Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm told Imperial overall has relatively less female students, and Physics being a male-dominated subject anyway, I'm hoping I'm not the only one...

ReputationRep:
    No, there are none. Give up now!

ReputationRep:
    There are no girls at Imperial. Don't even try!

ReputationRep:
    You might find one or two but they might not even use TSR :p:

ReputationRep:
    Learner Dancer (although I believe she may be switching to Computer Science)

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear... looks like another four years of being an oddity await me, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I'm joking. In our year there are about 60-70 girls maybe? In a year of 200 ish.

ReputationRep:
    i'm a girl and i think physics was the most disgusting thing i studied during gcses, i would rather of done p.e and chemistry and maths all day instead of one lesson of physics, i don't tihnk you're gonna get much meat bro, if thats what you were hoping for.

ReputationRep:
    So about a third, that's much higher than what I was expecting! Thank you Mr Pulkpull, you have eased my worries =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lykastar)
    So about a third, that's much higher than what I was expecting! Thank you Mr Pulkpull, you have eased my worries =)
    I think it's approx 1/4 girls, so my numbers are slightly off somewhere (I think there must actually be more like 250 in our year because there aren't enough seats in the lecture theatre!) Physics is nowhere near the worst subject in terms of M/F ratio so it's not so bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulkpull)
    I think it's approx 1/4 girls, so my numbers are slightly off somewhere (I think there must actually be more like 250 in our year because there aren't enough seats in the lecture theatre!) Physics is nowhere near the worst subject in terms of M/F ratio so it's not so bad.
    Not enough seats! That's shocking! I expected better of Imperial. What do they do with all the money, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lykastar)
    Not enough seats! That's shocking! I expected better of Imperial. What do they do with all the money, eh?
    I think it was an accident. Apparently more people made their offers than usual and they can't turn them away! It wasn't a problem anyway, not enough people actually turn up to lectures.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Physics Yeah, its really not that bad, my friend there said its almost 1/3 girls this year. You'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    I'm PLANNING to do Physics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    I'm PLANNING to do Physics!
    This. 2010 entry, here's hoping... (and I'm in IB as well ha)

Is it true females get a bit of an advantage? I've been told that because of how things like physics are male-dominated, universities claim they aren't biased, but females are a bit more likely to get in?
    No idea if there is a shred of truth to this. Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of girls having an advantage as well somewhere. I'm also applying for physics, finding the a-level just brilliant so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fakeplastictrees)
    This. 2010 entry, here's hoping... (and I'm in IB as well ha)

Is it true females get a bit of an advantage? I've been told that because of how things like physics are male-dominated, universities claim they aren't biased, but females are a bit more likely to get in?
    No idea if there is a shred of truth to this. Anyone?
    I'm not sure about Imperial, but Oxford definitely don't allow women any advantage over men. I heard one of their Physics professors saying that there have been years when they haven't had any female students come in at all! It's hardly likely that none applied.

It's probable that other unis give female students an advantage in subjects like Physics, though.

ReputationRep:
    Most of my friends in physics were girls...

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why physics is dominated by male students, is it because men are capable, or because women are incapable :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    hey, hopefully if my results are good! I'll be doing physics in Oct

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.