Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

''You can be anything that you dream/want to be.'' Watch

ReputationRep:
    ******** made up by optimists/people who were lucky enough to acheive their dreams, or a truthful statement?

Discuss...
    • PS Helper

Given fortunate circumstances it can be true, otherwise it can't be. As a general rule, ambition is [usually] a requirement for dreams to be fulfilled, but is not a guarantee that it will happen.

ReputationRep:
    It depends. People with completely unrealistic dreams won't achieve them, but if your dreams are reasonable but just aiming higher than most, I think you can achieve them. It depends whether your dream seems out of reach due to a lack of talent, or simply competition. An ugly person could never be a supermodel, and a person who isn't particularly good at running could never win an Olympic gold. But someone who is good at languages could become an EU interpreter because the only thing holding them back is their own determination, and they just need to push themselves and work until they improve just that little bit to beat the competition.

ReputationRep:
    Partly truthful. You may not end up going the full distance, but with enough drive, chances are good you'll make it a decent way.

ReputationRep:
    partly true, but atleast if you dont suceed you knnow you tried, but if you never aim high you will always be wwondering what if. so i think its better to get peoples hopes up and let them follow their dreams rather than hold them back

ReputationRep:
    It's true. Within reason.

Life is what you make it.

ReputationRep:

Obviously what should be said after the statement is "within reason". A pudgy kid with diabetes isn't going to be the next david beckam for example.

And this certainly isn't true for most of the world.

However, for the West, this is probably more true than everywhere else. To do well in this country ALL you need is drive and hard work (and the basic intelligence obviously). EVERYTHING else is set out for you - decent education systems, excellent universities, decent if not great job prospects (and you can always emigrate anyway).

The people who want to reach the top and are willing to make the necessary sacrifices and commitments to do so tend to succeed .. or atleast it seems that way!

ReputationRep:
    "You can be anything you want to be if you work hard enough for it" - that's the version I've always been told.

In all honesty, my dreams are normally a number of loosely (if at all) connected events with very little to take away from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    Partly truthful. You may not end up going the full distance, but with enough drive, chances are good you'll make it a decent way.
    I initially read that as 'drink' ... bad times :o: .

ReputationRep:
    false

ReputationRep:
    Sad but true, alot of the time it's all down to where you start off at.
    I.e Location, wealth, amenities, parents etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahstar786)
    false
    'Discuss' was the crucial buzzword :p:

(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    'Discuss' was the crucial buzzword :p:
    Your MUM is the crucial buzzword.

ReputationRep:
    No. That's just what annoyingly perfect, successfull people say, right before they heal a leper and walk away across the water.

(Original post by 73337)
    In all honesty, my dreams are normally a number of loosely (if at all) connected events with very little to take away from them.
    I don't think many people literally dream about their future? :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AprilMay88)
    Sad but true, alot of the time it's all down to where you start off at.
    I.e Location, wealth, amenities, parents etc.
    Not necessarily, a heck of a lot of the richest people in the world started from the very bottom, especially the ones you see on TV these days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    No. That's just what annoyingly perfect, successfull people say, right before they heal a leper and walk away across the water.
    :rofl: love it

(Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Your MUM is the crucial buzzword.
    Well that's more of a noun than a buzzword (verb), honestly :p:

(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Well that's more of a noun than a buzzword (verb), honestly :p:
    Well you can prove anything with facts can't you :nothing:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.