Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

''You can be anything that you dream/want to be.'' Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think it's something parents tell you when you are a little kid so:
    a) you try very hard all through school.
    b) you don't lose faith in the world as a little kid.

But at the same time, I think it's good to hope for stuff in the future, and I do think a lot of people have a chance at achieving their dreams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatexW)
    "You can be anything you want to be if you work hard enough for it" - that's the version I've always been told.
    I want to be a superhero with the exact powers of superman/atom/waverider combined.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a strong believer that if something is 'humanly possible' (i.e. not 'I want to be able to fly') then ANY human has a chance at acheving it. However, there are time limits on some dreams, and you've got to make sure you don't miss your chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zafaru123)
    I want to be a superhero with the exact powers of superman/atom/waverider combined.
    But how do you work for that?

ReputationRep:
    If its in your capabilities - yes, you just have to work.
    However if your IQ is 90 and you want to go to Oxford, no. I couldn't become an Olympic sprinter because it takes me 25 seconds to run 100m.

ReputationRep:
    But how do you work for that?
    exposing myself to radiation and hoping the right mutations happen, where i expose myself 4 times a week for a year. theres one in 900 quintillion of a chance lol

ReputationRep:
    exposing myself to radiation and hoping the right mutations happen, where i expose myself 4 times a week for a year. theres one in 900 quintillion of a chance lol
    Sounds fun to me

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fun to me
    do you want to join me , you could be superwoman..it'll make my life easier.

ReputationRep:
    do you want to join me , you could be superwoman..it'll make my life easier.
    Nah Superwoman is crap. How about Jean from Xmen?!

ReputationRep:
    I think the whole you can be what you want to be is partly true. I don't believe in the whole if you want something bad enough it will happen.

I only believe in the first one because its happened to me, through hard work but.

ReputationRep:
    Nah Superwoman is crap. How about Jean from Xmen?!
    wonder woman is better, jean just moves things and can't fly...which is the most important thing lol

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not truthful. But it's not supposed to be; that saying is designed to encourage people to go the extra distance, it doesn't matter whether it's 100% accurate.

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe that if you work really, really hard then you can achieve what you want. If, for whatever reason, you don't make it to where you want to, you'll still end up somewhere good and that you'll enjoy because of the hard work that you put in... I really ought to follow this.

Obviously, there are limitations. Those wanting to be highly successful singers who have an awful voice are unlikely to make it, so natural talent plays a part but for dreams such as entering a tough career, hard work is key.

ReputationRep:
    One of our teachers told our class "you can all be anything you want to be through education".
    A girl put her hand up and said "I want to be a man. Tell me how."

Made my day.

ReputationRep:
    Lies.

(Original post by EskimoJo)
    Lies.
    :zomg: Whaaaat?

ReputationRep:
    I would say it is a bit too optimistic, but certainly, if you try very hard, you can achieve a lot. And you may as well try to achieve what you want than to not bother.

ReputationRep:
    If what you hope to be is reasonable than yeah i think with enough determination you can achieve it. If a homeless person's dreams is to be famous and rich it is very unlikely. If you want something like to get a particular job or be really good at something like playing an instrument, with enoguh effort and determination, you can make it.

ReputationRep:
    Within reason, I think it's a good saying. Why would you want to believe otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not a blanket truth. Most things are achievable by some people if they want it bad enough.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.