Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

do you have to somewhat starve yourself to lose weight Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't think cutting out calories is a good idea.. Though I guess different things work for different people? :dontknow:

I've been doing Slimming World since January (which is essentially a healthy eating plan) and I've found that the more I eat, the more weight drops off (which is great for me - I love my nosh ).

But yea, everyone's different.. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Me need food. Take the easy option and do a Fern Britton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonDonna)
    To lose a pound a week you need to cut 500 from food or exercise. To lose two pounds a week it's 1000 a day from food and exercise.
    This isn't a rule though, guidelines.

You won't lose weight on 1000cals a day though, your body will enter starvation mode and cling to any fat it does get.
    You wanna aim for 1500 cals a day, 1200 at the very very least and exercise a decent amount.

And no you don't have to be starving at all. It's easy to eat plenty and still be full, just about finding filling healthy foods. Load up on veg with a meal to chunk it out, mae sure you drink plenty too, at least two litres a day, to make sure it's not thirst you're mistaking for hunger.

And it's unlikely your daily intake is actually 1500, you would be losing weight at that rate most likely. You need to count everything, snacks, drinks which can add up a lot of calories you don't notice. If you have to, weight everything for a week or so to get a feel of portions.
    That's just not true i'm sorry. But you're right, it's not the right way to go about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forsaken_earth)
    That's just not true i'm sorry. But you're right, it's not the right way to go about it
    Yeah I worded it wrong I see that, but most people realise what I was trying to say that it's not healthy, as you said.

You can lose weight that way, but I'd say for 9/10 people it's more about making a lifestyle change, not a drastic unsustainable change. You can easily go to eating less that 1000 cals a day and lose weight, but it's hard to keep up for a long time and much easier to slip into the old ways.

Now I realise why I never post in these threads :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    'Starve' is completely the wrong word, 'cut back' yes but 'starve' no. Clichéd as it sounds, it's all about moderation and finding the right balance of food and exercise. Also, everyone's different and some people lose weight more easily than others. Personally, I find that cutting out a specific binge food helps - for me this is chocolate, I eat far too much of it (and this is no exaggeration). I still ate everything else as normal (including other junk food) but managed to lose 1-2lbs every week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt2k8)
    A stone or two in just 2 weeks? Are you sure you haven't got them mixed up with pounds or kilos?
    Nope def a stone or two as I was shocked myself as was doing a 45 minute walk to work and 45 minutes back most days(sometimes got a bus but was saving for college) and that fortnight lived off packet salad, packet mash and cheese toasties and at one point even starved for 3 days as had no food, I cant remember exact amount but it was over a stone and I think by end of 2nd week 2 stone, then gained like 2-3 more stone over the following few months.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.