Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Everything happens for a reason? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't so much believe that there's a reason that everything happens. Too many things just don't add up to make that seem true imo.

I do however believe that whatever is going to happen is going to happen... like I never wish I'd have done things differently because if I was put in exactly the same situation again, with no different prior knowledge/experience etc, I believe I would make the same choice again. And you can't change the past so your decisions are already made really!

ReputationRep:
    Yes everything happens for a reason. But you need to learn from experiences. If nothing went wrong in life then we wouldnt be able to cope when the **** really hits the fan.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say specific things happen for specific reasons. I'd say it's more accurate that certain things happen and what you learn from it is up to you to find out.

ReputationRep:
    I can honestly say that everything happens for a reason as I've lived through too many coincidences. I feel that while I'm making individual decisions, there's a grander force in the picture (nothing God-like). I wish I could tell what it is but...you know the feeling when everything just falls into place and you're literally surfing the biggest crest? And not for a day, or just a week - but for a few consecutive months everything goes as it should. Of course it eventually ends, but while it was there I often noticed and questioned it.
    Perhaps it's the given dynamic in my life that has led me to conclude this. I will never try to convince anyone of my beliefs but I've met plenty of people that shared this vision and there was a definite exchange of "wuppie" energy (when you receive the other persons energy during a conversation and feel submerged by it).

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think things happen for a reason; there are too many weird coincidences that have occured...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackey)
    I can honestly say that everything happens for a reason as I've lived through too many coincidences. I feel that while I'm making individual decisions, there's a grander force in the picture (nothing God-like). I wish I could tell what it is but...you know the feeling when everything just falls into place and you're literally surfing the biggest crest? And not for a day, or just a week - but for a few consecutive months everything goes as it should. Of course it eventually ends, but while it was there I often noticed and questioned it.
    Perhaps it's the given dynamic in my life that has led me to conclude this. I will never try to convince anyone of my beliefs but I've met plenty of people that shared this vision and there was a definite exchange of "wuppie" energy (when you receive the other persons energy during a conversation and feel submerged by it).
    sounds interesting. i want to know more

I think things happen for a reason. For example, there was a guy i met in a strange way, both in the same place at the same time even though we live like an hour away from eachother and turns out when i went to uni a month later he came to the same uni as me, and lived very very close to me. We nearly had a relationship, but it didn't work out that time. we stopped talking for a while after arguing about some stuff, but months later things just started to fall back into place by itself. (i didnt make it happen, it just naturally did).

i have a bad habit of going out with men who end up treating me like crap who dont seem to be right for me. I believe that because i don't seem to be learning from mistakes the same thing keeps happening and it will keep on until i learn something.
    some things happen for a reason.. to teach you something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondyx)
    sounds interesting. i want to know more
    Which part intrigued you?

I think that the way we perceive things depends on the sensitivity of our apparatus. My sculpting mentor, a most fabulous woman, turned out to share the same frequency as me. Both of us are sensitive to our surroundings in the sense that we can detect energies.
    I can explain this by giving a simple example; say you're walking into a cafe at a particulary busy time of the day, and there are a lot of people crowded in separate groups - without knowing them you can detect whether they're genuine or if they're putting on an act.
    Same goes for people that are close to you; without them having to say anything you can tell whether they're struggling with something. I'm not talking about body language; because there are many people that have mastered the art of deception. However, the energy they radiate cannot be disguised.
    Returning to the topic; why do things happen for a reason? What I believe is that I'm guided by a certain energy level; we're all familiar with the notion of an atmosphere at given events and as I mentioned earlier; perhaps one is aware of the feeling of being submerged by another person's energy wave.
    I think that the reason behind the coincidences that have occurred in my life (primarily with people) is that we shared a particular wave at a given time, got separated, but because we were following a similar "energy path" and our decisions were influenced by it - we crossed each others paths again. So for me, things indeed happen for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackey)
    Which part intrigued you?

I think that the way we perceive things depends on the sensitivity of our apparatus. My sculpting mentor, a most fabulous woman, turned out to share the same frequency as me. Both of us are sensitive to our surroundings in the sense that we can detect energies.
    I can explain this by giving a simple example; say you're walking into a cafe at a particulary busy time of the day, and there are a lot of people crowded in separate groups - without knowing them you can detect whether they're genuine or if they're putting on an act.
    Same goes for people that are close to you; without them having to say anything you can tell whether they're struggling with something. I'm not talking about body language; because there are many people that have mastered the art of deception. However, the energy they radiate cannot be disguised.
    Returning to the topic; why do things happen for a reason? What I believe is that I'm guided by a certain energy level; we're all familiar with the notion of an atmosphere at given events and as I mentioned earlier; perhaps one is aware of the feeling of being submerged by another person's energy wave.
    I think that the reason behind the coincidences that have occurred in my life (primarily with people) is that we shared a particular wave at a given time, got separated, but because we were following a similar "energy path" and our decisions were influenced by it - we crossed each others paths again. So for me, things indeed happen for a reason.
    how do you know a persons energy level?

so instead of things happening for a reason as in we meet people 'who are supposed to meet' and life has a way of bringing us to people that we should be, you think we kind of make our own choices by the path we choose to take? and just so happens we meet people with a similar path

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I think you cant change the path your life takes but thats no important, its the people that you meet on the way that makes life what it is!

ReputationRep:
    Everything happens for a reason but it only depends on the choices you make. Hang on! did that even make sense?

ReputationRep:
    i beleive everything happens for a reason..never quite sure what the reasons are ut im sure there are some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaylei)
    I agree, I think you cant change the path your life takes but thats no important, its the people that you meet on the way that makes life what it is!
    totally agree with this you put it in a nutshell xx

ReputationRep:
    Uhm, I believe some people are confusing "Higher Reason" with a simple reason. Read Voltaire's "Candide", and then ask yourself if everything happens for a reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candide
    Optimism is founded on the theodicy of Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz that says all is for the best because God is a benevolent deity. This concept is often put into the form, "all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds" (Fr. "Tout est pour le mieux dans le meilleur des mondes possibles").
    Candide, the impressionable and incompetent student of Pangloss, often tries to justify evil, fails, invokes his mentor and eventually despairs. It is by these failures that Candide is painfully cured (as Voltaire would see it) of his optimism.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.

Too many things happen to make me think otherwise. For example: I lived in a house. 6 months later, a girl moved in. We became friends, then got a bit closer... Then she ****** me around which hurt a lot at the time. I decided to move out. Sorted out the new house, ready to move, the landlord shows a girl around the house. She's gorgeous, so I leave my name and number in her future drawers asking her to dinner. She texts me, we go out, I find she is amazing. We're going to see each other again soon.

None of this would have happened if the first girl didn't treat me badly. None of it. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amber2008)
    totally agree with this you put it in a nutshell xx
    Do you think particular people you meet your meant to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Absolutely.

Too many things happen to make me think otherwise. For example: I lived in a house. 6 months later, a girl moved in. We became friends, then got a bit closer... Then she ****** me around which hurt a lot at the time. I decided to move out. Sorted out the new house, ready to move, the landlord shows a girl around the house. She's gorgeous, so I leave my name and number in her future drawers asking her to dinner. She texts me, we go out, I find she is amazing. We're going to see each other again soon.

None of this would have happened if the first girl didn't treat me badly. None of it. :yep:
    Aww thats a good example. Hope thing work out for you and this girl.

ReputationRep:
    yeap.... DESTINY!

ReputationRep:
    No, life is a series of random chance and accidents. There isn't any grand force directing everything.

In my opinion, of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    No, life is a series of random chance and accidents. There isn't any grand force directing everything.

In my opinion, of course
    Agreed. Funny how whenever things are going great, people put it down to "destiny", and how it's all for a "reason". Yet whenever a tragedy affects them, suddenly they conveniently forget about all that. Just remember that if you'll ever find yourself experiencing a painful, unjust death or disease, it was for the 'greater good'. Everything happens for a "reason", after all. :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.