Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do I only feel normal after getting over cold/hangover (depression related) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Its a strange thing I do suffer from depression and low self esteem, I think it might be because when I get a cold or hangover I get lower feelings than normal then when the cold/hangover is better I get an upper so I feel normal or what I believe to be normal, this has been happening for years.

Case in point is that I THINK I have just got over Swine Flu, I had the flu about a month ago and my friend definately had it, he had a permanent blocked up nose and felt ill and dizzy and a month later still has it, and my dad had it for a week.

Anyway I might of had it because though my blocked up nose and dizziness went away I had gut pain for ages, and had diarrohea every day for hours(like from say 3am in morning to 3 in afternoon).

All of a sudden today my blotchy skin has cleared up literally overnight(was spotty now barely red marks) I feel not energetic as such but just normal and want to chill and walk around town.

I often notice I feel better after getting over a cold or hangover but any ideas why?

ReputationRep:
    .. Because your body and system has just recovered from the cold/hangover and is getting back to its normal pattern?

Sorry, this confused me a little. I mean, OF COURSE we'll all feel much better after having the "cold" and feeling **** for days.

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a pointless thread don't you think?

You're basically asking why you feel good when you're not ill...

Why the **** do you think?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    .. Because your body and system has just recovered from the cold/hangover and is getting back to its normal pattern?

Sorry, this confused me a little. I mean, OF COURSE we'll all feel much better after having the "cold" and feeling **** for days.
    I was talking about normal in the sense im not depressed like I am all the time so normal in the normal way, not my "normal routine" if that makes sense i.e my normal routine is me being depressed which isnt normal for a person whereas the normal I get after a cold or hangover is the normal that a non depressed person gets.

A lot of normals there lol but btw because I am depressed I dont feel any worse when I have a cold or hangover likely due to the fact I seem to have a fantastic immune system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Bit of a pointless thread don't you think?

You're basically asking why you feel good when you're not ill...

Why the **** do you think?!
    :rofl:
    I thought so too, but I already have too many warning points to be complaining.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:
    I thought so too, but I already have too many warning points to be complaining.
    I know I explained it badly but I feel like banging my head against a wall.

What I'm saying and I will try and break it down as simply as I can is that most/all of the time I feel depressed and tired and stressed and getting a cold doesnt really make me feel any worse than I normally am, I can honesly say I have never been so ill that I have felt really awful, unless you count a few times when I have had a chest infection and felt drunk/hungover but psychologically I didnt feel that bad.

When I recover from a hangover or cold I feel better than I do in general everyday life, I feel like I used to do before I had depression i.e "normal" in the sense of the way everyone else feels all the time.

Still a bit badly worded but hope you get my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    I know I explained it badly but I feel like banging my head against a wall.

What I'm saying and I will try and break it down as simply as I can is that most/all of the time I feel depressed and tired and stressed and getting a cold doesnt really make me feel any worse than I normally am, I can honesly say I have never been so ill that I have felt really awful, unless you count a few times when I have had a chest infection and felt drunk/hungover but psychologically I didnt feel that bad.

When I recover from a hangover or cold I feel better than I do in general everyday life, I feel like I used to do before I had depression i.e "normal" in the sense of the way everyone else feels all the time.

Still a bit badly worded but hope you get my point.
    You mean that getting a cold doesn't make you feel any worse/different to how you felt before (you don't feel good generally), but once the cold is starting to get over, you feel better for a while .. Then go back to your 'normal' mood, which isn't at all good?

ReputationRep:
    You mean that getting a cold doesn't make you feel any worse/different to how you felt before (you don't feel good generally), but once the cold is starting to get over, you feel better for a while .. Then go back to your 'normal' mood, which isn't at all good?
    Pretty much yeah, I think the reason is like comparing myself to a candle, when I get the good feeling after recovering I dont want to sleep so end up staying up all night even though my eyes and head are telling me to sleep so its kind of an imbalance, and at the same time the only times I ever feel in the mood to really drink alcohol is when I recover from a cold as I feel pretty good not exactly perfect but good so again my brain is arguing with itself as such.

ReputationRep:
    I think I understand what you mean - that after being ill, you feel less depressed for a while?

Just a suggestion, when you feel better, go for a walk/run.
    It's universally accepted that exercise is very very good for your mental health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennikay)
    I think I understand what you mean - that after being ill, you feel less depressed for a while?

Just a suggestion, when you feel better, go for a walk/run.
    It's universally accepted that exercise is very very good for your mental health.
    Generally I do but I get stuck with a watered down version of my depressed mindset i.e I want to go into every shop and buy things then get buyers remorse as I cant afford it(and even if I can I become almost skint) and then I feel like im walking for nothing I just hate sitting at home as its where I'm the most comfortable and most depressed at same time!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I just noticed you're in Hull, haha, so am I

I mean just go for a walk, depending where you are maybe have a jog round the nearest park or something (though maybe not East Park hahaha). Not necessarily shopping, though I have to say retail therapy cheers me up almost as much as a bar of chocolate :p: oh God, I'm so unhealthy haha.

Take care of yourself too. Eat healthily, veg and lean protein and that sort of thing, greasy/sugary foods tend to make you feel worse. I'm sure you've heard all this before, but you know what I mean

ReputationRep:
    Something to check out might be the GP Exercise referral scheme? I know they do it where I live (Hessle) so they should do it near you - admittedly it is £30 for the sessions, but that's £1.50 a session and it means you get to use a gym for almost nothing and the person who trains you should be well trained in exercise for mental health reasons. Something to consider if you could get hold of £30.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I just noticed you're in Hull, haha, so am I

I mean just go for a walk, depending where you are maybe have a jog round the nearest park or something (though maybe not East Park hahaha). Not necessarily shopping, though I have to say retail therapy cheers me up almost as much as a bar of chocolate :p: oh God, I'm so unhealthy haha.

Take care of yourself too. Eat healthily, veg and lean protein and that sort of thing, greasy/sugary foods tend to make you feel worse. I'm sure you've heard all this before, but you know what I mean
    I thought you looked familiar lol, the problem I have is I have aspergers so get very paranoid and bad around others socially so most of my depression if not all is down to social anxiety since I dont fit in with anyone so get upset and being in my mid twenties now people think I am too old to hang around with, Im too geeky to be part of the clubbing crowd and like more punk style music but too geeky to be a punk, too punky to be trendy etc.

So I sit down in my bedroom with loads of things I want to do at same time and I end up doing none.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know me then? :p:
    I avoid telling people I'm from Hull, hahaha.

Are you getting help from your GP/CMHT?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know me then? :p:
    I avoid telling people I'm from Hull, hahaha.

Are you getting help from your GP/CMHT?
    Not personally you just look a lot like a girl I know but she goes to the Scarborough Campus so I doubt its you lol.

Nope GP's are useless just say they cant prescribe drugs(Despite family history of it and me getting them when I was 18 no problem) saying the Government is cutting back on things like depression as they dont want loads of people to be signed off and want them working! a few GP's at different surgerys have told me the same, and just offer to put me on a long 6 month waiting list for councilling and only they can recommed medication back to doctor but the whole process would take at least a year and is unlikely to do so, I have a friend(from Hull born and raised) who is on Disability benefits because of his mental health issues but he cant get prescribed anything from doctors despite sometimes being suicidal or getting so drunk(on purpose) he trashes his room then starts crying.

ReputationRep:
    Oh :confused: I do seem to get the impression that I've been incredibly lucky to be honest, I went to my GP who referred me straight to the CMHT and I was seen in 4 months and started therapy straight away (I have OCD, by the way.)

You could try contacting MIND, or waving a copy of the NICE guidelines under your GP's nose. Persistence REALLY is the way to go if you feel you need help and you're not getting it.

Here's the NICE guidelines: http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf...nfoamended.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Oh :confused: I do seem to get the impression that I've been incredibly lucky to be honest, I went to my GP who referred me straight to the CMHT and I was seen in 4 months and started therapy straight away (I have OCD, by the way.)

You could try contacting MIND, or waving a copy of the NICE guidelines under your GP's nose. Persistence REALLY is the way to go if you feel you need help and you're not getting it.

Here's the NICE guidelines: http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf...nfoamended.pdf
    Well one of the things with Aspergers and Autism is something similar to OCD, I hate having a messy flat and like to keep it "tidy" be that even so simple as chucking stuff in wardrobes makes it tolerable as long as I cant see it, but when everything is organised I feel far happier.

Similar for food, I am overly critical over my own food hence eating junk food since it doesnt need to be cooked I can honestly even cook something simple like packet macaroni cheese and hate it, go to a cafe and see them use the same stuff and love it despite it tasting prety much the same but I think its partly down to portion sizes and presentation and I eat till I feel like stopping, I aint a pig despite being fat as when I get hungry I could cook a meal then literally throw it in the bin then eat a bowl of cereal, but if I dont cook the meal I feel hungry and if I do I feel its bland and wish I aint chucked it out.

Weirdness.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.