Turn on thread page Beta

do you have to somewhat starve yourself to lose weight watch

ReputationRep:
    im not really overweight but wanna lose about half a stone, as i have fat hips and a big bum. i read that you had to cut out 500 calories a day from your intake to lose 2 pounds a week.
    i dont think my original intake that keeps my weight the same is that high, maybe 1500 calories a day. so that means i have to cut to 1000 calories a day...
    im trying to eat smaller quanties and healthy food but still feel hungry. before, i would gauge on really unhealthy food but it would fill me and i wouldnt eat tones of snacks or anything, or i might just have tea rather than lunch and tea.
    i started it yesterday, and i got really hungry at night, im hungry now too but if i eat more i think i will have had just as many calories as a typical day...

so is starving at night or at a period during the day neccesary if your gonna lose weight and when your not able to do loads of exercise?

i mean, they say have a healthy snack but that never really satisifies you anyway so its abit pointless and i cant imagine never being hungry but losing weight.

ReputationRep:
    To lose a pound a week you need to cut 500 from food or exercise. To lose two pounds a week it's 1000 a day from food and exercise.
    This isn't a rule though, guidelines.

You won't lose weight on 1000cals a day though, your body will enter starvation mode and cling to any fat it does get.
    You wanna aim for 1500 cals a day, 1200 at the very very least and exercise a decent amount.

And no you don't have to be starving at all. It's easy to eat plenty and still be full, just about finding filling healthy foods. Load up on veg with a meal to chunk it out, mae sure you drink plenty too, at least two litres a day, to make sure it's not thirst you're mistaking for hunger.

And it's unlikely your daily intake is actually 1500, you would be losing weight at that rate most likely. You need to count everything, snacks, drinks which can add up a lot of calories you don't notice. If you have to, weight everything for a week or so to get a feel of portions.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

I've lost nearly 2 stone in the last 2 months.

My answer? No breakfast (never had it anyway, c'ept for a bacon sandwich on a saturday / sunday), a normal sized lunch, reasonable sized portion for evening meal. Most importantly the food I am eating is good stuff - tuna baguette from gregs for lunch and a roast dinner / sweet and sour chinky + rice etc. for dinner.

Cut out all the crap - sweets / biscuits / crisps...
    Drink only water and maybe a can of lager with the evening meal.

I don't excersise. Sod that. Walking to the car is plenty!

It works for me anyway...

ReputationRep:
    How much do you weigh now, and what exactly do you eat?

No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonDonna)
    To lose a pound a week you need to cut 500 from food or exercise. To lose two pounds a week it's 1000 a day from food and exercise.
    This isn't a rule though, guidelines.

You won't lose weight on 1000cals a day though, your body will enter starvation mode and cling to any fat it does get.
    You wanna aim for 1500 cals a day, 1200 at the very very least and exercise a decent amount.

And no you don't have to be starving at all. It's easy to eat plenty and still be full, just about finding filling healthy foods. Load up on veg with a meal to chunk it out, mae sure you drink plenty too, at least two litres a day, to make sure it's not thirst you're mistaking for hunger.

And it's unlikely your daily intake is actually 1500, you would be losing weight at that rate most likely. You need to count everything, snacks, drinks which can add up a lot of calories you don't notice. If you have to, weight everything for a week or so to get a feel of portions.
    yeah but i do very little exercise...so dont need loads of calories. its hard to tell really, some things are hard to calorie count.
    healthy food has calories too though, and the ones with hardly any calories, like a salad, didnt fill me up at all. if i snack and eat all my meals i seriously doubt id lose any weight....because just like if i eat more one day than i usually would, it wouldnt make any difference to my weight, i think itl be the same effect with losing weight, like cutting back a little wont make any difference, needs to be more extreme.

though i am aware that if u starve yourself you end up putting the weight back on so fast, but if i eat throughout the day, but might be hungry sometimes, then im not technically starving myself, just leaving my hunger for abit

ReputationRep:
    Similar problem to what I have, what I noticed though is that if I eat say a microwave meal or even a small takeaway before 8pm and just have bread or something after that im fine, but if I eat first thing in morning or last thing at night even if im eating the same things just all at once I gain weight really fast.

ReputationRep:
    It's 500 calories a day to lose 2lbs per month, not week....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonDonna)
    You are wrong.

You would lose weight very quickly eating 1000 calories a day. It might not be healthy or pleasant, but i'm living proof that the opposite of what you say is true. I lost 45lbs eating 1000 calories a day, 3 years ago. I've kept it off.

ReputationRep:
    no no no NO

Starving yourself = you put it straight back on when you start eating again
    If you want to lose weight:

- JC who posted above is wrong about breakfast. Have breakfast each and every damn morning. Make it your biggest meal goddamn you probably havent eaten for 10 hours beforehand so your body is starving. Waiting till lunch means that your body will still think you're starving and store lunch for later in the form of fat

- Think fibre. If it has fibre in it, it probably has vitamins and all that other **** too. The more fibre you eat, the easier time your bowels have moving all your **** around

- Don't avoid fat entirely. Avoid artery-clogging sat fats that you get in biscuits and dohnuts and anything with an assload of butter in it. Instead eat salad, vegetables, anything that came out of the ground basically, safe in the knowledge that you'll be ******** it out without any discomfort at all, and it's even cleaning your intestines of toxins. Brilliant.

- WORK OUT. Start weight training at home and take up a sport for christs sake

In other words, DONT STARVE YOURSELF, just eat your body weight in fibre-rich stuff that will come straight back out and BURN CALORIES instead of depriving yourself of them. That way you'll even build a bit of muscle (which burns more calories and so on)

EDIT: also note that calorie counting is absolute rubbish. The way to go about losing weight is to get fitter and stronger (hence why taking up a sport is so good, it means you'll have the motivation to do this in order to progress in your chosen sport.) With fitness comes an improved figure and the satisfaction of being able to climb a flight of stairs without dying of exhaustion

EDIT2: Rivita slices make a good snack and they're also very filling

ReputationRep:
    :naughty: I can tell you from experience that is not a good plan.
    Firstly, you can't choose where you lose weight from, so you could quite easily keep your features you dislike .
    Secondly, it could lead to other problems. I know for me, it was first just missing a meal or two a day, and it eventually got to the stage where I mentally could not eat anything, and if I did eat, I would feel so upset that I would have to "regurgitate" it. Sure, I lost a stone in a week, but to the extent that I was so ill and exhausted all the time, my family and friends were so worried about me.

I think plenty of exercise, three healthy meals a day and then if you are hungry throughout the day, snack on nuts, fruit etc.

What happens if you starve (to an extent) and excersise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    How much do you weigh now, and what exactly do you eat?
    i weigh 9 stone 3 pounds. before my diet i ate like small bowl of cereal then like pizza for dinner and general junk. i also ate alot of chocolate as a kind of desert. though i dont think i snacked that much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredyay)
    im not really overweight but wanna lose about half a stone, as i have fat hips and a big bum. i read that you had to cut out 500 calories a day from your intake to lose 2 pounds a week.
    i dont think my original intake that keeps my weight the same is that high, maybe 1500 calories a day. so that means i have to cut to 1000 calories a day...
    im trying to eat smaller quanties and healthy food but still feel hungry. before, i would gauge on really unhealthy food but it would fill me and i wouldnt eat tones of snacks or anything, or i might just have tea rather than lunch and tea.
    i started it yesterday, and i got really hungry at night, im hungry now too but if i eat more i think i will have had just as many calories as a typical day...

so is starving at night or at a period during the day neccesary if your gonna lose weight and when your not able to do loads of exercise?

i mean, they say have a healthy snack but that never really satisifies you anyway so its abit pointless and i cant imagine never being hungry but losing weight.
    Unless you are really really small and do absolutely no physical activity at all, your "original intake" wasn't/isn't 1500 calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    :naughty: I can tell you from experience that is not a good plan.
    Firstly, you can't choose where you lose weight from, so you could quite easily keep your features you dislike .
    Secondly, it could lead to other problems. I know for me, it was first just missing a meal or two a day, and it eventually got to the stage where I mentally could not eat anything, and if I did eat, I would feel so upset that I would have to "regurgitate" it. Sure, I lost a stone in a week, but to the extent that I was so ill and exhausted all the time, my family and friends were so worried about me.

I think plenty of exercise, three healthy meals a day and then if you are hungry throughout the day, snack on nuts, fruit etc.
    Ironically when I was the weight I was supposed to be but just had a beer gut I was worried about losing weight so tried to put fingers down throat every night, never worked as I have too strong a gag reflex that my throat tightens when it starts feeling the fingers.

Do you think that has messed up my body as since then I gained massive amounts of weight and find it far harder to lose than I used to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    Ironically when I was the weight I was supposed to be but just had a beer gut I was worried about losing weight so tried to put fingers down throat every night, never worked as I have too strong a gag reflex that my throat tightens when it starts feeling the fingers.

Do you think that has messed up my body as since then I gained massive amounts of weight and find it far harder to lose than I used to.
    I don't think this will be the reason for the weight gain, but I can't imagine it would have done your body any good.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't meant to be advice, if it were it would be very bad! But....I've never been fat, just a little bit chubby going into the teen era and I thought starving myself would be a good idea. Anyway, I've never had breakfast so that was ok, I only drank water and had a sandwich at lunch. That was it. I walk alot naturally anyway. So that was about 400 calories a day, maybe less.
    I was on it for about 3 weeks and went from dimples- on-the-belly chubby to skinny.
    Now, whenever I start feeling a little bit uncomfortable in my usually reasonably loose jeans, I go on that same pubecent diet for a week and the weight literally drops off.
    Then come stress it piles back on again. So by no means is this good advice. It's an addiction.
    Don't start.
    It spirals, downwards, towards semi-anorexia.

ReputationRep:
    no you dont need to, make sure you do eat three meals a day- and yes, breakfast is actually a really important meal- dont eat all the snacks, you say you dont like those healthy food snakcs- what about fruit or something? and this one is important, make sure you dont eat just before you go to bed,- aobut half an hour- because the calories or weight put on from that food WOnt go because your not walking around or doing any slight excercise, so you gain the weight. Also instead of trying to eat less during the day as a whole, just cut down the portion quantity per each meal, oh n just try n get that last bit of excercise in whereever you can

ReputationRep:
    ok - firstly you need a balanced diet, exercise and plenty of water. You can eat decent sized portions of healthy foods, and snack on things such as nuts/ fruit/ cereal throughout the day to keep full- allow yourself one treat a day (ie. a chocolate bar) starving yourself will not help matters at all- and can make you quite ill- this way you can still eat a lot but its good for you at the same time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What happens if you starve (to an extent) and excersise?
    But will you have the energy to exercise? I think not. :no:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.