Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

do you have to somewhat starve yourself to lose weight Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What happens if you starve (to an extent) and excersise?
    Your muscles won't know what hit them
    Just skip the starving, it's a silly idea and doesn't work 99% of the time. Eat properly, healthily and excersise. It's said absolutely everywhere i know but there's a good reason for that. It works.

ReputationRep:
    No you don't, you eat properly and do exercise. If you starve yourself, you'll end up slowing down your metabolism and really screwing up your body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxik_apple)
    This isn't meant to be advice, if it were it would be very bad! But....I've never been fat, just a little bit chubby going into the teen era and I thought starving myself would be a good idea. Anyway, I've never had breakfast so that was ok, I only drank water and had a sandwich at lunch. That was it. I walk alot naturally anyway. So that was about 400 calories a day, maybe less.
    I was on it for about 3 weeks and went from dimples- on-the-belly chubby to skinny.
    Now, whenever I start feeling a little bit uncomfortable in my usually reasonably loose jeans, I go on that same pubecent diet for a week and the weight literally drops off.
    Then come stress it piles back on again. So by no means is this good advice. It's an addiction.
    Don't start.
    It spirals, downwards, towards semi-anorexia.
    indeed, well i eat more than just a sandwich cuz i know the weight will just go back on.im just finding it hard to find the right balance of not being hungry and starving but being to able to cut my calories down

ReputationRep:
    if you cut down, then a few days later you'll start to need less anyway. so you wont be as hungry.

ReputationRep:
    you will not sufficient Glucose for the respiration demand, therefore muscle contraction becomes more difficult as less ATP is produced- thus exercising will become harder :yes: you HAVE to eat-starving only leads to problems, it is not good for you at all- no matter what celebs etc say - just eat sensibly AND exercise and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    You'll wake up in hospital.

ReputationRep:
    EXERCISE.

Seriously, this is the problem of most people trying to lose weight, they just want to eat less or lose it magically. It doesn't work that way, you have to put the work in. Some people enjoy exercise, some learn to enjoy it and for others it really isn't fun at all... but you have to force yourself to do it and the more you do it, the easier it becomes and you get into a healthy routine. No point eating badly or eating too-big portions and wanting to lose weight if you can't be bothered to exercise even a little. I know from experience, I used to hate exercise and tried to just eat better, but now I know that you need a good combination.

I do 30 mins each morning on a cross trainer and try to eat healthily with it. I think it's the best way to go, I now am happy in my body :-D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    You'll wake up in hospital.
    333 posts.
    Well done.

ReputationRep:
    All you need to do is burn off more than you eat.
    If you eat what you eat now + exercise, should lose weight but if you have a good diet the weight should come off easier. Are you doing any exercise at the moment? Cos seriously if you diet and exercise your physique will be a lot nicer more toned and all that You shouldn't go under 1200 calories because you body will go in 'starvation mode' and store all your food as fat and it will be hard to get rid of it because your body thinks your not getting enough. Plus if you eat only 1000 cals a day and no exercise when you go back to eating 'normally' (off the diet) your body will just put the weight on.
    Sorry if I'm rambling but I've done loads of research of this kinda thing :P Whoever said don't eat breakfast that's a load of bull, lol. Your body needs food when you wake up, it also speeds up your metabolism which will help you lose weight in the long run. So just try and eat lots of fruit and veg, and if you feel you need to eat something like chocolate have it!! cos if you deprive yourself for too long you'll just end up bingeing. Oh and if your feeling really hungry 9/10 your thirsty so have a glass of water and see if your still hungry after that, and try not to eat after 7ish
    Sorry if this is too long.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Don't eat at least a few hours before you go to bed coz you put on most of the calories at night. Do some exercise to increase your metabolism, drinks lots of water inbetween meals, reduce your portion sizes, switch to lower calorie alternatives (eg skimmed milk) etc etc.

Works for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    :naughty: I can tell you from experience that is not a good plan.
    Firstly, you can't choose where you lose weight from, so you could quite easily keep your features you dislike .
    Secondly, it could lead to other problems. I know for me, it was first just missing a meal or two a day, and it eventually got to the stage where I mentally could not eat anything, and if I did eat, I would feel so upset that I would have to "regurgitate" it. Sure, I lost a stone in a week, but to the extent that I was so ill and exhausted all the time, my family and friends were so worried about me.

I think plenty of exercise, three healthy meals a day and then if you are hungry throughout the day, snack on nuts, fruit etc.
    OMFG THIS IS ME :eek:

Now I'm a skinny-fat mental retard

ReputationRep:
    I managed to lose 6lb in a week and a half without crash dieting. The best thing is making sure you get 5 a day and cutting down carbs. Eat chicken instead of red meat. Drink innocent smoothies and water!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_red_sox)
    You are wrong.

You would lose weight very quickly eating 1000 calories a day. It might not be healthy or pleasant, but i'm living proof that the opposite of what you say is true. I lost 45lbs eating 1000 calories a day, 3 years ago. I've kept it off.
    Okay, I was trying to give her healthy, sustainable advice, if you want to point out I'm wrong, go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatexW)
    Don't eat at least a few hours before you go to bed coz you put on most of the calories at night. Do some exercise to increase your metabolism, drinks lots of water inbetween meals, reduce your portion sizes, switch to lower calorie alternatives (eg skimmed milk) etc etc.

Works for me
    Hmm another question from me about this, I drink a huge amount of soft drinks but the last few days have felt great but have just been drinking water(with Vimto in) or whole milk and eaten less food and in the space of 2-3 days my spots have completly cleared up and my depression is slightly better then again this could also be down to me getting over the flu but then how does that explain my spots which have been bad for over a year or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_red_sox)
    You are wrong.

You would lose weight very quickly eating 1000 calories a day. It might not be healthy or pleasant, but i'm living proof that the opposite of what you say is true. I lost 45lbs eating 1000 calories a day, 3 years ago. I've kept it off.
    Wow, well done...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredyay)
    yeah but i do very little exercise...so dont need loads of calories. its hard to tell really, some things are hard to calorie count.
    healthy food has calories too though, and the ones with hardly any calories, like a salad, didnt fill me up at all. if i snack and eat all my meals i seriously doubt id lose any weight....because just like if i eat more one day than i usually would, it wouldnt make any difference to my weight, i think itl be the same effect with losing weight, like cutting back a little wont make any difference, needs to be more extreme.

though i am aware that if u starve yourself you end up putting the weight back on so fast, but if i eat throughout the day, but might be hungry sometimes, then im not technically starving myself, just leaving my hunger for abit
    No matter how much exercise you do, you have a base metabolic rate, which is essentially the calories needed just if you lay in bed all day. This is (as a very very rough guide) around 1500 a day for a girl, but this varies a bit either side depending on weight/height/whatever.
    Anything extra you do in the day uses calories, hence the "guideline" of 2000 for a woman.
    Healthy food does have calories, but it is much less calorie dense than "bad" food. For example a whole plate of salad would probably have less than 200 calories, which is less than a chocolate bar. It is possible to make salads filling, putting in lots of variation and different veg, try not to use dressing though.

I'm not totally clear on what else you're asking tbh :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andylol)
    But will you have the energy to exercise? I think not. :no:
    Good luck on your practical test...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    Good luck on your practical test...
    ty :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    Hmm another question from me about this, I drink a huge amount of soft drinks but the last few days have felt great but have just been drinking water(with Vimto in) or whole milk and eaten less food and in the space of 2-3 days my spots have completly cleared up and my depression is slightly better then again this could also be down to me getting over the flu but then how does that explain my spots which have been bad for over a year or two.
    Spots aren't just down to diet. There are loads of other factors that affect acne such as skin type (oily, dry etc), what you wash your face with (most soaps are quite alkaline so you're better off using a face wash), air pollution, hormones...

Diet doesn't really affect spots unless your diet is very bad and high in fat and oily stuff. Eat fruit and veg, particularly those with vitamin C as this speeds up skin repair.

Add a dab of evening primose oil to your spots overnight too. This isn't an overnight cure but I've found that it helps to reduce the redness and makes them less visible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatexW)
    Spots aren't just down to diet. There are loads of other factors that affect acne such as skin type (oily, dry etc), what you wash your face with (most soaps are quite alkaline so you're better off using a face wash), air pollution, hormones...

Diet doesn't really affect spots unless your diet is very bad and high in fat and oily stuff. Eat fruit and veg, particularly those with vitamin C as this speeds up skin repair.

Add a dab of evening primose oil to your spots overnight too. This isn't an overnight cure but I've found that it helps to reduce the redness and makes them less visible
    My skin is always really greasy and using soap on it just seems to make it greasier even if I use scorching hot water, I actually havent used soap directly on face last few days but once or twice used a foam body puff with hot water and soap on it to wipe my face them hot water then dry on face towel so maybe thats why? I did until a few days ago eat a lot of fatty foods, but in last week have changed from eating take aways 2-4 times a week to when getting hungry eating something like macaroni cheese or once or twice pot noodles or cup a soups which I used to do about 3 years ago when I was thin, it was only when I started eating things like chicken or beef every day that I piled on the pounds I was always thin living off pasta and stuff like Scotch Pies and bread.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.