Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    and if so does it cap your speeds, does it allow torrents etc..?

cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Torrents do work, but I only ever downloaded things in this way during holidays i.e. when the internet was a hell of a lot faster than it was during term time. No idea if it's actually allowed, but I never got asked about it, but then again it was only a few times during the holidays. During term time, absolute no chance for torrents. Most of the time you can't even watch anything on Iplayer because the internet is so slow. I wouldn't bother.

ReputationRep:
    :O really? that's mental, everyone i've spoken to who go to other unis has said that they get incredibly fast internet...

ReputationRep:
    bit gutted about not being able to watch iplayer. And with the whole live streaming thing instead of iplayer, you need a tv licence lol :/

i was hoping to survive on 40D and iplayer because I don't want to have to pay for a TV and Tv licence lol. Anyone else in that situation? xD

ReputationRep:
    Who knows, maybe they'll upgrade it for next year. If you wanted to use iplayer you had to set it to download and wait about 3 days haha. No, seriously. 4oD was usually a bit better I found. Obviously certain times of day are better than others i.e. you have absolutely no chance on a Sunday at all really, though on a Tuesday at 10am you could probably watch 4oD streaming ok....

I mostly used youtube for programs, leaving it to load up while I did other things!

TV licensing - I lived in Lewes Court ph 1, and knew at least 5 flats with TVs without licences, and none got fined. It's difficult for the TV licensing people to gain access into halls of residence; I believe that they would have to get permission/warrant to be on campus, one to get into the main building, one into the specific flat, and then another if it's in someones room. The best they can do is send a warning letter, but aside from that...it's quite unlikely.

But if anyone else knows better then please correct me!

ReputationRep:
    When I lived in PV I could watch BBC iplayer and 4oD streaming fine? I had no idea that the internet had a reputation for being slow- I thought it was pretty decent actually. Mind you this was the early days of those sorts of services so I suppose it was possible that not as many people were trying to use them.

You could quite easily have a TV with no licence tbh, they'll send you letters but I think you have to physically let them in to do a search, they don't have any powers of entry like the police. I didn't have a TV but got letters saying that they'd be sending someone round to check as did all the people in my house but unsurprisingly they never showed up.

ReputationRep:
    It was pretty good for the first week I remember and then went downhill from there....one thing I'd say to all new halls of residence people - buy a cat5e cable before you arrive so you're able to connect to the internet. They might run out in the campus shops because so many people forget. AND when setting up the internet READ the instructions and actually follow them!!!

ReputationRep:
    There were times where i found the net to be quite slow - but generally it was great. I was usually able to download my tv eps (each around 350MB) in about 7mins. The ethernet ports in every room is limited to 10mbps (~ 1.25MB/s).

if you download too much, your speed is automatically capped to something ridiculous (around 30KB/s)

hope this help

i was staying in stanmer court (it sucked!)

ReputationRep:
    The internet connection at Sussex is a complete joke, as everyone I talked to seemed to agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flossy_)
    bit gutted about not being able to watch iplayer. And with the whole live streaming thing instead of iplayer, you need a tv licence lol :/

i was hoping to survive on 40D and iplayer because I don't want to have to pay for a TV and Tv licence lol. Anyone else in that situation? xD
    Yeah, same! I didn't want to have to lug a television down to Sussex, and then pay over £100 for a license. Rrrrgr. Maybe I'll just make friends with someone who does have a tv? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Surely the students can complain about the internet being too slow? I could probably get faster on my 3G Vodafone dongle! Hope it's relatively fast and reliable by October >.>

ReputationRep:
    I hope its fast. More importantly I hope its a pretty low latency. (for online games).

At the moment I have terrible internet (I get a max of 90kbps), but my latency is only 15ms.

ReputationRep:
    Might be a stupid question, but do you pay for use of the internet at Sussex? Is it easy to set up?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.