Turn on thread page Beta

''You can be anything that you dream/want to be.'' watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    No, it doesn't. I'm just trying to point out that some, in fact a lot of things aren't achievable for ordinary people.
    Oh and by the way I didn't say that I wanted to be Harry Potter himself, but maybe another of the important female characters. :p: But again, this is only a dream. I can't even become an actress because I'm going to study Psychology at university if I get in (which I doubt), and I can't do both.
    So this is a classic example of a wish that can't be fulfilled, and so I will have to content myself with dreaming about it.
    You can do both, look at Emma Thompson, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie etc. who all started while they were at University, the endless amounts of University drama clubs, and the adverts for extras and TV work. If you really wanted to be an actress then you could, seeing as you have a computer and can search for work and that, and you have the means to go to University which is a classic networking tool and preparation for becoming an actress. You can't become a lead in Harry Potter because the lead has been filled and if you're working hard to be what you want to be, then it might take you more than 2 years, by which time the role will not exist, so it's logically impossible. You might not become as gorgeous as Emma Watson (because that goes against what is physically possible) and thus not land similar roles, but you could become an actress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    No, not really. I'd like to be a fighter pilot, but cannot because of my eyesight.
    Laser eye surgery?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Laser eye surgery?
    I don't think so, but I'll look into it again.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    You can do both, look at Emma Thompson, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie etc. who all started while they were at University, the endless amounts of University drama clubs, and the adverts for extras and TV work. If you really wanted to be an actress then you could, seeing as you have a computer and can search for work and that, and you have the means to go to University which is a classic networking tool and preparation for becoming an actress. You can't become a lead in Harry Potter because the lead has been filled and if you're working hard to be what you want to be, then it might take you more than 2 years, by which time the role will not exist, so it's logically impossible. You might not become as gorgeous as Emma Watson (because that goes against what is physically possible) and thus not land similar roles, but you could become an actress.
    Haha, I can tell that you're a big fan of Emma Watson.
    You seem to have missed out what I said in my last post: "Some, in fact, a lot of dreams are not achievable for ordinary people". Actors and actresses like the ones you mentioned aren't ordinary, they are talented and know how to juggle their careers with other interests they might have in life, very much like Miss Emma Watson herself (she's going to Brown university in september).
    And exactly how is university a classic networking tool to become an actress? Unless you do a Drama course at uni or have studied at places such as RADA, fat chance.
    Honestly, you just have to look at reality from time to time. Becoming actor/actress is an extremely difficult thing to do, it's almost impossible, seeing as there are about a billion other girls like me who want to do the same, probably each of them more talented than the next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    I don't think so, but I'll look into it again.

Thanks
    On a slightly derailing serious point, a friend of mind joined the RAF after he had laser eye surgery for his short-sightedness, I think you have to wait a few years after the surgery to ensure it's 100% fixed before you can join though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think this is true...

ReputationRep:
    This is true to some extent, as long as your dreams are realistic.

I think most people are aware of where their natural talents and passions lie, and their dreams and ambitions develop from this.
    Most people don't dream of doing things they find difficult or boring. Someone who finds GCSE Maths incredibly difficult won't dream of becoming an eminent Maths Professor.

Someone who wants to be a singer, but has a horrible singing voice, will soon find themselves losing this ambition as they're repeatedly discouraged by all those around them, and faced with derision and disbelief whenever they open their mouths.

So yeah, I believe this is somewhat true, as long as you meet the following conditions:

1. You're naturally fairly OK at it (whatever it may be). You don't have to be AMAZING, although this obviously helps, because your talents can be honed and developed.
    2. You want it badly.
    3. You're prepared to work like a dog and do whatever it takes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Obviously what should be said after the statement is "within reason". A pudgy kid with diabetes isn't going to be the next david beckam for example.

And this certainly isn't true for most of the world.

However, for the West, this is probably more true than everywhere else. To do well in this country ALL you need is drive and hard work (and the basic intelligence obviously). EVERYTHING else is set out for you - decent education systems, excellent universities, decent if not great job prospects (and you can always emigrate anyway).

The people who want to reach the top and are willing to make the necessary sacrifices and commitments to do so tend to succeed .. or atleast it seems that way!
    I'd completely disagree that all you need is drive and hard work. I know people who've worked 70 hour weeks for 10k/year, and whilst in doing so they provided employment and incomes for several employees, their aims were to be financially comfortable and be independent, which despite the hard work, drive and positive contribution to society, those goals were not realised.

There are many things preventing people realising their dreams. For one we don't live in a meritocracy, we live in a generally static society, where, regardless of ability, you're more likely than not to end up socially and financially in a very similar position in society in comparison to the position you started in. It's far easier for those whose parents who can afford the best education for their children, can get their children into professions and universities through their contacts and so on to get the top jobs and top university places regardless of ability, whilst one of the 3 million children in this country currently living in poverty, going to a failing school, achieving As against the odds at GCSE and doing well at A Level may struggle to get into a top university because of the lack of contacts or not having an attractive school name on their record, and even if they do, many people will still miss out because of social barriers, like family and friend only schemes which operate in many professions, and so will struggle or completely fail to achieve their goals.

The lack of social mobility in our nation indicates that if someone's aim is to further remove themselves from the poverty line and improve their position financially or professionally in society, then the majority of the time this does not happen.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.