''You can be anything that you dream/want to be.'' Watch

somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
******** made up by optimists/people who were lucky enough to acheive their dreams, or a truthful statement?

Discuss...
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
Given fortunate circumstances it can be true, otherwise it can't be. As a general rule, ambition is [usually] a requirement for dreams to be fulfilled, but is not a guarantee that it will happen.
Lizia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends. People with completely unrealistic dreams won't achieve them, but if your dreams are reasonable but just aiming higher than most, I think you can achieve them. It depends whether your dream seems out of reach due to a lack of talent, or simply competition. An ugly person could never be a supermodel, and a person who isn't particularly good at running could never win an Olympic gold. But someone who is good at languages could become an EU interpreter because the only thing holding them back is their own determination, and they just need to push themselves and work until they improve just that little bit to beat the competition.
chidona
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Partly truthful. You may not end up going the full distance, but with enough drive, chances are good you'll make it a decent way.
sequin12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
partly true, but atleast if you dont suceed you knnow you tried, but if you never aim high you will always be wwondering what if. so i think its better to get peoples hopes up and let them follow their dreams rather than hold them back
Intensity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's true. Within reason.

Life is what you make it.
so.simple
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Lefty Leo
Badges: 10
Report 9 years ago
Obviously what should be said after the statement is "within reason". A pudgy kid with diabetes isn't going to be the next david beckam for example.

And this certainly isn't true for most of the world.

However, for the West, this is probably more true than everywhere else. To do well in this country ALL you need is drive and hard work (and the basic intelligence obviously). EVERYTHING else is set out for you - decent education systems, excellent universities, decent if not great job prospects (and you can always emigrate anyway).

The people who want to reach the top and are willing to make the necessary sacrifices and commitments to do so tend to succeed .. or atleast it seems that way!
CatexW
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"You can be anything you want to be if you work hard enough for it" - that's the version I've always been told.
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
In all honesty, my dreams are normally a number of loosely (if at all) connected events with very little to take away from them.
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by chidona)
Partly truthful. You may not end up going the full distance, but with enough drive, chances are good you'll make it a decent way.
I initially read that as 'drink' ... bad times :o: .
sarahstar786
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
false
AprilMay88
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sad but true, alot of the time it's all down to where you start off at.
I.e Location, wealth, amenities, parents etc.
somethingbeautiful
Rep:
?
(Original post by sarahstar786)
false
'Discuss' was the crucial buzzword :p:
Lefty Leo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
'Discuss' was the crucial buzzword :p:
Your MUM is the crucial buzzword.
wallflower*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No. That's just what annoyingly perfect, successfull people say, right before they heal a leper and walk away across the water.
Lefty Leo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 73337)
In all honesty, my dreams are normally a number of loosely (if at all) connected events with very little to take away from them.
I don't think many people literally dream about their future? :nothing:
Fake Plastic Trees
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AprilMay88)
Sad but true, alot of the time it's all down to where you start off at.
I.e Location, wealth, amenities, parents etc.
Not necessarily, a heck of a lot of the richest people in the world started from the very bottom, especially the ones you see on TV these days
somethingbeautiful
Rep:
?
(Original post by wallflower*)
No. That's just what annoyingly perfect, successfull people say, right before they heal a leper and walk away across the water.
:rofl: love it

(Original post by Lefty Leo)
Your MUM is the crucial buzzword.
Well that's more of a noun than a buzzword (verb), honestly :p:
Lefty Leo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
Well that's more of a noun than a buzzword (verb), honestly :p:
Well you can prove anything with facts can't you :nothing:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.64%
No (521)
72.36%

Watched Threads