Would a small black stud suit me? Watch

ReputationRep:
    He is a fitty, has to be said

ReputationRep:
    I'm black and i'd look good on you...

Hell youd look good on me sunshine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Dont you ever tell anyone to go to claires again you moron. You have it done properly at a piercers with a needle. And for the love of god dont use the lotion or their aftercare tips. Guns are unhygienic and the staff arent trained.
    Even other piercers I've spoken to say guns are fine on lobes as the whole problem people have with guns is that they shatter the cartilige, there's no cartilige in your lobes. Personally when I've been in there I've seen high standards of hygiene, both sets of my lobes were done in there with no problems and I used their lotion to heal four of my other piercings with no problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    Even other piercers I've spoken to say guns are fine on lobes as the whole problem people have with guns is that they shatter the cartilige, there's no cartilige in your lobes. Personally when I've been in there I've seen high standards of hygiene, both sets of my lobes were done in there with no problems and I used their lotion to heal four of my other piercings with no problems.
    You cannot autoclave a gun therefore its dirty. The piercers you spoke to are talking ******** or you are making it up. Either way guns shouldnt be used, ask anyone that has done their homework. Ive heard nothing good about their lotion and they advise turning the earring to stop it healing over. Pure crap.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by haz220807)
    Because there's nothing better than brute force ramming a blunt object through your ear. Plus with all of the other peoples blood and general ickies, how can a girl resist?

Give me a needle. It's sharp, it removes the flesh instead of pushing it to the side meaning it can cause extra healing problems. They come in sizes other than teeeny tiny and the jewellery choice is something other than - "oooh shiny and ooooh safety butterfly backs". It's cleaner and generally a person with a needle has had more than 3 seconds of training. Claires and similar places will happily pierce you in the window, in a non-clean area with people actually watching you. And it hurts like hell.

I really don't understand gun love. It makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoogy)
    Because there's nothing better than brute force ramming a blunt object through your ear. Plus with all of the other peoples blood and general ickies, how can a girl resist?

Give me a needle. It's sharp, it removes the flesh instead of pushing it to the side meaning it can cause extra healing problems. They come in sizes other than teeeny tiny and the jewellery choice is something other than - "oooh shiny and ooooh safety butterfly backs". It's cleaner and generally a person with a needle has had more than 3 seconds of training. Claires and similar places will happily pierce you in the window, in a non-clean area with people actually watching you. And it hurts like hell.

This is quite an interesting discussion. I was only ever aware that there was one way to do an ear piercing and that was with a gun.

Yet two people are saying that needles are by far the most hygienic and reduce complications which may arise regarding healing.

Would be cool to hear more peoples views on this before I take the plunge... Or get my ear pierced.

ReputationRep:

I don't love guns, all of my other piercings have been done with needles.
    Let the OP do his own research, I was just suggesting one place he could have it done.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think it would suit you
    although the size of that looks more like a small plug than a stud

my friend has one about that size, he stretched his pretty soon after getting it pierced and he was fine...

oh and about the whole post-it thing - i've been guilty of making a nose ring out of tin foil to see what it looked like :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riccoles)
    they do such a thing?!

wow!

Technological advances in earring technology is stonking!
    Rep for using the word "stonking" and also for being cute :p:

Go for it I say

ReputationRep:
    Are there any online jewellery stores that might sell the kind of thing I'm after?

ReputationRep:
    You look like bret from flight of the conchords.

ReputationRep:

Just thought I'd say that needles actually remove very little flesh at all (usually nothing at the normal sizes, but at very large gauges may remove slight amounts), but they make a much cleaner, sharper cut and cause much less trauma than a blunt earring being forced through. The design of a needle is to create a crescent shaped cut which is then 'opened' as the needle goes through, but even though they're hollow they shouldn't remove anything.
    And definitely a million times better than guns!

(Original post by riccoles)
    Are there any online jewellery stores that might sell the kind of thing I'm after?
    If you just want a flat round stud the cheapest option is probably just to wear a black labret stud backwards, heh. Otherwise, if you want discs on the front and back, an internally threaded barbell and these on the ends.

Find a good piercer and talk to them, they should be able to order exactly what you want in for the initial piercing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAAirz)
    You look like bret from flight of the conchords.
    haha, I guess I do a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    Just thought I'd say that needles actually remove very little flesh at all (usually nothing at the normal sizes, but at very large gauges may remove slight amounts), but they make a much cleaner, sharper cut and cause much less trauma than a blunt earring being forced through. The design of a needle is to create a crescent shaped cut which is then 'opened' as the needle goes through, but even though they're hollow they shouldn't remove anything.
    And definitely a million times better than guns!

If you just want a flat round stud the cheapest option is probably just to wear a black labret stud backwards, heh. Otherwise, if you want discs on the front and back, an internally threaded barbell and these on the ends.

Find a good piercer and talk to them, they should be able to order exactly what you want in for the initial piercing.
    Thanks for those links, I've found some interesting stuff having a gander on them sites.

ReputationRep:
    looks good. not many can pull that sort of thing off without looking like a tool.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.