Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The monarchy is an archaic institution whose members enjoy respect and influence purely by accident of birth.

Why, in a 21st century 'democracy', do we continue to allow this blatant abuse of our civil liberties? We still have a non-elected House of Lords for crying out loud! We should be out on the streets in our droves, protesting at this continuing injustice. Yet, unfortunately, we sit in our homes playing our Xbox's and Nintendo's.

True, we need an institution to regulate the activity of the establishment and, if the worst comes to the worst, to step in and take control; but surely we can find a better way than an outdated, parasitic royalty.

Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    A codified constituiton... and a revolution.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, atleast the hereditory peers are being diminished...

And what "role" does the Monarchy actually, actively play in Politics? The Queen gives her assent to a Bill she hasn't even read?

Hmm... I say leave the politics to the politicians.. though that might not be the best idea anyway ahaa :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donnahh)
    Hmm... I say leave the politics to the politicians..
    A dangerous strategy.

Then we end up with things like ID cards...

ReputationRep:
    Another "egalitarian" moron who thinks that equality is preferable to good governance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moosehead)
    A dangerous strategy.

Hehe, hence why I said maybe not the best idea

ReputationRep:
    Wll they certainly aren't parasitic and ther are other countries with Consitutional Monarchies around the world, so it's not really outdated. You make it sound like they are an immediate threat to British politics, which, let's be frank, they really aren't.

ReputationRep:
    More useless dogma vs what actually works, and the monarchy works. The reason people aren’t out on the street is because republicans are by far the minority.

God save the Queen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    Another "egalitarian" moron who thinks that equality is preferable to good governance.
    Actually, I'm quite often accused of elitism (even though I'm not an elitist). You wouldn't know that, however, as you have no idea about me - so keep your ill-informed prejudices to yourself. As for good governance: what country have you been living in for the last two decades? Also, with regard to egalitarianism: rather that than Tory oppression.

(Original post by QwentyJ)
    ther are other countries with Consitutional Monarchies around the world, so it's not really outdated.
    There are countries in the world with active fascist dictatorships, but you wouldn't want that in your country, would you?

We can do a lot better than the current system. Let's restructure it so that a democratically elected institution plays the regulatory role - we could sort out the corruption while we were at it.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em1sYyg5JyU

ReputationRep:
    Give me one good reason why? A democraticaly elected system is not the best system for a regulatory role by far, the whole idea is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I agree completely, the monarchy is a backward and useless institution.

ReputationRep:
    The monarchy provides a constitutional saveguard against the ever-present threat of totalitarian rule. Whilst, day to day, the benefits may not seem apparent, in the event of the rise to power of a dictatorial regime, you'd be extremely thankful that any bills had to go through the monarch before being enacted into law.

Besides, the system works, simple as. The Queen, on the whole, remains politically neutral; royal prerogative rests with the prime minister and all executive decisions are taken within the cabinet. I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

(Original post by Dumbledore Mk II)
    The monarchy provides a constitutional saveguard against the ever-present threat of totalitarian rule. Whilst, day to day, the benefits may not seem apparent, in the event of the rise to power of a dictatorial regime, you'd be extremely thankful that any bills had to go through the monarch before being enacted into law.
    does it? ...why couldn't it be equally true that the monarchy would advance the threat of totalitarian rule if it defended their interests? in the past, there have been cases where a country slipped into totalitarian rule while having a monarch - think japan or thailand or italy. if, as is likely, we have a stupid or greedy monarch sometime in the future, why isn't a case of a monarch letting (or even supporting) a dictatorial regime take power in the UK a possible scenario in your considerations? ...beyond your wishful thinking, i don't see any reason to think that a monarch is more likely to oppose a dictatorial regime than they are to support it.

ReputationRep:
    Role of the monarchy
    They account for over 30% of the Daily Mail limited edition finest porcelain collection plate market. And where would Britain be without such fine art as this?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure we could cope every bit as well without them.

Perhaps better, in fact.

Not that any difference would be significant enough to make it worthwhile deposing them. It's a nice institution to have around for ceremonial purposes.

ReputationRep:
    Here is a post that I just wrote on my blog:

In Defense of British Monarchism

Not only has monarchy survived in Britain for thousands of years, it has grown and adapted to suit the political climates of the times as any institution must do. The fact that it is also a much loved traditional institution that has an astounding basis in history and is therefore very likely to have numerous things in it's favour, essentially means that the burden of proof lies on those who wish to abolish or even reform this institution. They must provide good reason for their desires to do so.

But not only are there no good reasons for abolishing the monarchy, there are numerous practical reasons for supporting the institution that most defines this land.

First of all, while the monarch occupies the highest office of the state, no one can take over the government. While he is head of the law, no politician can take over the courts. While he is ultimately in command of the Armed Forces, no would-be dictator can take over the Army. This argument from Churchill shows that the monarch is the ultimate bulwark against any dictatorial regime, perhaps only rivaled by the institution of the family.

Second, the monarchy is completely pro-family. Children of the royal family are brought up to be heads of state and often have far more knowledge of being a British head of state than any would be President would have. The royal family are covered in the traditions of our nation and have an immense sense of patriotic duty.

Thirdly, the egalitarian ideal which is often invoked by the enemies of the monarchy has no basis in human nature. As the French sociologist Émile Durkheim knew man needs something above him for society to survive. If men do not bow to Kings, who will they bow to? Rather a noble King than a decadent celebrity.

And finally, the monarchy is an institution that almost defines this nation. It is a beloved cultural tradition which in time past has been shown to be both beneficial and practical.

And now after my defence of the British monarchy I close with only a few words: God Save the Queen.

My Blog

ReputationRep:
    A dangerous strategy.

Well they've managed to establish and maintain a database state without the royal family making any effort at an intervention whatsoever.

If they're supposed to intervene when the government goes a bit power mad, then where have they been the past 10 years? We've been slowly drifting into an Orwellian state at the mercy of New Labour and I've never heard a royal try to make heads nor tails of it. If the monarchy were fulfilling their supposed 'role', ideas such as ID cards and the database state would have lasted no longer than a few days, and the cost incurred by them wouldn't have been more then the pieces of paper on which the ideas were first drafted.

The royal family are not qualified for their role. They live outside the bubble of government rule that the rest of us are immersed in, and as such, they are blind to the injustices the rest of us face. How can they be expected to intervene in things they are blind to?

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of them.
    All they do is sit around wearing crowns being all posh and cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Disenchanted-x)
    Get rid of them.
    All they do is sit around wearing crowns being all posh and cool.
    No they don’t, Windsor PLC are out and about the country everyday or entertaining people at the palace, then at night the Queen goes through her official papers sent from the government. And the only time she wears her crown is the coronation and the state opening of parliament.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.