around the circle with asian boy after asian girl says....medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, medicine....medicine....medicine .....(me)international relations with politics...... And then the parents of those kids give my parents the whole "sorry that your daughter has chosen a waste course for uni" look....IT DRIVES ME INSANE. Its like hello there are other careers other than medicine or pharmacy...or just medicine. Not that have any disrespect for that career path but its just not for me I'm good at writing and public speaking not learning about diseases and chemicals. Its like people think I'm dumb because I want to pursue somthing other than the typical asian medicine route....GAH!
    feeling your pain dude! < i'm so not cool enough to pull that off

ReputationRep:
    I'm in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madima)
    who the hell enjoys their degree?! would you honestly want to do exams for fun? actually, this is TSR and so i shouldn't be surprised.
    erm...yeah.

ReputationRep:
    People usually look down on Arts because doing Arts isn't going to help the world progress, it's fine as everyone needs entertainment. We wouldn't have any of those good animated movies as such without those who go into arts.

It's just that science is where research is at, with many of the more pointless degrees being in the arts areas such as film studies it really is a drain on tax payers money and therefore deducting from what could be going into research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    People usually look down on Arts because doing Arts isn't going to help the world progress, it's fine as everyone needs entertainment. We wouldn't have any of those good animated movies as such without those who go into arts.

It's just that science is where research is at, with many of the more pointless degrees being in the arts areas such as film studies it really is a drain on tax payers money and therefore deducting from what could be going into research.
    have things such as film, advertising, media not helped spread messages that have helped the world progress?? what would be the point in a someone making a life-saving discovery if there weren't people to broadcast it to the world?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Meenapixi)
    :console:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm doing Music
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by madima)
    who the hell enjoys their degree?! would you honestly want to do exams for fun? actually, this is TSR and so i shouldn't be surprised.
    :hello:

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, pretty much all West End actors went to a drama school or college. Indeed - if you want to become a Hollywood star you should probably consider spending your money on cosmetic surgery instead of college education, but the vast majority of professional actors have a degree. People who think you are born a brilliant actor, singer or dancer are grossly mistaken. The performative arts is really all I know, but I imagine it may be similar for the fine arts. As for Film Studies, it is really not that different from English, but you study films instead of books (and yes, films can be as complex and worthy of study as W. B. Yeats' poetry).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)

But it is important to understand social and cultural well-being, in hand with medical and ethical well-being. Without art, film, recreation... we would run ourselves to the ground in a cultural depression and progressive research in those regarded more important studies would suffer. Without a quality of life, we are nothing.

And as to your argument about tax - every student has the same rights to subsidies. Just because you study in Law does not mean you will end up working in a Law profession, or gaining a job in extremely competitive industries. And the money granted toward such are hardly significant if compared with other tax drains like those receiving jobseekers allowance or other benefits with the intention of not finding a job and living off these funds, I'd say the minuscule bursaries offered to supplement the already hefty cost of education as a good investment in people and the community.

ReputationRep:
    ignore OLIVIA_LIGHTBULB SHE IS A TWIT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny28)
    have things such as film, advertising, media not helped spread messages that have helped the world progress?? what would be the point in a someone making a life-saving discovery if there weren't people to broadcast it to the world?
    The thing is you can do advertising, media and film without film studies. There are so many different media related degrees to that. For something such as becoming a doctor there is ONLY medicine which already costs students studying it a lot, despite NHS funding. If funding for all those alternative degrees was removed we could have more money going into research.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you don't know the meaning of the words arts.
    The truth is, unless you are say going to the London College of Fashion or RADA or the Central School ofspeech and Drama or RADA these degrees are seen as basically worthless. A person who has studied say, English has the analytical skills you need in advertising, they have unpicked great works of literature so surely crafting advertising should be so much easier for them.
    In fact I'd say a graduate in English, Psychology, Business, Sociology etc. could do equally as well in advertising as a graduate in advertising when they started in the same job, because they have a wider, more flexible skill set.
    Film and photography would be well learnt within the wider context of graphic design or, as they are practical subjects, by taking the initiative to research and practise. Many of the worlds most celebrated photographers (off the top of my head I can only think of Annie Leibovitz who studied fine art) never did a degree in photography from an ex poly, unsurprisingly.

you can neg me for this if you really want to, but it's hardly untrue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesioo)
    English + Chemistry at Keele :inlove: a bit of both
    What an interesting combination, you don't get to see too many people who do a science and art together.

One of favorite teachers did Physics and English, and I was shocked to find that out after she started to chat me up about Salinger during a Physics class. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I would be lieing if said arts had more uses than sciences but thinking about it all the time and arguing over it a bit sad. I say let people belive what they want to belive, a movie star can earn by far more than a doctor or engineer so can people in other artistic jobs so it aint always about money either. Whether one is harder than the other does not matter as its all subjective am sure not everyone knows how to draw. In terms of usefulness sciences may be much more useful but the culture of society and the media are very important as physical infastructure and biological health are not enough to make a peaceful world.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, I always think science and humanities/arts people should stick together. At least they believe in something other than money. :p:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.