Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hope this is in the right forum...

PLEASE QUOTE ME if you reply :-)

I am turning 21 soon and my parents wanted to treat me to something nice... I was considering a photoshoot where they give you a makeover and make you look great, and then you get all the different looks and photos?

I saw their examples in the shop and they seemed amazing how they made the photos of people look. I'm quite vain so I'd love some really nice pictures, but I don't think I am photogenic... I get some really nice pics but others I just look blah even if I go out looking nice xD

Also, I already wear a lot of makeup so I don't know if they could do more ?

Is it worth it??? I think it'd be fun but it's expensive if I will just come out the same as on my regular camera haha, it'd be nice to have something extra nice, like when they do celeb shoots!

(Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    I hope this is in the right forum...

PLEASE QUOTE ME if you reply :-)

I am turning 21 soon and my parents wanted to treat me to something nice... I was considering a photoshoot where they give you a makeover and make you look great, and then you get all the different looks and photos?

I saw their examples in the shop and they seemed amazing how they made the photos of people look. I'm quite vain so I'd love some really nice pictures, but I don't think I am photogenic... I get some really nice pics but others I just look blah even if I go out looking nice xD

Also, I already wear a lot of makeup so I don't know if they could do more ?

Is it worth it??? I think it'd be fun but it's expensive if I will just come out the same as on my regular camera haha, it'd be nice to have something extra nice, like when they do celeb shoots!

Hmmm - when I had pictures taken for my 16th and 21st the place where my mum booked me in to have them done offered to do my make up and etc. My mum declined - purely on the fact she didn't like the look of the ''professional make up''. However on the plus side the pictures do come out nice (I would post one of mine, but they are family pictures which I wish not to share with people on tsr).

IMO by all means go for the shoot itself - but perhaps look further into the make up itself and ask if you can see more samples and etc.

Hope that kinda helps (and i've answered your query?).

EDIT: Ok re reading your post, I think I have completely and utterly misunderstood what you meant! Ah well, my garbage is still here for you to read lol :tongue:.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. They can do more - a good photo is dependant on lighting more than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    errrr welllllll

I generally wouldn't go in for the "makeover photoshoot" type "offers" but then I'm a sticklet for getting freebies....

basically this is what I would do if I were in your position.

go on to modelmayhem.com - search photographers in your area and check out their profiles. Then contact them directly in the first instance (if they aren't super professional and their profile says that they will consider TFP/CD then ask if they'll TFP/CD with you...which means a free shoot basically as neither of you use the shot for commercial gains)...or you could ask them their rates and reply with an offer....they usually work out cheaper and you get to pick someone who is amazing at photography not just someone with a shop window.....and they can usually set up a make up artist/hair stylist too....it could work out a lot cheaper than the deal you've looked at.

ReputationRep:
    I used to model and I never looked much better in my professional photoshoots than in polaroids, so I don't know if it would be worth the money for you. Maybe it would be better to use the money to get your hair done and buy some new makeup or something?

(Original post by Valkyrja)
    errrr welllllll

I generally wouldn't go in for the "makeover photoshoot" type "offers" but then I'm a sticklet for getting freebies....

basically this is what I would do if I were in your position.

go on to modelmayhem.com - search photographers in your area and check out their profiles. Then contact them directly in the first instance (if they aren't super professional and their profile says that they will consider TFP/CD then ask if they'll TFP/CD with you...which means a free shoot basically as neither of you use the shot for commercial gains)...or you could ask them their rates and reply with an offer....they usually work out cheaper and you get to pick someone who is amazing at photography not just someone with a shop window.....and they can usually set up a make up artist/hair stylist too....it could work out a lot cheaper than the deal you've looked at.
    Ahhh . .good ol model mayhem lol. . . and net-model - half of the togs on that website are crap!!! Very few with a fab portfolio who want to shoot ''amateur'' girls!!

ReputationRep:
    i think u should do the p.shoot. treat urself, i kno a few people who won a photo shoot (and its easy to win apparently) on website/forms bt whtat they get out of it is that u have to pay for ur photographs which are quite expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Ahhh . .good ol model mayhem lol. . . and net-model - half of the togs on that website are crap!!! Very few with a fab portfolio who want to shoot ''amateur'' girls!!
    this is true but you do find some jewels in the rough on there...and you never know who's testing (MM not netmodel....netmodel is god awful). My best friend is pretty well off thanks to MM whereas the most ugly girl I have met in real life (as in genuinely ugly not just I hate you ugly) seems to be shooting every week thanks to netmodel....swings and round-a-bouts. :p:

(Original post by Valkyrja)
    this is true but you do find some jewels in the rough on there...and you never know who's testing (MM not netmodel....netmodel is god awful). My best friend is pretty well off thanks to MM whereas the most ugly girl I have met in real life (as in genuinely ugly not just I hate you ugly) seems to be shooting every week thanks to netmodel....swings and round-a-bouts. :p:
    A friend of mine uses both net model and MM and she gets work from both sites - but from looking at her pictures I have to say most of her classy pics are from MM. Net model is awful. OMG I joined it just to see what offers would come through - and I had some crap people asking - especially from this one bloke - he asks his models to wear this god awful 1960s swimwear -WHICH is usually the same on each model (hygiene sprung to my mind straight away) and then he uses this god awful bed sheet as a ''back drop''. The quality is so so poor - if I can find a link to his profile, I'll post it. And the majority of people on net model are into kinky nude shots and etc and yes some people who do model on there aren't exactly ''knock out'' gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your answers everyone!

I don't want to become a model, I just wanted to get some really nice pictures of myself :-)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.