Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I need to buy GCSE maths guide book. but what is AQA? modular? exerdlar???? i am quite confused

    (Original post by googlegoogle)
    I need to buy GCSE maths guide book. but what is AQA? modular? exerdlar???? i am quite confused
    You mean Edexcel, right?

    I think you need to talk to your teachers. You can't just buy any old revision guide.
    AQA and Edexcel are examination boards - you will be taking exams created by one of them. They follow different syllabi. Modular means the exams are several - dividing up the syllabus over a period of time. The inverse to this is that you take one or two terminal exams at the end of the two years instead. Most schools are still doing the latter, AFAIK.
    SO, yeah, talk to your teacher.

    There are several different awarding bodies that set GCSE maths exams. In England the most common ones are AQA, Edexcel and OCR.

    Maths exams are set at two levels, Foundation (easier exams where the best you can be awarded is a C) and Higher (harder exams for up to A*). You will be entered for one or the other.

    Most people take the exams in either a modular format where you sit several exams at different times through the course or linear format where you take 2 exams at the end of the course.

    Your school/college will have decided which awarding body to use and which is the best exam route for you. You definitely need to know what you are doing because if you are doing modular you should be revising topics is the right order to match your exams.

    There is very little if any difference between them - at the end of the day they all have to examine the same mathematics knowledge. You will however find that each examiner has their own way of asking questions and their own favourite topics so you should do past papers from the relevant awarding body for practice. Your school/college web site will probably tell you which one they use.

    You can get general revision guides (e.g. CGP) or specific ones designed for your awarding body. Don't buy anything until you know what level of exams you are being entered for!
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Study tools


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.


Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.


Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.


Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.