Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which airport is nearest? I'm looking into booking my tickets and I'd just like to know which airport you guys suggest? From my research, it seems Heathrow is nearest but I'm not sure!

ReputationRep:
    Heathrow is one straight bus away (71, will cost you £5 one way).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Which airport is nearest? I'm looking into booking my tickets and I'd just like to know which airport you guys suggest? From my research, it seems Heathrow is nearest but I'm not sure!
    I can see Heathrow from my window - that's how close it is; not to mention the noise (which you'll get used to, although if you're in Penrose, it might not be AS bad)

Getting from campus to Heathrow and vice versa; you've got the choice of bus or train basically.

Bus is the number 71 to/from Slough or the number 441!

Train - get the bus link from Heathrow to Feltham and just hop on either the Reading or Weybridge train. Feltham's about 15mins from Egham.

Train is quicker but you've got to think about getting luggage up the hill. At least with the two buses, they stop right by the college entrance.

If you were to go into Gatwick - you'd have to train to Clapham Junction and then get on again either the Weybridge or Reading train.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, Heathrow is a lot closer! How long is the bus from Heathrow? Which terminal does it go from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Wow, Heathrow is a lot closer! How long is the bus from Heathrow? Which terminal does it go from?
    Bus 71 takes about 30 mins and goes to Terminal 5; Bus 441 takes about an hour and goes to both T5 and Heathrow's bus station

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    Bus 71 takes about 30 mins and goes to Terminal 5; Bus 441 takes about an hour and goes to both T5 and Heathrow's bus station
    That's really not bad for a fiver! Thanks a lot! I guess it will have to be Heathrow .

ReputationRep:
    not to mention the noise (which you'll get used to, although if you're in Penrose, it might not be AS bad)
    Do you mean that in Penrose it's less noisy? I'm staying in Penrose and that would be just great.
    Btw, I am landing in Gatwick. How long/much does it take to come to RHUL?
    Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elpinix)
    How long/much does it take to come to RHUL?
    Thanks a lot!
    Get the train straight up to clapham then clapham to egham. no more than a couple of hours including changes. it's an easy journey.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, sounds good!! It's a pity though that there are no low-cost flights to and from Heathrow..at least from Italy (where I come from).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, sounds good!! It's a pity though that there are no low-cost flights to and from Heathrow..at least from Italy (where I come from).
    If you book now on the major airlines, you'll pay the same price as the low-cost airlines, e.g. Easyjet.

For example, I'm flying from Geneva and I'll be booking with Swiss Airlines. They are charging £50 for a one way flight to Heathrow.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean that in Penrose it's less noisy? I'm staying in Penrose and that would be just great.
    Thanks a lot!
    Oh whoops got two members confused - ignore my comment about Penrose Woksz (unless you are actually in Penrose)

What I mean by noise is air traffic noise as they tend to be the loudest on the bottom of the campus. However with Penrose you have the delight of the A30 running right beside you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!
    check www.nationalrail.co.uk as you can put in your journey and find out what time the train will be when you get off your flight

ReputationRep:
    Thank you jennyng2000, WokSz and apotoftea!!!
    I suppose I will get used to the traffic noise, too... ;-)

ReputationRep:
    you should have a look at flying to Stansted, where Ryanair and Easyjet fly. It has a direct train from the airport to Liverpool Street in central London, from which you can get the tube to Waterloo, a train to Egham, and a taxi/a walk to Royal Holloway. It's probably not the best place to fly to if you're coming with all of your luggage as you won't want to bother taking it round central London, but flying to/from Stansted would only take you an hour and a half more than getting to Heathrow and you could probably save quite a lot of money, plus Stansted is a far less stressful airport than Heathrow.

ReputationRep:
    hey i dont no how ur travelling...but i go from heathrow all the time via bus..i just catch the 71 from t5 which takes a half hour. or u can get the 441 from t3 bus stations but this takes 1 hour. its a £3 single n £5 return. dont no if its gonna help u. good luck

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone of you registered for the free pick up service from Heathrow airport?
    I think I might register for that service
    click here for more info

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 10, 2009

University open days

1. Royal Holloway University of London
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  2. Royal Holloway University of London
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.