Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My dream is to be the muffin man.

ReputationRep:
    50/50

ReputationRep:
    No, that's just a load of codswallop. It's only true for those people that live in a fantasy world and have nothing but birds in their heads.

ReputationRep:
    it's definitely not true I feel. you have to be realistic tbh

ReputationRep:
    Naturally most people lack the requisite intelligence and talent to acheive their dreams, but as an optimist I like to believe that amongst those lacking in these qualities, most also lack the imagination to have dreams beyond what is feasible for them and are thus not disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    No. That's just what annoyingly perfect, successfull people say, right before they heal a leper and walk away across the water.
    :ditto: this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    No, it's not a blanket truth. Most things are achievable by some people if they want it bad enough.
    that's nonsense. try living in the real world for a change.

:stink:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    that's nonsense. try living in the real world for a change.

:stink:
    By want it bad enough, I mean want it so badly they do something about it.

How is that nonsense?

ReputationRep:
    If you can speak and write english fluently, and are analytically/numerically minded you will go far in life.

ReputationRep:
    By want it bad enough, I mean want it so badly they do something about it.

How is that nonsense?
    nothing, its just that some dreams dont come true, no matter how hard you try. in otherwords, what you said is nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    nothing, its just that some dreams dont come true, no matter how hard you try. in otherwords, what you said is nonsense.
    I said most things can be done by some people.

How is that nonsense?

Most means that things like "sprouting wings" are excluded...some people means that 50% of the population won't ever have a £2,000,000 house even if they worked really really hard.

ReputationRep:
    To a certain extent.

ReputationRep:

How is that nonsense?

Most means that things like "sprouting wings" are excluded...some people means that 50% of the population won't ever have a £2,000,000 house even if they worked really really hard.
    really? so if I want to star in a Harry Potter film as the main protagonist, I can get there? YAY! lol.

sorry, but i think you got it completely wrong. there are some things in life you just can't have.

ReputationRep:

How is that nonsense?

Completely agree with you. The thing is, most people don't want it enough to put all the effort in - for example, your suggested house!
    I find from personal experience those who put down others' dreams/chances of achieving their dreams seem to be those either without dreams, or who failed, or who just don't have enough faith in it. It's very sad...
    If you go on the correct path for your ambition, have enough faith & motivation in it to do everything in your power and necessary for it, then of course its possible. (but like you say things like sprouting wings is just daft)
    Also things such as involving fame is tricky because...well, you know!

ReputationRep:
    We could have been anything we wanted to be,
    We took the easy way out.......

:cool:
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    it's BS.

Our aptitudes are hardwired into us. Look at it this way, can everybody run as fast as Usain Bolt? lol.... does everybody have the capability to do so?

ReputationRep:
    Can't remember who said it but:

Dreaming = wishing for something that you'll never be able to have, therefore you do nothing about it;
    Wanting = wishing for something that there is at least a small possibility of you getting/attaining and taking steps to try and get what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    really? so if I want to star in a Harry Potter film as the main protagonist, I can get there? YAY! lol.

sorry, but i think you got it completely wrong. there are some things in life you just can't have.
    No, that comes under most things can be done (and some things can't). You could become an actress if you worked hard, yes, but you can't become male and fill a role that's already been filled and will cease to exist in a year or two, because it's impossible. That's like sprouting wings. I never said that logic wasn't involved too. You just tried to do the logically impossible, which is more of a wish than a feasible dream or want.

Yeah, and that some means you are agreeing with me. Most things (the logically and scientifically possible) can be done by some people (owning a house is going to be more difficult for someone living in poverty than someone living in a flat).

And re: running as fast as Usain Bolt. No, most people can't run as fast as him. But a lot of people could become sprinters, if their economic circumstances were right, and they started young.

ReputationRep:
    No, that comes under most things can be done (and some things can't). You could become an actress if you worked hard, yes, but you can't become male and fill a role that's already been filled and will cease to exist in a year or two, because it's impossible. That's like sprouting wings. I never said that logic wasn't involved too. You just tried to do the logically impossible, which is more of a wish than a feasible dream or want.

Yeah, and that some means you are agreeing with me. Most things (the logically and scientifically possible) can be done by some people (owning a house is going to be more difficult for someone living in poverty than someone living in a flat).

And re: running as fast as Usain Bolt. No, most people can't run as fast as him. But a lot of people could become sprinters, if their economic circumstances were right, and they started young.
    No, it doesn't. I'm just trying to point out that some, in fact a lot of things aren't achievable for ordinary people.
    Oh and by the way I didn't say that I wanted to be Harry Potter himself, but maybe another of the important female characters. :p: But again, this is only a dream. I can't even become an actress because I'm going to study Psychology at university if I get in (which I doubt), and I can't do both.
    So this is a classic example of a wish that can't be fulfilled, and so I will have to content myself with dreaming about it.

ReputationRep:
    No, not really. I'd like to be a fighter pilot, but cannot because of my eyesight.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.