Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm hopefully heading to the deen in September and - while I have all intentions of doing well - I'm really looking forward to living it up. Just a few things to run by

1. How does Aberdeen fare in terms of good nights out? I know there's a good selection of clubs but how do they rank in terms of quality? How does it compare to Scotland's other cities?

2. Living in Hillhead - hopefully Hector - what is it like for flat parties? I love house parties because you can actually get to meet people, are they commonplace or do people tend to hit the clubs primarily? Are the wardens strict?

3. I'm doing a particularly male dominated course and I know flats are all single sex. I don't want to be trapped in a penis matrix, how does Hillhead fare in terms of meeting people outside your flat and course? Is each flat block entirely single sex or do the flats alternate? Eg. Floor 1 = male, floor 2 = female?

Sorry if these have been asked before, just kinda' want to get some specific answers. Sorry if my spelling is crap, the bottle is nearly empty :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    Hey,

I'm hopefully heading to the deen in September and - while I have all intentions of doing well - I'm really looking forward to living it up. Just a few things to run by

1. How does Aberdeen fare in terms of good nights out? I know there's a good selection of clubs but how do they rank in terms of quality? How does it compare to Scotland's other cities?

2. Living in Hillhead - hopefully Hector - what is it like for flat parties? I love house parties because you can actually get to meet people, are they commonplace or do people tend to hit the clubs primarily? Are the wardens strict?

3. I'm doing a particularly male dominated course and I know flats are all single sex. I don't want to be trapped in a penis matrix, how does Hillhead fare in terms of meeting people outside your flat and course? Is each flat block entirely single sex or do the flats alternate? Eg. Floor 1 = male, floor 2 = female?

Sorry if these have been asked before, just kinda' want to get some specific answers. Sorry if my spelling is crap, the bottle is nearly empty :awesome:
    1) I don't know from experience about clubs etc but from what I've heard they're really good. I know a lot of people from Dundee (where I live) prefer Aberdeens nightlife to here.

2) sorry no idea

3) I'm sure its alternate. It should be easy to mix with other flats, I mean we're all going to be living there, how can we not?! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    Hey,

Aberdeen is full of great nights out. There's a lot of variety within Aberdeen, for example you could go to Exodus which is a bit more indie, you could go to Liquid which is more dance-y. There's plenty of bars with cheap offers on for students during the week. The only thing wrong with Aberdeen (I find) is that it's too expensive to go out at the weekend (for me anyway) and it tends to be very busy with all the normal people.

I have no idea about flat parties sadly because I didn't stay in HH in first year

It's easy to meet people outside your flat and course, especially on moving in weekend, and down at the Watering Hole. When I was helping out on Freshers last year with moving in, I found that some of the flats of people were going knocking on doors and stuff to meet people and they were all in each other's flats drinking tea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    Aberdeen is full of great nights out. There's a lot of variety within Aberdeen, for example you could go to Exodus which is a bit more indie, you could go to Liquid which is more dance-y. There's plenty of bars with cheap offers on for students during the week. The only thing wrong with Aberdeen (I find) is that it's too expensive to go out at the weekend (for me anyway) and it tends to be very busy with all the normal people.

I have no idea about flat parties sadly because I didn't stay in HH in first year

It's easy to meet people outside your flat and course, especially on moving in weekend, and down at the Watering Hole. When I was helping out on Freshers last year with moving in, I found that some of the flats of people were going knocking on doors and stuff to meet people and they were all in each other's flats drinking tea!
    Friday is pretty cheap if you go to the right places. Basically drink BEFORE you go out to get a bit tipsy (always saves money!) then start off somewhere cheap like archies (£2.29 double sailor jerry and coke!) then on Friday my fave place is Korova for the rock night. Free entry before midnight and £1,70 jager bombs, £2 vodka+mixer and £2 cider and blackcurrant. Cheapsst place and best music IMO

Saturday night is same but drinks prices are more expensive in clubs so just drink more before them!!! Friday and Saturday night is deffo full of the non student population going out. If you want a taxi without waiting a year you gotta leave 20-30 mins before closing time.

As for house parties some flats I knew of had them a few times a week to start off with! During normal term time wardens seem to be fine unless you make loads of noise (loud music etc) but if you are outside after midnight making noise they willget you to disperse. During exams their are curfews or no noise after a certain time.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies

Another thing I meant to ask was how is Aberdeen for straight dance clubs? Coming from Belfast we have a high spide (aka ned) population which ensures all the rave holes are successful. How does Aberdeen fair?

My secret is that I can't dance to anything but energy fuelled dance music (90's era dance music) and also that R'n'B nights make me nauseous :P

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow and Manchester are a train away, so you can get commute to have a good night out...

ReputationRep:
    I've spoken to the Hillhead wardens - they don't mind flat parties as long as they get a bit of warning and the name of the person holding the bash.

Still though, a quick saunter down King Street and you're in the thick of the action. I'm not too knowledgable on the clubs themselves, but I can do directions. Just about.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow and Manchester are a train away, so you can get commute to have a good night out...
    Glasgow's hours away, plus I'm not going to a city because it's close to another :P

From what people have said I won't need to either. If the city has a good atmosphere about it I'm sure me and the other 2000 people at Hillhead can have a ball

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    Glasgow's hours away, plus I'm not going to a city because it's close to another :P

From what people have said I won't need to either. If the city has a good atmosphere about it I'm sure me and the other 2000 people at Hillhead can have a ball
    I'm sure we will

ReputationRep:

According to this eternal pessimist you don't meet anybody outside your accommodation area (Hector, North Court etc.)

I also didn't realise just how hate Hector Boece and the other ghettos were :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)

According to this eternal pessimist you don't meet anybody outside your accommodation area (Hector, North Court etc.)

I also didn't realise just how hate Hector Boece and the other ghettos were :awesome:
    Screw that. We can change all that. Up for wandering and meeting others?? XD

ReputationRep:
    I live in Perthshire but I know someone from Aberdeen who says I'll love it there like it's great for a night out and her husband lived in the Deen for a while too and he thinks the same.
    Everyone I tell I'm going to Aberdeen seems to think it'll be a lot of fun but as I'm not there yet I can't tell you for sure...

ReputationRep:
    LET'S MAKE THE WILDEST FRESHERS WEEK EVA!
    who's in?

ReputationRep:
    Me :d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SacredNomad)
    LET'S MAKE THE WILDEST FRESHERS WEEK EVA!
    who's in?
    *puts both hands up*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)

Glasgow is only around 3 hours on the train, as is Edinburgh, so it ain't that far away! Although, I wouldn't fancy having to cut a night short at 11 to get the train back home. Maybe if you had any Glasgow friends?

Or if you just liked sleeping in streets.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey, I don't know about that...I feel too auld for anything "wild" :sleep:

If there's a comfy seat with my name on it I'll be there though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    Blimey, I don't know about that...I feel too auld for anything "wild" :sleep:

If there's a comfy seat with my name on it I'll be there though.
    haha your not "too auld"!

My friend had to be carried home from the union in dundee for being too drunk and she's older than you! (although A; the staff laughed at her, B she is staff; C her head got bashed off everything) Lucky her flatmate was there and she lived at the other end of the street XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura_f_1990)
    haha your not "too auld"!

My friend had to be carried home from the union in dundee for being too drunk and she's older than you! (although A; the staff laughed at her, B she is staff; C her head got bashed off everything) Lucky her flatmate was there and she lived at the other end of the street XD
    I worked night-shift for around a year so scientifically I'm at least ten years older than I really am :p:

I'll get on fine just as long as there's no dancing or beer pong involved :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    I worked night-shift for around a year so scientifically I'm at least ten years older than I really am :p:

I'll get on fine just as long as there's no dancing or beer pong involved :shifty:
    We can change that haha!
    Dancing? oh yes :yes: :yes:

University open days

1. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  2. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.