Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i was talking to two male friends about what they hoped to do at university and i said physiotherapy maybe and they both burst out laughing and started saying it was wrong and for females as you have to touch people and things. It kind of i know wrongly made me question doing it, and wonder if other people will have this reaction?

Thanks for any input, i believe it is for males also, just it kinda knocked my confidence also and made me scared to tell people.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell, of course its for males. It's not like they're touching you up. Its definately not just for females i imagine more men do it that women.

ReputationRep:
    The way physio is going you won't need to touch people. That will be left to the assistants! You will just play with your computer, manage assistants and try to work out how quickly you can throw your patients out the door.

ReputationRep:
    whaaaa..its more male dominated than other healthcare careers! I know loadsssss of male physios, more than female..and some aren't too bad either :awesome:

There are lots of male physios at the hospital I'm based at. Lots of blokes go into sports physiotherapy too - certainly the majority working in football, rugby and athletics are men.

ReputationRep:
    i had a physio who was male..its totally normal.

ReputationRep:
    there's plenty of male physios - something like 25% of my course are male

Your friends are right in one sense, there is a lot of touching people - and you would need to be comfortable with that, but I think once you get past any initial awkwardness you realise that it's all part of the job.

Anyway - if it's what you want to do don't let your friends put you off

To respond to JP, while I think assistants are taking over some of the role (for me the stuff that can get repetitive like walking patients), I can't see them ever totally taking over the physical side of things. I've also heard talk of the physio role being expanded to include more OT stuff (my experience on community was that the roles were interchangeable to some extent) and even dietician stuff - which would worry me, as that's a four year degree with not that much overlap. It'd be interesting but I doubt we'd get much training

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.