The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You could talk to the teachers at your school and see if you can use the science labs for the coursework?
Reply 2
Where would you be sitting the exam btw?
Reply 3
lekky
As the title says, if you self-teach a GCSE, you can enter yourself as an external candidate for the exam, but how do you do the coursework? :confused:

Do IGCSE, you can opt for an alternative to coursework, which is piss easy. ;]
Reply 4
star_5
You could talk to the teachers at your school and see if you can use the science labs for the coursework?

I go to an FE college, and they will let me enter myself as an external candidate but coursework has to be supervised and so their policy is that they won't allow me to do this as it would take up teacher time. I may approach the teachers individually as I have a good reputation with teachers but they do tend to follow policy, so I'm not holding out hope on this one.

I will sit the exam as an external candidate at my college.

Ben77mc
Do IGCSE, you can opt for an alternative to coursework, which is piss easy. ;]

I'll look into this, but is IGCSE as well regarded as a normal GCSE? Is the syllabus similar/the same? I've already gone over a lot of the theory so I wouldn't want to re-do it.
Reply 5
lekky
I go to an FE college, and they will let me enter myself as an external candidate but coursework has to be supervised and so their policy is that they won't allow me to do this as it would take up teacher time. I may approach the teachers individually as I have a good reputation with teachers but they do tend to follow policy, so I'm not holding out hope on this one.

I will sit the exam as an external candidate at my college.

I'll look into this, but is IGCSE as well regarded as a normal GCSE? Is the syllabus similar/the same? I've already gone over a lot of the theory so I wouldn't want to re-do it.

They are regarded as the same by universities.
Also, a lot of it overlaps, apart from there is no astronomy in IGCSE (which I was sad about).
Reply 6
Ben77mc
They are regarded as the same by universities.
Also, a lot of it overlaps, apart from there is no astronomy in IGCSE (which I was sad about).

Thanks for the tip I'll look into it.
Bloody hell you're brave, I couldn't even do it with a teacher!
:biggrin:
lekky
As the title says, if you self-teach a GCSE, you can enter yourself as an external candidate for the exam, but how do you do the coursework? :confused:

Are you sure you can enter yourself in for a self-teach coursework module? We were told that if we were self teaching any subject then we had to choose and exam board that had no coursework or we had to choose the non-coursework module since there could be no teacher pupil communication for the coursework.
Reply 9
thetopnotch
Are you sure you can enter yourself in for a self-teach coursework module? We were told that if we were self teaching any subject then we had to choose and exam board that had no coursework or we had to choose the non-coursework module since there could be no teacher pupil communication for the coursework.

I've no idea seeing as I've had no advice from anyone and know no one who has self-taught a GCSE and have never done so myself before. :o:
lekky
I've no idea seeing as I've had no advice from anyone and know no one who has self-taught a GCSE and have never done so myself before. :o:

Do you have an examinations officer at school? They'll will be the best person to approach in order to find out :smile: I self taught an A Level and I was told to not pick the coursework element. I didn't self teach a GCSE so I'm not too sure about that but i guess the same rules would apply too. I guess the best way to find out would be to speak to someone at school when you get back :smile:
I did this for GCSE Science. If you are interested in doing a distance learning course, I recommended Oxford Open Learning. For the AQA specification, there is a practical skills assessment and a written exam. If you want to enter as a private candidate, you will need to find an exam centre willing to accept you. This is usually a local school or college.

Details of the Individual Skills Assessments are available on the AQA website. You will need to pick one of these and ensure that you have all the equipment required. You need to produce a graph and a table of results and find someone to authenticate it for you. This is to confirm that it is all your own work. This can be a private tutor, but if you register with OOL, they can do this for you. However, it is more expensive.

You take your work to the accomodating centre and are required to sit a written test. This is 45 minutes long. It contributes 25% of the final mark. The same applies to Additional Science and the separate GCSE sciences - Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Hope this helps. Do post again if you need more information.
Reply 12
student070289
I did this for GCSE Science. If you are interested in doing a distance learning course, I recommended Oxford Open Learning. For the AQA specification, there is a practical skills assessment and a written exam. If you want to enter as a private candidate, you will need to find an exam centre willing to accept you. This is usually a local school or college.

Details of the Individual Skills Assessments are available on the AQA website. You will need to pick one of these and ensure that you have all the equipment required. You need to produce a graph and a table of results and find someone to authenticate it for you. This is to confirm that it is all your own work. This can be a private tutor, but if you register with OOL, they can do this for you. However, it is more expensive.

You take your work to the accomodating centre and are required to sit a written test. This is 45 minutes long. It contributes 25% of the final mark. The same applies to Additional Science and the separate GCSE sciences - Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Hope this helps. Do post again if you need more information.

Thanks really useful :smile:

All the distance learning courses seem to be really expensive. Is it worth it? I don't seem to be doing particuarly badly with just the text books & syllabus, and the money I'm saving I could spend on a few hours tuition before the exam.

I think I may be able to get one of my current teachers (doing A Levels at an FE college) to autheticate my work. Do I not have to do an experiment? Again I may be able to persaude some to do this with me at college but I'm not 100% confident this will work. lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending