Turn on thread page Beta

Thread for people who don't like snobby people who put down Art's degree's!!! watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by L i b)
    Who is Art?
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jormungandr)
    What is the deal with your love of making tangential points? Your original claim was that 40% of graduate positions are not open to arts, but nor are they all necessarily open to science students. What you say about Finance/IT is true, but that still doesn't counter the point being made; that many jobs are open to arts students, and that the 40% figure is misleading because a fair chunk of those are equally accessible or inaccessible to either group.

DUH, ME NO SPEKEE ENGLISH. U TALK SIMPLE PLICKS?

Shame doing a maths degree won't stop you being arrogant and unlikeable.

Look, historically, at who the brightest minds in history were. You'll notice that many are scientists, many others are philosophers, others are historians, others are sociologists. This is not a coincidence, because to push forward the boundaries of all these areas you have to be very intelligent indeed. Unless you're claiming that individuals like Hume, Kant, etc were just secretly too stupid for maths.
    Who?

ReputationRep:

I think my point is pretty clear.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Yeah my neighbour is the CEO of BCG as well innit and she did a BA in fine art. Oh, and I get neg rep because people can't face the truth - these weak students/graduates live in a bubble.
    Yep keep living in your own bubble, it'll burst soon enough when you enter the real world and realise that a BSc or MSc doesn't really put you ahead of the BA's and MA's when it comes to job interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Who is Art?
    op got nerd owned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crooks & castles)
    op got nerd owned
    i did
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jenny28)
    i did
    You know, you could edit the title if you wanted to stop such comments. On the other hand, it is quite funny. I dunno, there are points both ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    You know, you could edit the title if you wanted to stop such comments. On the other hand, it is quite funny. I dunno, there are points both ways.
    hmmm i don't know, i think it is why most people clicked on the thread, just to correct me!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jenny28)
    hmmm i don't know, i think it is why most people clicked on the thread, just to correct me!
    Ah so you're taking a 'come for the grammar stay for the discussion' approach? I see. On TSR, that should work well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannymccormick)
    I have no problem with English, Fine Art and Music. However Performing Arts and Film Studies are a complete waste of taxpayers money. Their respective students would benefit more from going into work at McDonalds. I knew this one guy - and he was the most annoying little groiffer I have ever encountered - who did performing arts and he had to write his essays in the first person. LOL. Furthermore, he's ugly and so is only ever going to be an extra. I say this because he won't succeed as an ugly Simon Pegg type either, because he just really isn't funny and has no charisma. And you have to stand back and think ... why did they even let him in?

I think these universities are making a bad investment by offering such a multitude of these courses. It's like banks giving out money to fiscally reckless individuals; one is just never going to get any return. That's the problem I see. And performing arts students tend to be snotty little *****es. Give me a bland engineer person at university over a superficial dolly girl who thinks she's going to star in Emmerdale anyday *thumbs up*

I know my post may seem harsh, but I'm simply saying what I need to say as plainly as possible.
    you're ignorant and seem to have issues with people with ambitions ...dont generalise ,performing arts students have an interest in theatre and theater productions...and you don't have to be brad pitt to be in a play. Obviously the ugly guy you describe has some talent for acting ,otherwise he wouldnt have got in ,and i think the people interviewing at the university knows more about spotting talent than you.

ReputationRep:
    There is a load of bulls**t being spouted here! One of the main reasons scientists/engineers look down on an arts degree is because they appear to have much less academic rigour for example contact hours a week, work handed in, number of exams at the end of the year and lots don't even require a dissertation!

However, most degrees cost about 3k a year in tuition. It costs a lot more to teach an engineer than it does to teach an english lit student for example (because of the software and practical stuff required).

Therefore art's students effectively fund the technical stuff through tuition fee margins.

In terms of graduate prospects the following data should help clear that up:

http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp

But more importantly, who cares? I'm good at maths and science but can barely draw! Study what you want, if you're good at it you will do well!

Although as an MEng aerospace engineering student I must admit it does seem annoying when you have to spend much more time in the library compared to a LOT of other students!

Yeah I know my grammar is awful too/ so please don't rip into it :P

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a degree to become a graphic designer.

As long as the person is happy with what they're doing, I don't think there's any need to tell them what they're doing is a waste of time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I randomly came across this earlier today: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ec...8-09-2/naylor/

Makes for some very interesting reading!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Who?
    ... You can't be serious. Though you probably are. In which case, dear *god*, get some general education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratocaster)
    You don't need a degree to become a graphic designer.
    Yes you do. I'm too tired to repeat myself so I refer you to this thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...t#post18744347

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the opinion of actual graphic designers (such as myself and others commenting in that thread) who have worked for reputable ad agencies and large clients has more basis in reality than that of 18-year old kids who know nothing about the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Although its expected, some people here are so arrogant. Just because you don't like art degrees and/or can't do art to save your life doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. Some people are good at arts (not necessarily bad at sciences) and find sciences boring as hell, so there should be an option for them to do arts instead. If you love organic chemistry, equations or economics etc good for you! Just stop saying we all should just because you want it to be so and do yourself. That part of it doesn't even have anything to do with the materialistic aspects such as salaries at all, its just to do with people being narrow minded. They also seem to have a fail of an idea as to what everyone should like/do and just can't wait to rush in to dictate to those who don't fit said idea, what degrees they can and can't do...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=dannymccormick
    I think these universities are making a bad investment by offering such a multitude of these courses. It's like banks giving out money to fiscally reckless individuals; one is just never going to get any return. That's the problem I see. And performing arts students tend to be snotty little *****es. Give me a bland engineer person at university over a superficial dolly girl who thinks she's going to star in Emmerdale anyday *thumbs up*

I know my post may seem harsh, but I'm simply saying what I need to say as plainly as possible.[/QUOTE]

I have a friend who did English Lit and Theatre Studies; she is highly intelligent and talented, got a well deserved first and went on to do a fiercely competitive postgraduate course at the famous Trinity-Laban school of performing arts. She is one of the people I respect most in the world. How dare you make out that performing arts students are useless!

I did English Lit and Music, and I can assure you (or those who look down on these subjects, anyway - can't remember your views on these) that they were just as academically rigorous as any other subject. The musicology/music history essays I did dealt with just as many complex ideas/philosophical concepts as my English ones did (and the History/R.E/Philosophy essays of my friends that I saw). And don't get me started on on all the technical theoretical work we had to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    you're ignorant and seem to have issues with people with ambitions ...dont generalise ,performing arts students have an interest in theatre and theater productions...and you don't have to be brad pitt to be in a play. Obviously the ugly guy you describe has some talent for acting ,otherwise he wouldnt have got in ,and i think the people interviewing at the university knows more about spotting talent than you.
    Yes, I'm sure little moronic Zac will definitely be big in the future I sincerely hope that you are right for the taxpayers' sake. I admit, I have no degree in talent spotting! (talent spotting; perhaps that will be another degree made available to the high school drop outs or the 'cool kids' as they refer to one another :yes: )

ReputationRep:
    All you science and maths people, I would love for you to experience what the world would be like without any art, film, literature etc. Yes, you might be able to invent a television for example, and all the filming equipment to make a TV show, but oh my gosh look at that, no scripts, no sets, no costumes. All you can do with this marvellous invention is broadcast news ... How much fun.

ReputationRep:
    Snobby people take arts degrees. I should know, I am a complete snob.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.