Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you wash your hands after you go to the toilet? watch

• View Poll Results: Washing your hands after the toilet?
    Yes, every time/almost every time
    77.88%
    Only after a #1/only after a #2
    6.19%
    Depends on where I am and/or how much time I have
    7.08%
    No, very rarely/never
    8.85%

ReputationRep:
    oh my god 11 people said they rarely/never wash their hands ERGH you deserve swine flu and other diseases if you clicked no omg i feel physically ill now AHHHH theres people in the world who do not wash their hands after dealing with their bloody urine and poo, i shouldn't of opened this thread. oh god

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shuvel)
    Think about it for a minute. You don't wash your hands, then go out somewhere, even sitting at a fast food place. your putting your hands all over a table which hundreds of people then touch in turn, your basically transferring the germs off your wang onto everything you touch, including hand-rails and doors etc. You're not the only person in the world. It always annoyed me in school when you were in the toilet and someone would come in, go for it then wander out again without washing their hands...I have to sit at their desk the next period ¬¬
    No doubt, but your probably getting more baddies off the table than your putting on there in any case. I must have heard it a hundred times that 'your average office table has more germs on it than your average toilette seat'. Secondly, you really think its washing your hands after a tinkle that makes the difference? In fact even right after you've rinsed those bad boys they're swarming with bacteria which feed, not off a sweaty gooch, but of your dead skin cells all over your body(inc your newly 'clean' hands). Toilettes smell, so its easy to associate it with a need to clean your hands, but the point is that the can't hurt you as long as 'you wash your hands before you eat'. That's the only importing thing to do in my eyes...

ReputationRep:
    all the time unless it really isn't possible

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit obsessive. So I wash my hands all the time...

going as anon here, because the general feeling of this thread is that people who don't are disgusting. Basically, i do if i have taken a dump, but if im just going for a piss, no. Because i don't generally touch anything, i don't piss on myself and unless you literally cover your hand in piss or stroke the toilett basin or something, it's not going to affect me. People over sterilise their environments, we are too germ conscious and it is drummed into us that germs are the bain of our existance. I have a very strong immune system, barely ever get ill even when my girlfriend has flu and i kiss her etc. I think this is part of the reason why, because my body deals with small amounts of germs on a daily basis. People who wash their hands all the time and worry too much about that sort of thing are just making it worse. There are plenty of germs in other areas that we wouldn't bother washing our hands after touching, the only reason we do it when going to the toilett is because it is seen as a 'dirty' act.

Im not saying people should never wash their hands, I'm just saying that it's not the be all and end all. There just a few germs, your body can deal with them.

ReputationRep:
    Wash them yes, dry them no.

ReputationRep:
    of course :p:

I have to say that I generally don't (female). I don't think it is a big deal. People panic about germs and what-not, but zomg, I'm still alive. In fact (touch wood) I am very rarely ill. My job involves a lot of picking up animal ****, so I guess I immune to it. I don't wash my hands after touch my animals, animals I work with or after picking up their ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have to say that I generally don't (female). I don't think it is a big deal. People panic about germs and what-not, but zomg, I'm still alive. In fact (touch wood) I am very rarely ill. My job involves a lot of picking up animal ****, so I guess I immune to it. I don't wash my hands after touch my animals, animals I work with or after picking up their ****.
    :puke: at least wash them after handling animal sh1t!

I wash them every single time, so should everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yourfaceisfunny)
    Why would a girl have to wash her hands after peeing? i mean she doesnt touch ANYTHING. everyones like 'ewww', but i dont think you all are so spotless and clean. i try to wash my hands every time, but sometimes i really do not have time.

You make me sick.

ReputationRep:
    No, because I want to make people sick :evil:

(Original post by ßlαcksωαn)
    :puke: at least wash them after handling animal sh1t!

I wash them every single time, so should everyone else.
    Why? if I was getting ill constantly as a result of my actions, then perhaps I would be wary of hygiene. But I am not. So, I don't really care. The fact is, there are germs and 'harmful' bacteria everywhere. Your keyboard is probably just a dirty and bacteria riddled as your toilet seat.

As for those of you moaning about urine, urine is sterile. You can drink your own urine and it ain't gonna kill you. As for crapping, I assume no one on this website is three years old. Unless you are a toddler, you probably won't be getting crap all over your hands. That is what loo roll is for.

ReputationRep:
    I feel contaminated when I dont.

Ofcourse i do

I have a friend who never does it though, on the grounds that he's never does it and it's helped him build up his immune system :rolleyes:

Got dermititus on my hands, so washing makes them really dry...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why? if I was getting ill constantly as a result of my actions, then perhaps I would be wary of hygiene. But I am not. So, I don't really care. The fact is, there are germs and 'harmful' bacteria everywhere. Your keyboard is probably just a dirty and bacteria riddled as your toilet seat.

As for those of you moaning about urine, urine is sterile. You can drink your own urine and it ain't gonna kill you. As for crapping, I assume no one on this website is three years old. Unless you are a toddler, you probably won't be getting crap all over your hands. That is what loo roll is for.
    I don't give a **** if it makes you or I sick or not..I just think it's gross.

Only after a number 2.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Some people on here hahaha

ReputationRep:
    I just wash my hands naturally. I also try to get as far away as possible from the toilet before I flush it so I don;t get sprayed by toilet bits... then I go back and check if everything's cleared.

ReputationRep:
    Always, not forgetting soap. The thought of someone not washing their hands makes me feel queasy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.