Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an unconditional offer to study philosophy at Durham, my grades were AAA, including maths.

I got very high (99%, 100%) marks in most of the maths modules.

So my question is, how likely is it that I'd be allowed to switch?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Not that I actually would know or anything but I doubt it would be possible as the two subjects aren't even slightly related.

ReputationRep:
    Ring Durham up tomorrow and ask them. Then you'll know the answer for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Most probably yes. There is some switching at the start of the year. If you have the prerequisite A-levels (which you do), it's only impossible when a course is over subscribed and maths is unlikely to be in that position.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's quite possible...the only issue you might have is that maths applicants usually need to have Further Maths (I think..) so if you don't that could be an issue.

You could always try switching to NatSci and doing Maths and/with Philosophy (I would have thought maths and philosophy were a good combination but it's horses for courses, I guess).

ReputationRep:
    Ah, Philosophy. It and Maths, you just can't get the two of them seperated. :-P

Don't see why they'd consider it to be honest, different department and popular course.

ReputationRep:
    Logic, much?

Loads of people do Maths/Philosophy via Combined Arts and Physics and Philosophy of course.

It's not that strange. I think it's worth getting in touch with them about it, Maths or Natural Sciences that is.

ReputationRep:
    It may also depend on whether you do further maths as well as that is usually a requirement at some universities but im not sure at Durham

ReputationRep:
    Probably you can yes - they're usually very open to people switching courses - I switched 3 weeks into my second year and it was all fine =)

ReputationRep:
    You could switch to Natural Sciences to do Maths/Philosophy, then depending on module compatability try switching to Pure maths...

ReputationRep:
    possible, but not guaranteed. Ring them now and find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itchynscratchy)
    possible, but not guaranteed. Ring them now and find out.
    Durham admissions people might have better things to do at 11:15 on a Saturday night (well, one might hope so...), but yes, first thing on Monday just ask them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sooz)
    Durham admissions people might have better things to do at 11:15 on a Saturday night (well, one might hope so...), but yes, first thing on Monday just ask them.
    Well yes when I said now I meant ASAP, clearly :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The only people who can tell you are the Maths and Philosophy depts at Durham. To be considered, you must satisfy the entry requirements for Maths - see http://www.dur.ac.uk/mathematical.sc...uate/applying/ for the general stuff. If you do satisfy the Maths entry requirements, you should contact them and see what they say - they could be full and have to say no even if you do meet their requirements but at least you'll know. If you'd like to study Maths and Philosophy, that can be done under the heading of Natural Sciences and you should contact them to see if they would allow a transfer. What I suggest you avoid is arriving in Durham with a place to study Philosophy and intent on actually studying Maths or Natural Sciences and not knowing whether you'll be able to do that or not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.