Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

do you have to somewhat starve yourself to lose weight Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_red_sox)
    You are wrong.

You would lose weight very quickly eating 1000 calories a day. It might not be healthy or pleasant, but i'm living proof that the opposite of what you say is true. I lost 45lbs eating 1000 calories a day, 3 years ago. I've kept it off.
    Wow, how long did it take you to lose 45lbs?

(Original post by JC.)
    Nope.

I've lost nearly 2 stone in the last 2 months.

My answer? No breakfast (never had it anyway, c'ept for a bacon sandwich on a saturday / sunday), a normal sized lunch, reasonable sized portion for evening meal. Most importantly the food I am eating is good stuff - tuna baguette from gregs for lunch and a roast dinner / sweet and sour chinky + rice etc. for dinner.

Cut out all the crap - sweets / biscuits / crisps...
    Drink only water and maybe a can of lager with the evening meal.

I don't excersise. Sod that. Walking to the car is plenty!

It works for me anyway...
    its 'chinese' mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    its 'chinese' mate
    A lot of people call it Chinky.

(Original post by MittenKrust)
    and...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    and...
    You said its "chinese"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonDonna)
    To lose a pound a week you need to cut 500 from food or exercise. To lose two pounds a week it's 1000 a day from food and exercise.
    This isn't a rule though, guidelines.

You won't lose weight on 1000cals a day though, your body will enter starvation mode and cling to any fat it does get.
    You wanna aim for 1500 cals a day, 1200 at the very very least and exercise a decent amount.

And no you don't have to be starving at all. It's easy to eat plenty and still be full, just about finding filling healthy foods. Load up on veg with a meal to chunk it out, mae sure you drink plenty too, at least two litres a day, to make sure it's not thirst you're mistaking for hunger.

And it's unlikely your daily intake is actually 1500, you would be losing weight at that rate most likely. You need to count everything, snacks, drinks which can add up a lot of calories you don't notice. If you have to, weight everything for a week or so to get a feel of portions.
    Unlikely yes, but possible. I'm on a gap year at the moment and, a few months ago, I was basically inactive for two months as I didn't have a job, plus all my friends are at uni so I was going out much less than before (during their term time anyway!). I was probably eating about 1400 kcals a day and I gained just over half a stone in two months. Not eating a huge amount you see, but seeing as I wasn't being very active, it all added up. I've lost it all now, and more, due to getting a new job, joining the gym, friends being back from uni etc, but it can happen.

He/she is right tho OP, in the rest of what they've said; good advice that you should take. My main rule now is just working out how much I've burned each day and eating food relative to that amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    Unlikely yes, but possible. I'm on a gap year at the moment and, a few months ago, I was basically inactive for two months as I didn't have a job, plus all my friends are at uni so I was going out much less than before (during their term time anyway!). I was probably eating about 1400 kcals a day and I gained just over half a stone in two months. Not eating a huge amount you see, but seeing as I wasn't being very active, it all added up. I've lost it all now, and more, due to getting a new job, joining the gym, friends being back from uni etc, but it can happen.

He/she is right tho OP, in the rest of what they've said; good advice that you should take. My main rule now is just working out how much I've burned each day and eating food relative to that amount.
    I never understood why I could go clubbing once a week and get drunk and lose weight, I assume it was because I was active as when I stopped drinking say for a month or two I gained weight fast.

Also when I used to walk to town each day and walk around shops then come home I lost weight, I still do but not every day but can do it like 4 days a week.

ReputationRep:
    I never understood why I could go clubbing once a week and get drunk and lose weight, I assume it was because I was active as when I stopped drinking say for a month or two I gained weight fast.

Also when I used to walk to town each day and walk around shops then come home I lost weight, I still do but not every day but can do it like 4 days a week.
    This is exactly like me. It's partly because I'd often skip meals, I never really ate breakfast due to rushing to sixthform, then in the evening I'd just have a quick meal before I went off out somewhere. Getting ready and stuff for a night out, and drinking with friends before hand, totally puts your mind off food too.

The irony is, back then I was eating absolute junk, just in small portions. When I was inactive, I was eating healthy food, and I gained weight. Thus proving it really is all about calories consumed and calories burned!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    This is exactly like me. It's partly because I'd often skip meals, I never really ate breakfast due to rushing to sixthform, then in the evening I'd just have a quick meal before I went off out somewhere. Getting ready and stuff for a night out, and drinking with friends before hand, totally puts your mind off food too.

The irony is, back then I was eating absolute junk, just in small portions. When I was inactive, I was eating healthy food, and I gained weight. Thus proving it really is all about calories consumed and calories burned!
    Same I stopped drinking almost altogether and started eating what you would say was more healthily, i.e instead of almost starving and getting a take away a few times a week I started eating chicken or salads often then piled on about 3 stone in about 4-6 weeks and it hasnt gone down since, this week have eaten a chinese curry and yesterday ate a 5 egg omlette(all I ate all day though) and lost weight and my skin has cleared up.

Also I gained the most weight living off packet salads and toasties for 2 weeks, gained a stone or two in just 2 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    Same I stopped drinking almost altogether and started eating what you would say was more healthily, i.e instead of almost starving and getting a take away a few times a week I started eating chicken or salads often then piled on about 3 stone in about 4-6 weeks and it hasnt gone down since, this week have eaten a chinese curry and yesterday ate a 5 egg omlette(all I ate all day though) and lost weight and my skin has cleared up.

Also I gained the most weight living off packet salads and toasties for 2 weeks, gained a stone or two in just 2 weeks!
    A stone or two in just 2 weeks? Are you sure you haven't got them mixed up with pounds or kilos?

ReputationRep:
    My skin is always really greasy and using soap on it just seems to make it greasier even if I use scorching hot water, I actually havent used soap directly on face last few days but once or twice used a foam body puff with hot water and soap on it to wipe my face them hot water then dry on face towel so maybe thats why? I did until a few days ago eat a lot of fatty foods, but in last week have changed from eating take aways 2-4 times a week to when getting hungry eating something like macaroni cheese or once or twice pot noodles or cup a soups which I used to do about 3 years ago when I was thin, it was only when I started eating things like chicken or beef every day that I piled on the pounds I was always thin living off pasta and stuff like Scotch Pies and bread.
    Use a good quality cleanser by Neutrogena or Garnier to wash your face and afterwards use a moisturiser. Your greasy skin is probably made worse by the diet you just described to me. Though you say you haven't touched a takeaway meal for a while, it isn't an overnight cure and it could take anything from a few days to a few months.

Macaroni cheese are not noodles are not healthy and be careful with some soups as they contain a high salt level. Do you calorie count or read the packaging? I'd start getting in the habit of it. A good day's worth of meals for me now is a bowl of high fibre cereal for breakfast, 2 wholemead toast with low-fat spread for lunch, some chicken and salad (easy on the pasta) for dinner, a low-fat yogurt or fruit as a snack inbetween and drinking lots of water. I also take vitamin supplements.

You was probably thin because that might have been all you eaten :p: did you exercise with it? Didn't even have to be football or anything, just walking now and again helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonDonna)
    Okay, I was trying to give her healthy, sustainable advice, if you want to point out I'm wrong, go ahead.
    That's very commendable, Donna. But there's no point deliberatlely making stuff up, is there?

ReputationRep:
    Starving yourself (even to an extent) means that once you do eat everything you take in will stick to you cause your body feels deprived of the nutrients. Just try exercising and cutting out crisps, sweets, soda etc from your diet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LottanPottan)
    Starving yourself (even to an extent) means that once you do eat everything you take in will stick to you cause your body feels deprived of the nutrients.
    Epic fail. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't starve myself, it wouldn't last one day. Instead I get all GI Jane at the gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_red_sox)
    That's very commendable, Donna. But there's no point deliberatlely making stuff up, is there?
    I'm not "making stuff up". It's well known that if you eat less than that amount you won't lose weight in a healthy fashion. You may have done it and kept it off, and wel done, but you're the exception as opposed to the rule.

Everyone has variations on what they can do to lose weight but telling the OP eating less than 1000 calories a day works probably isn't the best thing for them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but the song isn't "I like Chinky, I like Chinky, they only come up to your knees - they're cute, they're cuddly and they're ready to please".

Think of the rhyme, man! And the dubious scansion!

no i don't eat much lately because I am in the depressive mood.

ReputationRep:
    Just exercise and healthy eat, it really is that simple.
    Makes you fitter, healthier and boosts metabolism so you don't have to torture yourself with "starvation".
    Humans were meant to eat, y'know.
    (that is not an excuse to sit in your cupboard consuming its entrie contents because you got off the bus stop one stop early however)

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUTMtoiongk
    That goes out to all the lazy people.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.