Turn on thread page Beta

Eligibility of UK nationals living abroad for student finance watch

ReputationRep:
    This is not for me, but for someone else who doesn't have a TSR account. I'm pretty sure I have the right answer already, but still.

In what circumstances are expat UK nationals eligible for student finance?

ReputationRep:
    Would need to know more information.

Where were they?
    Why were they there?

Would be able to advise better if I knew this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    Would need to know more information.

Where were they?
    Why were they there?

Would be able to advise better if I knew this.
    They moved to the US with their parents, three years ago. Don't have US citizenship and still got British passports.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, was it because their parents were posted abroad by an employer on a contract?

Sorry, residency is never a straightforward thing I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    They moved to the US with their parents, three years ago. Don't have US citizenship and still got British passports.
    According to the Student Finance website:

To qualify for student finance as a student from England, you will need to meet all of the residence requirements. Generally, on the first day of the academic year in which your course starts, you must:

be a UK national or have 'settled status' in the UK (under the terms of the Immigration Act 1971)
    be ‘ordinarily resident’ in England
    have been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before starting the course - and not wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education
    Students who are settled in the UK may also be eligible if they have exercised a right of residence in the EEA or Switzerland before returning to the UK to study.

You’re 'ordinarily resident' somewhere if it’s where you normally live. It doesn’t matter if you’re out of the country temporarily from time to time.

'Settled status' means that there are no immigration restrictions on how long you can stay in the UK.

But this doesn’t cover all circumstances - even if you don’t meet these criteria, you may still qualify for student finance.

So it doesn't look too hopeful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    Ok, was it because their parents were posted abroad by an employer on a contract?

Sorry, residency is never a straightforward thing I'm afraid.
    No, they moved abroad for the sake of living there, not for employment reasons.

ReputationRep:
    On that basis, they have broken their residency status and would be ineligible. If it was for a temporary work contract then would have been fine.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.