Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been offered a spot at international hall, but I also have the opportunity to switch over to Hughes Parry. Do you guys have any idea if one is more social than the other? Quality of the facility doesn't really concern me; I just want to live somewhere where people actually get out of their dorm rooms.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'll have a big problem with people being unsociable in intercollegiate halls. The issues are more finding people from your university/higher number of foreign students (which may cause a slight language barrier). Most students in IC halls (the garden halls) will be UCL/King's, with some from SOAS and LSE. Which university are you off to?

Hughes Parry is supposed to be very social (or so I've heard). I was also told it's got a greater number of domestic, British students which may be what you want. I don't think you should have great worries about the social life there though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninety_nine)
    I don't think you'll have a big problem with people being unsociable in intercollegiate halls. The issues are more finding people from your university/higher number of foreign students (which may cause a slight language barrier). Most students in IC halls (the garden halls) will be UCL/King's, with some from SOAS and LSE. Which university are you off to?

Hughes Parry is supposed to be very social (or so I've heard). I was also told it's got a greater number of domestic, British students which may be what you want. I don't think you should have great worries about the social life there though!
    Thanks for the response. I'm actually an international student myself, but I'm from an English-speaking country so it's no problem there. And yeah, one of my big concerns is dealing with that language barrier. I'm going to KCL, so it's good to hear that there's a lot of us in the IC halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xcdude24)
    Thanks for the response. I'm actually an international student myself, but I'm from an English-speaking country so it's no problem there. And yeah, one of my big concerns is dealing with that language barrier. I'm going to KCL, so it's good to hear that there's a lot of us in the IC halls.
    No problem. Yeah, seriously I wouldn't worry about problems with the social life. King's and UCL start around the same time as well, so you'll have a varied group of friends. King's is supposedly the 'party uni' of the big London ones, so you'll have a blast.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.